Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Fight it till it's right
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone seen this before?

I'm considering getting the bike and throwing another frame at it, or get this one welded so I don't have to fuss with title changes.

Input/feedback or otherwise advice on why I shouldn't do it are welcome :letsride:

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,382 Posts
Wow, I've never seen that. Do you know what caused it?

How much are they asking, how many miles, does the insurance company know, is it a clean title?

If it is a great deal I'd buy it and weld it and add a few extra braces and ride until I found a good deal on a frame. If you don't replace the frame don't expect any worthwhile resale value.

Edit: here is the same thing on a later monster http://forum.motorcycle-usa.com/default.aspx?f=22&m=356969

And to an ST http://www.ducati.ms/forums/40-sport-touring/38477-st4s-broken-frame.html

·
Fight it till it's right
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick search - I did see those threads previously but wasn't sure if this was common.

Couple of answers:
- Not mine, found it on the ol' CL
- Bike is a 1999 model with 22k miles
- Owner claims clean title but hasn't provided history as to how it happened

My plan was exactly that - Get it braced and welded, ride the bike for a while then get a 'clean' frame to swap out when I'm bored and wanting to sell it.

I've been in the blessing of cheap suzuki maintenance, how much more are those Ducs to service? Am I paying a premium because it says 'italians do it better' on it?

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Before you decide to get it welded you need to figure out what caused the failure. Any welder that would just glue that frame back together would be crazy IMO. You have to find the failure to know how to repair it.

Not to mention the amount of tweaking that may have occurred when it collapsed on itself.

I'm gonna take a stab in the dark and say that a replacement frame will probably be cheaper than hiring a welder and a frame straightener.

But damn, would you trust a replacement of the same thing? Bike frames snapping just don't cut it.

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,382 Posts
You should replace the belts and check the valves.

$100 for the belts https://ca-cycleworks.com/ca-cycleworks-products/timing-belts

Valve check is easy.

Battery cables may need to be replaced if it is hard to start.

The Monsters are pretty reliable. Forks are shitty though but can be swapped for 748-996 forks pretty easy.

If you aren't going to do it yourself and don't have a buddy hook-up then call around and see what you'll be charged to weld it. I wouldn't be surprised if you got a lot of "we won't touch it" answers.

·
Fight it till it's right
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
new frame on ebay is like $300-$400. Probably the route I'll take. Was hoping to keep it a 'clean' title bike.

Thanks @MikeGyver for the info on maintenance. Not too bad really - Glad to hear they're pretty reliable, because I F*&@# hate carbs. :fu:

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
I have actually read about some 98 ss and pre 97SS frames cracking, trying to dig up the article. IT did not state why or where but there is a list also I looked at, not that this is a bad deal or what not. definitely not what I am saying , just trying to offer an insight as to why so you can approach the challenge correctly.

Just before trading my 900SS for the VTR, its frame cracked. Seems like there are a good number of occurances of SS cracked frames on the Ducati list. Seems to affect pre `98 or pre `97 SSs. Another issue are the 4V rocker arms on 748/916/996 models. I got a used 916 with 9000 miles... and right away, I found that the rocker arms were bad!
this is a quote from an article here ducati tech buyers FAQ

again this is not meant to be a detractor or negative in any way, I am simply offering some reference so you can make the most out of the purchase if you go ahead.

I was a Ch47 and MH47 mechanic and air crew in the army for half my life and while many stressful things occur for many varied reasons, the why is always the most important variable moving forward. This is not to say that a bike is like a helicopter. However they are both high stress operating technical pieces of equipment that can ( and in helicopters case, mostly) result in death if they fail critically. I have walked away from two crashes of each motorcycle and helicopter ( although if no one dies in helicopter they tend to want to call it a hard landing) :/ go figure. funny story they offered me an MOS change etc. after the first one and I said nah I love this what are the odds of it happening again, uh huh.

Regardless, remember the why and if I can find that list of reasons and locations of failures I will post it. If i can recall the cracks and breaks were in various positions. Head tube @frame, subframe under seat, main frame at subframe mount, and various other locations. If you ride a lot you can almost narrow it down to a small list of reasons these could occur. once you rule out rider error and abuse then you can look into mechanical reasons for failure.

no matter what you ride - you should always check you equipment for stress in the areas that get stressed, motorcycle thats more than 80 percent of it. and if the only thing you do with it is ride it on a groomed race track at performance levels, then you should check it 2 or three more times LOL. if it is a dirt bike then every part s is definitely a stressed part.

anyways sorry for the long diatribe, I don't chime in much. I know a bit about mechanical and structural engineering and thought i would offer some basic advice.

on a side note the rest of the parts look good, you could always go full on and put the motor in another type or style of frame and really make it a monster - Frankenstein style - it's frahnkensteeen damnit!

·
Administrator
5,263 Posts
Woa! Still, yeah, if it's a bargain, get it, fix it, ride it. Base model Ducs are great becasue you can slowly upgrade it using a heap of interchangeable parts. Did you say what size engine it is?

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
The SS cracks were at the head tube and were fairly common for president '97 bikes
yeah 10-4 I did not remember the entire list there were othewr makes on there, but nothing was like a total recal or anything.

I knew someone would know more. I just wanted to offer my opinions on being safe and what not. I like ducati as much as the others and think they make a fine product.

and absolutely what cookie said too - lots of resources.

·
Fight it till it's right
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@Cookie2000ad it's a 750

@Oldsarge Thanks for the input, I've been looking for possible frame swaps, but not much found just yet. I was hoping the stunt scene would've offered something like the StunterX steel frames or the likes.

If you know of a good frame to swap this all to, I'm open to ideas and adding the frankenstein into the monster :D

·
Fuck it, let's do it live
3,993 Posts
There's a big powersports shop out here that burned down in 2003. They had 3 brand new Monsters on their showroom floor that are now sitting in the motorcycle junkyard down the road from my shop. The frames are covered in light surface rust from the fire and the weather over the years, and most of the other parts that were salvageable have long since been stripped, but they'd be useable after a good sandblasting... great thing about Colorado is nothing rusts very badly. I'm planning on picking one up as a project when I finish the Busa. They have engines, but I don't know if it'd be cost effective to salvage them. The yard says they have titles and that they want "$400ish" a piece.
Just an option for you, but if you go this route I'd be willing to pick it up from the yard and ship it for you.

·
Administrator
5,263 Posts
Afraid not Sarge, that's a modern FI Supersort frame, same as mine. Better looking imo, it doesn't have a X over the vert belt cover and has a trelis zig-zag bit in the subframe.

BUT i was about to say supersport frames should fit your engine, although probably not seat units, tanks etc. Not straight fit anyway. Should be good with steering stem. And swinger mounts to the engine, so again, no problem there, but shock on the SS is direct, the monster is linkage.

The 750 is the same as my SS (except a bit older, carbed) it's a fun engine.

Here's a couple of monster frames for <$200

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Frame-salva...ash=item1a08343820:g:mwYAAOSw14xWLbXY&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Frame-salva...ash=item1a08343820:g:mwYAAOSw14xWLbXY&vxp=mtr

·
Administrator
50,498 Posts
how tha fook do them frames crack-brake like that tho in tha first place?Rust,bad welds crappy metal?
Ah ha! slam downs after huge whoolies :D

·
Registered
480 Posts
Not being over dramatic but holy fuck ....

Having owned just Ducati's and nothing else the only cracks on the frames I have seen are the ones on early SS's, this is generally where heavy front end landings have caused cracks near the head stock.

The frame uses the engine as a brace for strength and stability, that one you have looks like the front engine mount has sheered or not been put back in, thus causing the catastrophic failure in one of main welding points.

All engines in double sided swing arm framed bikes will transfer from one to another, some will be a little more work than others, some will mean chopping the frame and different tanks/body work but anything is possible.

Good luck with the project.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts