Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Mr. Good Kat
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here goes a long shot!

I am currently modding my little bike (1997 TU250x) and the braking system is shot. I got a new (to me) 2008 Yamaha FZ6 master cylinder (brembo unit) and I would like to pair it with a brembo caliper from an older Ducati model (not radial calipers) - i need the left side caliper. Does any of you mates has one that is still fully functional and wants to throw it away? Preferably in Europe not to pay a fortune on caliper + shipping.

Regards,
Vlad

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,353 Posts
Hey Vlad. A few things:

1)There are two different calipers for older Ducati's, they looked the same but had different bolt spacing. Do you know which you need, 40mm or 65mm?

2) I am assuming you are running a single front brake, if so did the FZ6 master operate a single front caliper? I don't believe it did in the US, but maybe they did abroad. If it operated a dual caliper setup and you are only using it to operate a single disk setup you may not be happy with the result. The lever will not travel far and the brakes will not modulate well due to the single caliper getting so much force from a master designed to supply fluid to two calipers.

3) As long as you get the caliper bolt spacing right and the correct side, a caliper from any older Ducati through the 999 or Aprilia will work. The 999 had upgraded 4 pad calipers that are considered superior if you can get one cheap.

If it looks like this, grey or gold, and has the right spacing, you are good to go.

The caliper may have been fitted to other bikes as well.

·
Mr. Good Kat
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Mike! The bike I have is a Suzuki Tu250X 1997 and it has a single pot caliper in its factory state. It was beyond repair so I want to mod the bike into a small city scrambler (thread about this small project soon).

The original master cylinder was shot also so I bought this Yamaha FZ6 master cylinder. I think is the same as on the XT660X and that bike uses a single four pot caliper (brembo) also. The spacing of the original caliper is of 55 mm between the holes centers. I don't care if it's a 65 or a 40 mm since I'm going to fab an adaptor plate.

Can you give me a piece of advice of what should I pick? 40 or 65? What would be more easy to adapt?

Regards,
Vlad

1 - 5 of 5 Posts