Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i am using a 1100 evo monster seat for my bandit build and may have a go at recovering it myself. However i have come against what ducati describe as a 'column' into which goes a nice looking screw that keeps the seat cowl on. i am thinking that the column cannot be removed as it flares out one pushed into the seat. anyone else been able to remove these? or, do i have to cut it off and pay ducati 10 quid to replace it. two of these screw inserts, two screws and two spacers is 50 notes!!!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are a couple of photos showing the outside of the screw insert/column and the flanged end on the inside of the seat base.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Breaking shit...
3,204 Posts
looks like itll pop out if you squeeze those "fingers" together and push. try pushing the box end of a small wrench over them to compress them all at the same time. easy to break when trying to get each finger to depress with a screwdriver or a pick...

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried holding the bottom finger with a small electrical screwdriver and then pushing the other 2 with pliers. Not budging

·
UnicycleMode
7,562 Posts
Maybe a small hose clamp around it tightened down to compress them in a bunch? Then pick at it with a screw driver trying to compress them farther to slip them out?

My brother did seats for years and specialized in Ducati seats for a bit, I remember him having a bag of those things laying around just in case he had to deal with them, and managed to break one getting them out.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers...i shall try a jubilee clip on it...good hack.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tried a jubilee clip and a zip tie and neither were successful. So out cane the trusty Dremel and i cut off one of the expanded legs/fingers and out they came. Now i need to work out how i will secure them in place in the future perhaps by splaying the remaining legs out or use a soldering iron to melt them in place.
The seat foam is pretty good but i may try and get some 10mm dense foam to bolster the base for a bit more comfort.

·
UnicycleMode
7,562 Posts
I'm pretty sure you're on the right track there splaying the remaining portion of them with a screw or something to melt them into place. I considered the idea of cutting them off and using a screw and washer to hold them back in place if you have enough material to get a bit into with the threads.

I'm going to shoot a link to the thread over to my brother (toctuning) and see if he can remember where he got his from back when he was doing seats regularly. ;)

·
UnicycleMode
7,562 Posts
Oops! Updated info, he said the other part number are the WRONG ones, this is what you are looking for.

Part #17 is the correct threaded insert:

https://ducatiparts.goldcoastmotors...G0imqwVYUYUwic2QPd0SVBj8GQLXRYbly6xoy73MCjJLM

Hope that helps! $15 each isn't too bad considering the quality, and OEM Ducati parts in general tend to be pretty stout stuff, hence why so many use these seats for builds over the years.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great response fella...thank you. I have found these parts here in the UK and they are a similar price...trying to avoid even a little expense if I can as I want this to be an economical build. If I can get into the thread a little from the inside with a screw that would be my preferred option but melting the plastic in some way could still be a way forward.

·
hooligan quads
1,716 Posts
Could probably get them 3d printed and press the metal tube back in.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Reactions: remfanuk
1 - 12 of 12 Posts