Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I'm going to look at it tomorrow. It's a 99 Ducati 750ss runs has all the fairings pretty much needs new rubber and put back together. I'm getting it a steal price if $1100. It's titled in good shape.
1. Should I buy it and keep it to fighter out ( this would mean selling off all the zx stuff ( which is alot) only 61hp
2. Should I buy it put it back together and sell it? Possible big profit
3. But it and turn the r1 into a track whore. This requires zx to go bye bye
Idk I really want it and I'm in the position to fork out the bread for it but the zx has more HP and its a v-twin i haven't had many experiences on v-twins but I've never been impressed by them coming from i4.
I have some friends saying get ride you'll love it but I trust you assholes so I'm going to look at it tomorrow what should I do?

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,379 Posts
Is it running or in pieces?

They are fun bikes and reliable once you fix any quirks. They are not powerful bikes and ride much differently than any I4. You may be disappointed with the difference in top end power compared to your current bikes. It likely won't have much giddy up past 100mph. The off the line torque is fun, but if you like ripping it on the freeway you won't be happy. It would make an excellent fighter no doubt, but putting it back together and selling right away might not yield you all that much profit. If it is together and running and only needs tires, then yes, flip it. They are fun bikes with a good following. Sounds like a good price if it is a runner.

PM Cookie2000ad for SS specific issues to look for.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a couple pics

I already have a set of rubber that'll fit it

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also I like going fast but I'm more of twistys guy. I like to hit a corner hard and throttle hard through. I think it could be fun but I'm very unsure. If I like it I could afford to do alot to from all the $$$ from the zx parts

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,379 Posts
Does he have the slip ons?

You probably need a set of timing belts. cheap from ca-cycleworks. The valves will need to be checked.

see if you can find a carbed 750ss or monster to ride and see if you like it.

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
im gonna be in myrtle beach starting next weekend for a week or 2. i could come take it off your hands :)

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Myrtle beach is like 4 hours away from me and 5 from where the bike is but for a quick profit I may be willing to meet half way lol

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I yea and specs say its FI not carbed

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just got back in buying it not sure what for though to keep to track to flip to fighter but its mine going to pick it up this week for $900 the guy just doesn't want it really cool guy.

The guy I'm buying from is the 2nd owner 19k on the clock new belts stage 2 cams 999 ECU with some "tweaking" done to it all the plastics are there. Runs fucking amazing. Titled and onto the good shit pics

http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums...851EA8-10337-0000157B1DEF8F54_zps2417a9c8.mp4

I can't get the video to show and it's not giving sound on photobucket for me let know if you can hear it. It's a short video cuz my phone ran out of storage at 12 seconds

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It may be a different model that its from but it's not stock. There was so much info I was taking in I'm so fucking excited to get this bike ill have it my garage next week. It sounds so good I'm not a big fan of the shitty little slash tip exhaust so I'm going to be doing something about that but I just want to ride it so bad.

·
Administrator
5,263 Posts
PM Cookie2000ad for SS specific issues to look for.
My ears were burning. :D

$900!? Bargain.

It's a great little bike. You can and probably will spend a fair bit of time doing bits and bobs of servicing, it's all super easy (very old, basic engine design. Don't let the scaremonger Ducatisti and dealers put you off). I've done just about everything that could need doing so if you need help just shout. Also see the link to my thread in the bottom left of my Sig.

Top tips for a little spending going far:

1. Sort out the forks. They are super shit. Get some 916 series forks, a little machining to the top triple, shim the lower (literally a piece of thin sheet metal), new clip-on clamps and you are set. Make sure they have the same caliper bolt spacing, you need the later, 65mm type.

2. Alu swingarm from 900ss is a huge cosmetic upgrade. As far as i know any year will fit, you will need the wheel spindle and adjusters too. Much, much lighter too.

3. Sort the fuelling, not super urgent, but it hesitates around 2.5k RPM. This may have been done by the sounds of it, if you have any more details on this and the cams i'd love to hear.

4. Drop the sprockets from 15-40 to 14-40. Better power low down. I've been running this for ages, again, don't listen to the scaremongers who warn about tight turns in the chain etc.

5. A set of headers off a 620ss fit direct, have a wider bore, look beefier and are supposed to give better BHP and Torque straight out of the box: http://www.bikeboy.org/750ssex.html

6. Ride & enjoy. I love mine. Being a low powered engine you can really work it to the maximum without suddenly doing ballistic speeds. Great fun on country lanes.

This is how mine looks atm:

(BTW, that isn't my M-series in the background, i'm running this bike on a tight budget while also building a Fighter = skint.)

·
"Fuck yo couch" -Socrates
1,010 Posts
Looks decent but I think I'm gonna have to call shenanigans on the 999ECU. 999 is a CAN bus system like the Monsters and SC's. If I recall correctly that SS should be ( and looks like it is) running a mechanical Speedo drive which is a hallmark of non-CANbus ducs.

Regardless, it looks like a clean ride but it probably stupid loud with those little shorty pipes lol. Good luck with it dude!

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm currently fighting myself to not buy it. I'm figuring my luck is going to run out and something is going to go wrong. I have the cash just not sure if its a smart move

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
for 900 id buy it in a damn heartbeat. you cant sniff the seat of a duc in my town for anywhere near $900.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yea I want buy it soooooo bad and I just a feeling that something is going to happen as soon as I sign the title. I'm going to stew over it for the next day or 2 and see how I feel

1 - 19 of 19 Posts