Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have read on other posts that the Ducati SSS (off of a 748/916 etc.) won't fit the FZR 600 frame. Yet the VFR 750 SSS and the Hawk SSS will fit. It described as only having to take off 10mm of material on the VFR SSS to get it to fit.

According to another post the pivot measurements on the VFR are 248mm, Ducati 244mm and FZR 600 220mm.

Other than the pivot of the shock, is there another reason the Ducati arm won't fit? Is there another VFR SSS that is thinner?

Just curious why there aren't more with the Ducati SSS. I also realize that the Ducati SSS is also about 3.6 inches shorter.

Maybe I just misread the other post and this will make me sound stupid...who knows

Someone enlighten me please?

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
So I have read on other posts that the Ducati SSS (off of a 748/916 etc.) won't fit the FZR 600 frame. Yet the VFR 750 SSS and the Hawk SSS will fit. It described as only having to take off 10mm of material on the VFR SSS to get it to fit.

According to another post the pivot measurements on the VFR are 248mm, Ducati 244mm and FZR 600 220mm.

Other than the pivot of the shock, is there another reason the Ducati arm won't fit? Is there another VFR SSS that is thinner?

Just curious why there aren't more with the Ducati SSS. I also realize that the Ducati SSS is also about 3.6 inches shorter.

Someone enlighten me please?

If I were to guess it would be that Ducati parts tend to be much more expensive than similar Honda components. If I were you and wanted to put a SSSA on my FZR (which I did) I would use a 94-97 VFR 750 arm because it measures at 227mm across the pivot. Take that 7mm out of the pivot lugs on the frame and adjust sprocket spacing/shock mounts to fit.

·
Administrator
5,256 Posts
I've just checked and the measurement is right in the SSSA thread at 248mm. That lead me to check into what year we are looking at. Turns out it's from a VFR750FN. That puts it in the year group 90-93!

I've updated the thread descriptions to reflect this. Blensen, if you fancy measuring your 94-97 swingarm as per the pics some time I'd be glad to add it and credited pics to the thread, no hurry, just as and when you next have some down-time.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
I have a complete ducati sssa from a 916/748 for sale. I tried using it on zx build but went with a 09 duc 848 sssa instead. I think the more people use VFR sssa is because of the linkage it uses. Ducati shock and linkage is on top of the swing arm compared to the Honda or triumph which uses a more standard type shock setup with it going through the swing arm. I have had one hell of a time setting up my ducati sssa but if it weren't for the narrow pivot on my zx I would have turned to the triumph sssa I have laying around but its just way to wide for me to cut that much off.

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
I've just checked and the measurement is right in the SSSA thread at 248mm. That lead me to check into what year we are looking at. Turns out it's from a VFR750FN. That puts it in the year group 90-93!

I've updated the thread descriptions to reflect this. Blensen, if you fancy measuring your 94-97 swingarm as per the pics some time I'd be glad to add it and credited pics to the thread, no hurry, just as and when you next have some down-time.
I sure would if I hadn't sold my FZR two years ago :oops: My arm was a pretty heavily modified 90-93. It had as much material removed from the pivot as possible without hitting the arm itself, and I still had to take a bunch out of the frame lugs. Plus the linkage mounts were not really the correct type for the FZR's shock linkage. I made it work, but it's not the ideal solution.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts