Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Gixxer'd
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I bought an ignition switch and gas cap combo off ebay for my 99 gsxr.

Now the ignition they sent me is a 4 pin connector with 4 wires. My OEM is 6 pin 6 wire. I imagine I will have to cut the harness end off my OEM ignition splice some wires together to adapt it to the 4 pin ignition I received. Just wondering if anyone has run into this and knows the right wires to splice. :confused:

If not I will start tracing out my wiring diagrams and see what all the wires are for from the ignition.
Thanks

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
Turns over, but does it start? lol, a lot of these bikes have diodes and or resistors built into the stock ignition that will let the bike turn over but not start if the wires are cut. Prevents theft

·
Gixxer'd
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not sure yet, I still have to mount the fuel pump. I have been trying to decide what I am going to do for a gasket. I may break the bank and buy one. They are $60 dollars though.
I am going to finish off my wiring by friday, bringing the bike to school on thursday to do most of the wiring. Then I will hopefully get to fire it up this weekend. And button everything else up.

G

·
Turns over, but does it start? lol, a lot of these bikes have diodes and or resistors built into the stock ignition that will let the bike turn over but not start if the wires are cut. Prevents theft

Spot on answer fella :yeah:
I'm 90% sure the 4 pin ignitions dont have the diode fitted so its not going to start, there is a cheap solution if you can find the right wire at the cdi though

·
Oiler Boilereerer...er(s)
1,562 Posts
Just for shitsies, does your bike have the stupid park light feature? That may account for the surplus 2 pins. I'm talking about where they intended for it to be usefull, but when you go to switch the bike off you go one notch too far and your tail light stays on.

·
Gixxer'd
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just for shitsies, does your bike have the stupid park light feature? That may account for the surplus 2 pins. I'm talking about where they intended for it to be usefull, but when you go to switch the bike off you go one notch too far and your tail light stays on.
Yes it does, That accounts for the brown wire and one of the red wires from the OEM harness, but I am still left with 5 wires that need to go to a 4 pin plug.

·
890 Posts
Have a look at your wiring diagram and see if one of those wires goes to your ignitor. If it does the original ignition switch might have a resistor in it as a hot wire anti-theft (my Kawi ZX9 had a 100 ohm resistor in it).

·
Oiler Boilereerer...er(s)
1,562 Posts
Do any colors match? What color is the odd man out that you are left with?

Maybe one of these will help

1 - 9 of 9 Posts