Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been neglecting this forum and my super single project lately. Trying to sell off my toys and get ready to head to Australia to work on my masters. However, I have some thoughts on my next project, for when I return, and wanted some input. Since rs250's are few and far between had in mind a ninja 250 with a banshee engine. I know it has been done but couldn't find much in terms of definitive answers after googling. I've read the 08-present ninja 250's have excellent brakes, suspensions, and run 17's. Will the suspension and brakes with some tuning/upgrades handle the extra power? Also, will the frame take 60-90 hp if i decide to build the motor? Just curious if it was even worth my time. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Steel frame. Easy to modify.

Will need bracing....will be tons of work consider other engines as well for easier fitment. Suspension could prolly use an upgrade...definitely brakes.

Don't let people turn ya away from this..it's crazy ass builds that pave the way for more innovative fighters.

Me and another member here (who I'm trying to get to push this project forward) want to fit a 60 hp powerplant into an old ex250.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I considered that too. Are there any easy 600 fork/shock swaps. A cheap ex250 with aftermarket wheels, shocks, and swinger might be cheaper. However at the point it might be easier to use an 06-07 r6.

Looking for someone with some experience with an 08 or newer ninja from track days/racing for input.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Check out the ex250 forum I know people love racing those little bastards and have most difinitly done USD swaps for better braking

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
How about a 650 single? That'd give you ballpark 50hp, and plenty of wheelies. The 250's are really small bikes, I think you'd struggle to fit a bigger twin in there although of course 2T is smaller than 4t and lighter.

2T is also going to have a drink problem for fuel and expensive oil, whereas on a 100km/h cruise you'll get 3.2 litres consumption on my f650 single. That's something like 75miles per imperial gallon, with a super reliable 50hp on tap. Best power/economy/emissions on the post '04 twin spark like mine. I can't see you'd ever better that from the original engine wihout a turbo. Chain on the BMW engine is on the wrong side, but maybe you could use an aprilia rs125/250 swing arm, if you can find one. Ship from Europe if you have to. The BMW one is too boring for a fighter!

Hey, you wanted a project, not me ;)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Was thinking power to weight ratio. The banshee engine is a 350 twin two stroke. Operating costs arent really a concern because this will be mainly a track toy. The 350 is lighter and can be easily tuned to make big numbers compared to the stock 250. Im just concerned that swapping the motor and adding some hp will leave everything else needing upgraded.

What id really like to do is a sled powered bike but im shying away from that. Ultimately a two stroke bike with excellent power to weight ratio is what im after. Hypothetically would like to see 300 lbs 90 hp from a project like this.

·
UnicycleMode
7,580 Posts
I've ridden a few Ninja's and one of them was a '94 250, and I gotta say that the frame, if anything, is extremely rigid. With a little work I would imagine the spindly little forks or the ultra cheap swingarm size would ultimately let the bike down a little, but that is at a point where you are coming around 600's on the outside at apex at the track. Fitting mid '90's ZX7R bits would gain you the giant USD forks, and with a bit of searching like said before Aprilia RS swingarms would be the route to go. In the end I would think a 140 or 150 section rear tire and a fatty 120 up front with the huge brakes would put a 90hp Ninja 250 platform into a category all its own.

The first thing I would look for is a set of Ninja 650R wheels and a machine shop to get the cush drive in spec for a thinner chain runout. The 650R fork set can be outfitted with every go fast suspension goody out there for any other bike, and it affords you conventional forks too so it keeps the 250 a bit closer to stock looking and feeling.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
I've ridden a few Ninja's and one of them was a '94 250, and I gotta say that the frame, if anything, is extremely rigid. With a little work I would imagine the spindly little forks or the ultra cheap swingarm size would ultimately let the bike down a little, but that is at a point where you are coming around 600's on the outside at apex at the track. Fitting mid '90's ZX7R bits would gain you the giant USD forks, and with a bit of searching like said before Aprilia RS swingarms would be the route to go. In the end I would think a 140 or 150 section rear tire and a fatty 120 up front with the huge brakes would put a 90hp Ninja 250 platform into a category all its own.

The first thing I would look for is a set of Ninja 650R wheels and a machine shop to get the cush drive in spec for a thinner chain runout. The 650R fork set can be outfitted with every go fast suspension goody out there for any other bike, and it affords you conventional forks too so it keeps the 250 a bit closer to stock looking and feeling.
Aww shit, now you're giving me ideas...the wife isn't going to be happy...

·
I am a motherfucker
1,867 Posts
I considered that too. Are there any easy 600 fork/shock swaps. A cheap ex250 with aftermarket wheels, shocks, and swinger might be cheaper. However at the point it might be easier to use an 06-07 r6.

Looking for someone with some experience with an 08 or newer ninja from track days/racing for input.
If I remember correctly, GSXR 600 front ends of a certain year range are a direct bolt on...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I read the same thing about gsxr 600 forks. Didnt find the specific year though. This is sounding better and better. Might have to start finding parts.

Anyone have any experience with modded banshee motors? Wondering what the best route to go with that would be. Would aim in the neighborhood of 500cc as long as the price tag wasnt astronomical.

·
I am a motherfucker
1,867 Posts
I read the same thing about gsxr 600 forks. Didnt find the specific year though. This is sounding better and better. Might have to start finding parts.

Anyone have any experience with modded banshee motors? Wondering what the best route to go with that would be. Would aim in the neighborhood of 500cc as long as the price tag wasnt astronomical.

I think I actually saw the fork swap on here... so with some careful searches, you can probably find it.

I think I've seen a couple of guys post about those engines on here, again... search... Also, I'd be willing to bet my left testicle (pretty sure after taking a knee last week it's useless anyway) that there's a banshee forum out there...

Great thing about this place is that there's a little of everything... because of projects like this. Whatever you can't find on here, find elsewhere, then post about it on here. The depths of knowledge on this forum are vast and varied, but sometimes you need to hit a bike specific resource here and there...

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Great thing about this place is that there's a little of everything... because of projects like this. Whatever you can't find on here, find elsewhere, then post about it on here. The depths of knowledge on this forum are vast and varied, but sometimes you need to hit a bike specific resource here and there...
+1

Go ex250 forum you'll find the fork swap info without even having to sign up and hit up the banshee forum I know those guys are always pushing those motors to be faster.

Then share with us so when someone else decides to make a similar monster they'll have you thank for paving the way.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts