Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

81 - 100 of 452 Posts

·
old fart
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
got some old plastics from a 1984 bike, just normal black plastic, was wandering what would clean it up to
look a bit better, thought of car "dash board" cleaner,
anyone got any suggestions, or recommendations?

·
old fart
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
after a few days of doing other Family related things, i got on with cleaning the black plastic i had asked tips about, seems that when i went digging in my cuboard of tricks

i came across some Autoglym rubber and vinyl cleaner, gave it a try and am well pleased with the end result :)

build is now going on hold for spendings!! i will carry on with the frame work for now, so bracing and rear suspension mounts will be getting sorted, coz they need to be done and i know what i want with them.

the build wish list is about to change, i should soon inherit a cut of my mums Estate, so i will be altering the wish list to quality parts in account of the new spending power coming my way.

·
old fart
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
because it is going to be a once in a life time opportunity for me to be able to have a build start with the best bits from the start, and not have to add them on, as and when i have the funds, i am going to aim at

1) Racefit full system and twin fuel filler

2) Ohlins suspension front and back

3) Brembo full fitment

4) Motogadget full fitment

5) Red6 yokes and Engine cases

6) seats by Lucky7

7) Yoshi TMR 40 MJN's

😎 flash wheels

9) lots of Ti

·
Wanna be racer
1,987 Posts
you can't take it with you, do what makes you happy
Depends if I find his keys and when his next holiday is :D :oops:

Oh @370steve, whilst I'm thinking - may have found some oval grommets in my draw, if I find them again I'll pop up with them this evening a̶n̶d̶ ̶s̶t̶e̶a̶l̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶k̶e̶y̶s :D

·
old fart
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
as with all things i do, plans will change along the way during the build process!
I have given it a good bit of thought, and have come to the desision in my head that it will
need to be twin rear shock.
So i am going to need to look into what/where/how i am going to need to do changes to things.
on first quick check, it looks like it should be a fairly straight forward job of installing the shocks, might
have to use the same as i have fitted to the GS, Then i can use them for set up and measuring purposes.

·
old fart
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
I know its just OTT to even think about it, and i will NEVER be able to get anywhere near the best out of them, but there is nothing wrong with the odd day dream, Right?
so with that in mind, and with the "you only live once" mind set i wonder if i could get some of these to fit in with the build plans?

·
old fart
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
last night whilst dicking about with the motor that is going into this build, i noticed that it had been damaged FFS!!! one of the lower engine mounting holes

and its casting on the sump have been snapped off.

looks like the nice clean, low mileage engine has been in a shunt, have had a look at the area around the snapped casting, think i might be able to get away with carefully removing the damaged bit of case, leveling the area, and getting a bracket made that will bolt through what is going to be left of the mount.

time will tell ​​​​​​​:confused:

·
Misfit
321 Posts
At least you didn’t find a PO’s previous attempt at a “repair”. I had an otherwise nice looking and running engine that I found the cases had been “fixed” with JB Weld where a thrown chain had punched through both at some point. No mention at point of sale.
This is shaping up nicely, 370 Steve!

·
old fart
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
as i have some money becoming to come in, I have been starting to send out e-mails and phoning people

to see what i can still get for the build.

Redsix are still in busness, and will be happy to talk about what i want/need.

waiting for a reply from WRS about Ohlins FGR forks dimentions so i can work out yoke fitment

·
old fart
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
I have come to the conclusion that the FGR301 forks were just a tad toooooo*much for a street bike, for the extra £5.5K over the FGRT201 i can buy lots of extra*

goodies, talking of which, i have now come down to the final entries in the "Wheel of the week" competition, going to go with BST* Carbon wheels in either 5 or 7 spoke.

i like the 5's better, but think the interchangable sprocket/disc carriers of the 7's will make fitment much easier? more browsing required.

Besides the wheel choice, the final fitment list is almost writen in stone, I am happy with what i want/need for the build, just a case of waiting for the cash to arrive.

81 - 100 of 452 Posts