Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
GOOROO of da POO POO
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cant wait to see what you do with yours!
I'm so glad there's someone I can reference as far as help is concerned... totally been lurking your build thread...

·
UnicycleMode
7,584 Posts
I've got some interesting thoughts on the dual carb monsters as well. Feel free to PM me for anything you might want to know and I'll pass on all of it. ;)

·
GOOROO of da POO POO
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've got some interesting thoughts on the dual carb monsters as well. Feel free to PM me for anything you might want to know and I'll pass on all of it. ;)
Definitely... As of now, I have a frame and a front end en route to my residents... went with an 87 cr500 front end... felt it was the best idea as far as performance is concerned, as they had significant issues with usd's for 5+ years. A well tuned rsu setup is priceless.

·
GOOROO of da POO POO
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Really trying to assess a good swinger right now... Something that 200mm at the pivot, but with reasonable length... the VFR400 SSS looks too stubby nub for my liking... I'd like to do 17" tubless sport bike tires, but lack the machining assets... So if I can fuck my way around the rear debacle. I could probably do the necessary deeds of milling down the front... if need be...

I have to get this thing put together before I start fucking around with that mess though...

·
GOOROO of da POO POO
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
milling down the center hubs... This is unless you have a secret... You had some vfr wheels on your old project didn't you geek? Were they plug and play?

·
GOOROO of da POO POO
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here are my time stamps. I don't read the paper, so this be what you get... I know I posted it the discuss thread. I will make a copy. And post it in the build threads, hop it suffices.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

Attachments

·
GOOROO of da POO POO
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here's the XL600R...

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,382 Posts
Here are my time stamps. I don't read the paper, so this be what you get... I know I posted it the discuss thread. I will make a copy. And post it in the build threads, hop it suffices.

Maybe turn the lights on. :thumbsup:

·
GOOROO of da POO POO
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Maybe turn the lights on. :thumbsup:
They are... or.... it.... is.... on!!!! I need more lighting, that's fo show...

I was kinda stupified trying to do something legit, took me 15 min of internet searching for the clock/time display...

and the elroy pic i took apparently didn't even show up...:doh:

·
lb/hp is what it's about!
10,448 Posts
milling down the center hubs... This is unless you have a secret... You had some vfr wheels on your old project didn't you geek? Were they plug and play?
Nothing about that project was plug and play since I used a lot of whatever was laying around. It never got finished though. I traded it to my dad who traded it to my uncle. Neither of them wanted the supermoto stuff so most of it is still sitting in the basement waiting to find a donor engine for one the titled necks. Almost got a rm400 and later a dt400 for real cheap but thats for another time...

I was using a vfr 6 spoke front wheel (for the smaller rotor bolt circle) and a F2 rear wheel (4.5" wide) with a cb450 cush (I think is was the cb450 cush). The vf500 cush would also work since both of them are much narrower then the F2 cush but it's a little more expensive and harder to find the vf unit. I was also going to swap in a crf250/450 swingarm but I was going to run it upside down so I could use a direct link Ohlins shock that I got off a Cannondale. Since the swingarm was going to be upside down I was going to redo the caliper mounting lug and make a new chain slider for the opposite side. I never did finish the rear suspension though. In hindsight I should have started with a newer KTM swinger because then when I flip it over to use a direct link shock the chain slider and caliper bracket lug would be on the correct sides.

For the front I was using some ATK usd forks and billet triples. I made a spacer that got pressed between the stock xl steering stem and the billet triple for the ATK forks which got the forks on the frame with stock XL bearings. A cable driven speedo drive wouldn't have fit between the wheel and fork leg so it was just a wheel bearing swap and some spacers to center the wheel in the forks. I used a 330mm 929/954 front rotor with a custom adapter bracket and a 4pot Nissin caliper off of something. The caliper got a custom bracket to get it lined up with the rotor. I think I was going to use a F2 master cylinder and a braided line off a Aprilia Mille but I've got so much crap laying around I can't be certain.

When this project was going on I had a mill and a lathe and more time then money so that's why it was custom bracket this custom bracket that. That reminds me, I need to get some more tooling before I get started with my own build off project.

This is the only picture I have from the build and it was taken before any of the work so I suppose it isn't real helpful. haha

·
GOOROO of da POO POO
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, the frame has arrived and I thinks the drilled swinger from the bandito will fit with a little effort maybe 5mm to 10 mm off... Which leaves me with a multitude of options as far as rear tires are concerned... Well, save some tangible symmetry, alignment, and chain clearance...

running a 180 on the back seems a little retarded, might not be doable to alignment and rubbing issues, howevs' the newer aprilla sumo's running a 180 so what have you audience??? I'd like your $.02... I'm thinking the tighter rear wheel will serve me better in the long run, but then again, it's florida, and the closest thing we have to cutting shit up would be an interstate onramp... 150/ 160 seems like a happy place... idk... brainstorming...

·
lb/hp is what it's about!
10,448 Posts
Your Bandit swingarm would look good if you can make it fit but I would advise against running a 180 because of the power it would eat up thanks to the extra weight. Not to mention it's a really, I should emphasize that more.... it's a really tight fit with a 160. With some brands, the edge of the 160 tires gets shaved off from the chain. You're going to have to make some frame modifications to fit a 180. I'm not saying don't run the 180, I'm saying document it well because there will probably be a lot of people wanting to know how you made it work.

·
GOOROO of da POO POO
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm thinking... Katana 600 rim, gs500 hub/sprocket carier, with 150 tire... bandit 400 front rim...

1 - 20 of 69 Posts