·
Eff Tee Pee
29,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
WTF is a motorcycle?
3,003 Posts
App State huh, that school is in BFE.
Pretty cool though, I may end up going to that school.
I'll stick to my dirty gasoline burning motor for now though.

·
Whomadethatmanagunner?
3,288 Posts
I really like his design even though it's fully faired. and that kid has a shit load of tools at his disposal...

·
WTF is a motorcycle?
3,003 Posts
App State, I heard there was a small part of the student body that did something besides smoke weed all day, I didn't know he was into motorcycles though.
Its not that bad out there...
There's more drinking then pot like every school.

·
Administrator
6,081 Posts
Umm I wonder if anyone told him that he could reduce the size of the rear "sprocket" and get some more speed outta that sucker. Cause it seems like that would increase the top end.

If you look in the pic the rear "sprocket" is the same size as the wheel. I would love to see this kid with funding from a big company. Cause he was working with heavy material.

Imagine a trellis frame sssa and carbon body work. Lighter weight and more speed again.

·
GURU
8,827 Posts
Umm I wonder if anyone told him that he could reduce the size of the rear "sprocket" and get some more speed outta that sucker. Cause it seems like that would increase the top end.

If you look in the pic the rear "sprocket" is the same size as the wheel. I would love to see this kid with funding from a big company. Cause he was working with heavy material.

Imagine a trellis frame sssa and carbon body work. Lighter weight and more speed again.
carbon doesnt weight much less than fiberglass if they are done with the same process :D

He certainly did some serious work on that thing in one semester. Pretty cool design. One thing he didnt show was all the sanding he had to do on those fiberglass parts:) I was disappointed in all that work he put in to shaping the foam only to put aluminum foil on them and not make a mold.

gdogg, he probably had a pretty big sprocket up front too. Those E motors have way different characteristics and he probably needed a pretty wacky gear ratio to let the thing move under its own power and feel fast.

·
Administrator
50,493 Posts
college kid name Tom Miceli built this for his senior project at Appalachian State University in NC.

60 mile range. 70 mph. capability.

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2009/09/diy-electric-motorcycle/
What a talented lad.The USA still has it guys,with creative geniuses here,this will remain the place to be,notwithstanding certain political problems that are looming in the very near future.:knucks:
Full marks to the lad and yes he probably would build a very cool streetfighter as well..:shocker:

·
154 Posts
he is like you dont need to poll it, it goes fast
the other guy: how fast : 50 lol
but i like the sound of it

·
Change or Die
991 Posts
That bike is awesome. I'd think a ninja 250 would be a better starting point, less weight to begin with. If the battery packs were easily accessed/changed then he would have a niche marketable bike.

·
GURU
8,827 Posts
That bike is awesome. I'd think a ninja 250 would be a better starting point, less weight to begin with. If the battery packs were easily accessed/changed then he would have a niche marketable bike.
except the bike will weight 450lbs, having the better suspension, tires, brakes is a plus. Ive considered a few times doing an electric bike but the return just isnt there on a bike. Short range, limited speed etc. when bikes get such good mpg. there is an electric supermoto thats production(cant remember the name though).

·
Change or Die
991 Posts
Electric vehicles are coming along. I like the fuel cell idea, because gas-n-go is necessary if you want to travel any decent distance. In the next 5~10 years we should see much better battery tech, making electric vehicles much more palatable. I'll be riding a gas powered bike until it isn't feasible anymore, but I welcome the whole 'lectric thing.

·
GURU
8,827 Posts
Electric vehicles are coming along. I like the fuel cell idea, because gas-n-go is necessary if you want to travel any decent distance. In the next 5~10 years we should see much better battery tech, making electric vehicles much more palatable. I'll be riding a gas powered bike until it isn't feasible anymore, but I welcome the whole 'lectric thing.
well not just cost but the production it takes to make batteries is very bad for the environment. Not to mention what happens in a crash. thats a lot of centralized mass and potentially some nasty chemicals making some hazmat issues.

I think purely electric vehicles are a novelty and will always be so. They will never replace other forms of transport but will hold us until we find a better way.

·
******* Dumbass
5,796 Posts
I just bought this book, and I'm doing my own fuel cell stuff research now. I also bought this book on Hydrogen systems. The fuel cell book has directions to make your own membrane system from scratch, and the hydrogen book has all the formulas for electrolysing water into H and O gas.

·
GURU
8,827 Posts
I just bought this book, and I'm doing my own fuel cell stuff research now. I also bought this book on Hydrogen systems. The fuel cell book has directions to make your own membrane system from scratch, and the hydrogen book has all the formulas for electrolysing water into H and O gas.
just dont go to water4gas.com:)

·
******* Dumbass
5,796 Posts
They have a good idea, just don;t do it right. I'm working on something to tap wasted energy (not free, just what we don't currently use effectively) to run the cell. My college thermodynaics thesis was on fuel cells and hydrogen electrolysis, and I've let a lot of that knowledge slip, but the math work IF you can figure out how to not lose more energy than you get out of it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts