Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an electric fan or two laying around and I was just thinking about maybe mounting a couple to the oil cooler on my slingshot. Would there be a significant benefit or would the added airflow be negligible?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
222 Posts
You would need to find the operating temp range of the motor oil. There is a such thing as too cool for oil. Unless you are thrashing it on the track, its unnecessary.

·
Oiler Boilereerer...er(s)
1,562 Posts
You would have to know the ideal temp of the oil, and have a gauge on the bike (at least temp) to confirm that it is shutting off and turning on to maintain it.

Personally, I think there are better things you can be doing than that. Oil boilers have been boiling for 20 years just fine.

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
seems like most people that add a fan to an oil cooler is on a HD haha

Reactions: tsukuyomi79

·
Fast ZX-12R
17,522 Posts
Jagg makes a ten row oil cooler with a fan built into it. The valve for the oil cooler opens at 180 degrees and the fan kicks on at 205 Degrees. Really the only benefit you would get as said, idling in traffic it would help a lot. Most HD's don't like idling for very long.

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
the stock oil cooler doesnt have a temp based valve or anything though. does it? id imagine that would mess with oil pressure

·
Oiler Boilereerer...er(s)
1,562 Posts

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the stock oil cooler doesnt have a temp based valve or anything though. does it? id imagine that would mess with oil pressure

If youre talking about some kind of thermostat then no it doesnt. I thought there might be an oil temp sensor in line somewhere on this thing. Was thinking I could wire the fan to the sensor OR just run a toggle switch which is much more simple in design. It was just a thought. Didnt know if it would help.

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
I'm pretty sure any blockage in the line would cause some sort of failure do to no oil flow. Have you thought about an oil cooler from a newer gsxr 1000 or hayabusa?

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm pretty sure any blockage in the line would cause some sort of failure do to no oil flow. Have you thought about an oil cooler from a newer gsxr 1000 or hayabusa?

I didnt wanan use an oil cooler off a water cooled bike as from what I've seen theyre much smaller on the watecooled engines.

letit get HOT Mark oil flows real wel at high temps ;)
Dually noted Robbo.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts