Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 602 Posts

·
Night Crawler
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I'm new to this place. I'm from NZ, and I'm supposedly a qualified industrial designer but I'm currently studying CAD. My project is a 1987 VFR400 nc24.

I am converting it to electric, but I want to give it a new look as well. New sub frame, new lights, new 'tank'. It will need some kind of frame to support the battery box and become a stressed member. Thinking of 1mm stainless steel, laser cut for the battery box. This thread won't move super fast, but I hope it doesn't take years either. My motor is turning up in a few weeks! For anyone interested in the gear: AC15 motor, Winston 60aH batteries (24) and curtis 550A controller. Bike will have regen as standard as its an AC motor.

Yellow lines show rough idea for tubular frame.

I'm using/will be using programs such as Inventor and Solidworks to figure things out. Also Pepakura (great for figuring out nets etc for building faceted tanks/ fairings etc

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Welcome to CF....... I'm really curious to see this. How fast do you think it'll go? What do you think the weight will be fully built? How long will your charge last?
Like I said I'm really curious about it. Lol

·
Night Crawler
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome to CF....... I'm really curious to see this. How fast do you think it'll go? What do you think the weight will be fully built? How long will your charge last?
Like I said I'm really curious about it. Lol
I'm not an electrical engineer but in a nutshell: The motor has more performance capability than the controller or batteries.. I can't really afford the 650A controller which would allow the motor to reach its maximum potential. The Winston batteries are probably what you would call tried and true. They should be reliable but their impulse rating is not very high so you can't really draw even 550A from the pack. I'll have to limit the controller draw. I think limiting the Amps per second increase is important, which will limit acceleration. The batteries are only 60aH. I chose this relatively small capacity because a) lower cost and b) they are smaller and look way better that a massive 90aH pack. With the right gearing, I'd say this bike would do almost 180km/h but this would sacrifice a lot of torque. I'm pretty sure I'm going to choose a ratio that limits the bike to around 140-150km/h. It will have a small battery pack so only suitable for quick blasts around town anyway. Maybe 100km round town but only 50-60k pinning it. Sounds pretty average but its a cost thing more than a technology thing in my case. Oh and the weight: Should be slightly lighter than it was, I'll be more specific as time goes on.

·
Stupid motherfucker
6,826 Posts
Fuck it, show up to spin a yarn nonetheless. I won't be riding for a few weeks after this Wednesday, but I'll still be showing up to drink piss and talk shit. It's a good vibe and there's a lot of custom oddball machinery.

·
Night Crawler
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looking good buddy,
I am a designer myself (Automotive) and have been building an electric bobber, never bothered with doing a fighter due to the range and speed restraints.
I have a hell of a lot of info on the electric side if you ever get stuck so feel free to bounce some ideas off me.

Keep it up.
Thanks for that. Some interesting stuff in your website. I think 90% of the time, range isn't going to be an issue for me. Sure some people wouldn't be happy with a top speed of 150k, but if you put it an AC20 motor, 650A controller and batteries with a higher impulse rating, you would be laughing all the way to 200k. Although as you probably know, this would cost significantly more than a gas powered bike. I'll definitely be asking people for their thoughts on the bike as time goes on, maybe not so much on the electrical side, as my brother is an electric engineer who has just converted a Honda Torneo sedan to electric, it goes so hard! http://www.evconversion.co.nz/updates/ But even with Ed helping me out, I'll still listen to what anyone has to say.

1 - 20 of 602 Posts