·
Breaking shit...
3,217 Posts
MORE!!

·
Night Crawler
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Someone has put a bid on the complete 2 stroke motor including radiator fuel tank etc...great! Can pull it out next week!

In other news, I'm trying to order my hub motor and they won't send me the details I need to actually pay for it. Slightly off-putting when a company doesn't get back to you when you are trying to buy something...

·
V four honda whore
12,327 Posts
So it happens at your side of the earth too. I have when that happens

·
Night Crawler
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've been working on getting the rear hub laced but I've also been fiddling around in
CAD a fair bit. Disclaimer - this is super conceptual and mostly wrong, constructive criticism
should be saved until I have a basic concept roughed out. Just wanted you guys to know I'm
working on it!

I've been considering the idea of making as much of it open source as possible, all the drawings, dxfs and 3d files. Just a thought. I want to make it super simple with really robust, common fittings. Also lots of laser cut parts and standard sized tube/RHS.

I'm almost definitely using different batteries than those yellow ones

·
Registered
35 Posts
This looks cool - something I've wondered about myself.

Got some questions too - what is the hp of that motor? What about a gearbox?

I have seen some of the battery packs they have used for bicycles, are you looking for power or range with this project?

Really looking forward to see it develop :)

·
Night Crawler
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This looks cool - something I've wondered about myself.

Got some questions too - what is the hp of that motor? What about a gearbox?

I have seen some of the battery packs they have used for bicycles, are you looking for power or range with this project?

Really looking forward to see it develop :)

Apparently about 40 hp peak with liquid cooling, which I will be using.

I have an approximate top speed I am looking for with this bike, this is based on the 3 winding/lower rpm per volt motor, the final battery voltage and the rim diameter. I will certainly be looking to ensure I can utilize the peak power of the motor when necessary. I haven't decided what kind of batteries to use yet.

I'm currently trying to find a 16x1.85 rim with 36 holes. Somehow I'm already trying to find parts that don't really exist in NZ. And I'm looking at rims thinking "Could I make one?" and then slapping myself.

·
Night Crawler
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Apologies for poor pic quality. I've built my first wheel! It's not true yet but I still feel a great sense of accomplishment. I got custom spokes made for it. I had to 3d model the wheel and the hub and then lace it all on the computer to figure out the very short spoke lengths.

Unfortunately I think I might have made them a fraction long still...When they are properly tightened they might stick out of the nipples inside the rim. I could grind them but I hate the idea of doing that.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts