Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
BLACK BELT
6,956 Posts
The spokes could probably be machined down a specific amount, if you want them perfect.

If you cut them down, do you need to add more threads?

·
Night Crawler
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The spokes could probably be machined down a specific amount, if you want them perfect.

If you cut them down, do you need to add more threads?
My friend trued the wheel up after I built it and he thinks it might be ok!

Got the first part machined... I think it might be the first proper machined part I have ever paid for. (I send a lot of stuff to the machine shop at work but I don't have to pay for it haha)

Told the machinist not to worry about surface finish.

Also...this really isn't going to be remotely close to a YZ85.

·
Night Crawler
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Right so I have been doing stuff but progress has been painfully slow for a while. Simply a matter of me not being able to design my life in a way that allows maximum motorcycle building time. But I will do better!

Bought 400 batteries:

Pulled a transformer out of a microwave that reeked of 2 minute noodles. Cut off the secondary coil and tapped out the remnants with a punch. Cleaned up sharp edges with a file. Rewound with some thick cable. Only a couple of turns for high amperage, low voltage. Heaps of info on the net on spot welders if anyone is interested. Bought a timer kit off ebay and the gun/iron thing.

Looks to be working well but welds aren't that strong, I suspected that my cable wasn't thick enough and I think that is the case. I'll rewind it with some thicker cable and let everyone know once I've got it working properly.

·
V four honda whore
12,327 Posts
Im in the process of building slightly different spot welder

Reactions: henry

·
Night Crawler
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I can't believe how long it's taking me to sort myself out... this battery pack is a mission!

Long story short I'm trying to weld quite thick nickel (0.3mm) to the 18650 batteries so the pack can carry the desired current.

The first microwave transformer powered welder I built wasn't powerful enough so I've now built a welder that is powered by two car batteries and uses a mosfet switch (I didn't build the switch) because apparently there is no substitute for low impedance :)

If anyone is interested in the setup here is a video, apologies for my mono-tonal drone :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JGhkIIWzxc

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
Just a thought, if you were cutting the dropouts off anyway, could have gone for a 17" rim. Might have been easier to find, and the spokes.

40hp, specific speed... You after DTT on this?

·
Night Crawler
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Just a thought, if you were cutting the dropouts off anyway, could have gone for a 17" rim. Might have been easier to find, and the spokes.

40hp, specific speed... You after DTT on this?
I want the smaller rim size so that I keep good torque for slow hilly stuff, even though I have the higher torque motor. Hard to know what it will actually be like on steep hills but I'll be sure to report back at the time! I'm guessing DTT is some kind of vehicle certification? This bike will be fully off road but in the future a mini motard would be fun.

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
Doing The Ton

Reactions: henry

·
Night Crawler
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Working prototype of battery box nearly complete. This design has been way more fiddly than I thought it would be. Next step with this will be to build an aluminium housing for this. The housing might also protect some other parts like the BMS and controller.

I'm actually starting to plan things out now and I'm going to give myself some time-frames.

·
Night Crawler
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Right, I've given myself until the 17th of April to have this thing running. Well enough that I can ride it on the farm and not die.

It's going to be horrible to look at, the wheelbase will probably be too long and it will be stupidly heavy because of the farmer gauge tubing and plywood holding it together.

I've come to the conclusion that I need a mock-up as soon as possible to see how the hub motor actually performs on steep hills. A nasty looking prototype answers my questions and there's no point wasting time on this farm bike if it can't handle big hills.

Avert thine eyes Smoker ;)

21 - 40 of 51 Posts