Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my T350 pretty much dialed in and ready to hit the road but now i have a problem with my ground wire. The bike runs and rides so I'm getting power to different places but not all.
this is essentially my wiring system minus the voltage regulator. These are the things I currently have hooked up on the bike: rectifier, generator, coils, battery, ignition switch. pretty much the basics. I tried to hook up a tail light to find out that part of my ground wire really wasnt grounded, it wouldnt light up unless i touched the lights ground wire to the frame. the generator, battery, and rectifier grounds work, the tail light and headlight grounds not so much. The manual pretty much grounds all the lights to the frame except the headlight but shouldnt one ground be good enough? Also my battery goes from 12.26V with ignition OFF to 12.00V ignition ON, I know there is an internal resistance with the battery so the voltage drops a bit but its dropping every time i turn on the ignition (now at 11.98V) I'm pretty stumped.

·
Old, bold rider
179 Posts
This is a basic single phase charging system, with the lighting grounds (Black/White), combined with chassis grounds for the turn signals. One point to check is the ground lug shown just above the generator -- it grounds the electrical system B/W wire to the frame, though I have no idea where it attaches. According to the diagram the B/W wire only grounds to that one lug, and if it's not connected any lights grounded by it will not function unless they are grounded directly to the frame. If you can't find the ground terminal all you need to do is ground the B/W wire to the frame pretty much anywhere you can find it. Note: ground it to the frame, not anywhere on the forks.

As to the battery voltage dropping 0.6 volts when the key is turned on -- this is perfectly normal as turning on the key applies a load to the battery, and if the engine is not running there is no alternative source for power and the battery voltage will drop. If you get the same readings with the engine running the generator or rectifier may be defective.

Rob

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found it, a little bastard of a ground wire was taped up and stuffed in the middle of the harness, tore the whole harness apart. It separates the main harness (lights, horn, etc) from the battery and rectifier, which is why the battery and rectifier would have a good ground and the lights wouldnt. with out that one wire plugged into a ground no power for the main harness. It was still kind of odd that every 5 min the battery voltage would drop 0.01-0.02 (aside from the initial 0.26V drop) with the ignition on with no lights on, would it really drop that fast?. Anyway, hopefully its done and I can finally enjoy the damn thing. Thanks guys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts