Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Young Blood
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I couldn't figure out how to post on triumphrat so I came here, the guys who tear down bikes and put them together easily. I have some questions for the Tech/Triumph guys. I picked up a 1997 Triumph Daytona T595 for $400 (WHY SO CHEAP YOU ASK?) The fairings are in good shape so I am torn between keeping it stock, or making it a speed triple. Anyway, It doesn't run. It has all maintenance records and I even checked valve clearances and they were dead on. So it has to be electrical.

I came across a smoking deal on a complete harness, except its for the speed triple. Anyone know if they are the same? A triumph shop I spoke to said the bikes are identical other than the bodywork. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, Can an ECM unit partially fail, or will it not work at all? My cluster lights up, but no other lights, fuel pump or starter.

I was thinking of gutting the original harness, and looking for a bare wire, but this complete harness is so cheap, I want to find if they are compatible before I'm balls deep chasing wires. (AND YES IT'S FUEL INJECTED. NOOOOO) First Injected bike so looking for some insight.

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Do you own a volt meter? Aka multimeter, aka VOM meter....

Could be something as stupid as a side stand switch. Have you checked all the fuses? Have you checked all the grounds?

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
Ya check the easy stuff first. Tip sensors, sidestand switch, ignition diode if it has one.

·
Young Blood
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I checked all the grounds and I at least got it to crank. It will crank all day long but just won't catch.(It's hooked up to a tender, so don't say the battery.) I can't hear the fuel pump prime, but I can smell a bit of gas If I get close to the tank. Oh and the previous owner bypassed all safety switches. So now I need to check for spark. What's the best way to check for spark? And yes it has an ignition diode but I don't know how to check if it's good. If an ignition diode was bad would it still crank?

·
Registered
98 Posts
It may have an alarm/immobilizer fitted they can f$%k up so you need to remove it and fit a bypass wire I will try to find a link for you today I have seen it on triumphrat or triumph torque, I have a speedy and have been led to believe the harness is the same but cant be 100%

·
Registered
98 Posts
Forgot to say you need to download Tuneecu software free from their website and buy yourself a good interface cable from someone like LONELEC its great software and you can activate fuel pump etc. in the diagnostic setting and you can also remap and change maps

·
Registered
98 Posts
sorry mate cant find the link on Triumph Torque or Triumphrat I know I will come across it sometime will post it when I do

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Pull the plugs and ground them on the motor then crank the bike and look for the spark on each, one at a time . Try and get the threads of the plug on a clean unpainted bolt or something like that to ground it......

Or... Hold open the throttle bodies and give it a QUICK hit of starting fluid right down her throat. If it doesn't seem to fire on starting fluid well then you probably don't have spark...

·
Young Blood
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No spark. Could it be a relay? Possibly the coils? Because the ignition/fuel pump/engine engangement goes through the same fuse in the junction box. If the others work, and they through same relay, why no spark? Imobilizer? Sensors?

·
Registered
98 Posts
It could just be the gases escaping from the engine following it starting , you say that it fired on starter fluid which is good the problem now is getting fuel to it, sounds like its a pump issue, which is inside the tank it might be worth trying an independent or secondary electrical feed to the fuel pump see if it primes, you will know if it does as they make a bit of noise when doing so and if it does prime you my be able to start it, this would then be a case of tracing the wires back with a electrical test meter to find the issue, did you find out if there was an alarm fitted as if there is this could be part of the problem as its also an immobilized

·
Young Blood
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok so I hot wired the pump and it seems like it doesn't work. I pulled it out of the tank, and connections were good. I then checked the connector for the pump, it had good ground but no power. That cable comes from the fuel pump relay, which I have replaced with a new one. Still no go. What sensor could it be? It has spark and has compression. But no fuel. I painted it and it's beautiful but this is all it needs. Please help!!!!!!! Or someone give me $1000 and it's yours!!! Hahaha LOL.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Young Blood
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nope I think I am just going to pass it on to someone who knows what they are doing. Hahaha thanks for all the help guys!!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts