Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have seen those colored engine bolt kits and noticed that you can get them in titanium for close to $300 and aluminum for under $100... i get that titanium is strong but is it really worth it?

·
Administrator
5,263 Posts
Ti bolts are usually used for weight savings rather than strength. No probably not worth it unless you plan on racing.

I wouldn't use alu though, stainless always looks great. They aren't usually anything special, you can get them from your local hardware shop. Personally i always fill up a big bag of various metric stainless anytime i'm there M6 is usually the standard for engine covers. Cheap as chips too. The results are great:

And i generally replace any bolt i undo anywhere on the bike with a stainless one from my reserves.

·
Administrator
5,263 Posts
No you don't want to go powercoating bolts, it's like a thick hard paint! You might be able to get them coated with something like anodising. I don't know if Stainless is easy with any process like that.

I sort of missed that you wanted colour, i just saw Ti and pictured silver. Are you sure you want to go with coloured engine bolts? It usually ends up looking pretty tacky.

If you do you might be just as well buying a coloured kit then.... but..... well, i wouldn't. :D

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,379 Posts
I agree with Cookie, titanium is roughly 40% lighter than steel, but the weight you would save is likely less than a pound. Colored bolts don't usually do the bike justice and they are likely to fade in the sun. You may be able to source a few on eBay and see how they look on your bike and go from there. You could powdercoat the head, but any powder in the hex well will render it useless.

Personally i always fill up a big bag of various metric stainless anytime i'm there M6 is usually the standard for engine covers. Cheap as chips too.

IF you live in Europe. Shit is pricey for metric here. My local metal surplus shop has rows and rows of new bolts and nuts sold by the pound, but nothing in metric.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well i will take the advice of you guys. Now that i think of it stainless doesnt sound half bad! How can i not listen to cookie i have gone threw you build thread more time then i would like to say lol

I can always copper electroplate them

·
I think im lost
573 Posts
Keep an eye on bike specific forums...
I picked up a titanium bolt kit for mine for $75
And got a spare front axle with titanium bolt for another $10
Just food for thought

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just be careful with the stainless bolts as they create a reaction with aluminum parts and will corrode and eventually bind. You have to make sure that the stainless is coated.

·
Administrator
5,263 Posts
Just be careful with the stainless bolts as they create a reaction with aluminum parts and will corrode and eventually bind. You have to make sure that the stainless is coated.
Heard that a few times. Never experienced it, so far it seems to me like a word of mouth scare story. Either way, it's better than oem bolts by a long way for self-welding. Also, use copper-slip or regret your life.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts