Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
Some of you may of seen my little 125 well im fast on my way to getting my full licence so obviously want a bigger bike but first I wanted to do this bike into a baby fighter for the miss's I've just picked up a 1980 Suzuki gs250 motor dumbed it in the frame ok but now the real issue as I have no electrics with the motor no rectifier nothing am I going to be able to modify the original wiring harness from the little 125 to wire the most part of the engine in??? Other than having to get a rectifier and coil what else am I likely to need or is it going to be easier to find a harness for a gs250?

·
Remi's Dad
17,593 Posts
easier to find a harness.

When i swap engines i try to get the harness matched. All the connectors and wire lengths can be worked with easily and it's just a matter of trimming stuff or cutting out the unnecessary

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well looks like im on the hunt for a wiring harness and the cdi igniter unit hmm... thought it was a good idea to fit a old engine as the is less electrics but you can't get hold of parts to easy unless you want to pay through the nose for them

·
Registered
91 Posts
youre asking the wrong kind of questions dude. i'd just buy a bigger bike. if youre looking at engine swaps, you should have at least some knowledge of what materials to use. i'm not running you down but you need to get something like this dead right or you could kill yourself. to give you some idea though, good old steel plate is all you need for that size engine, but you need to accomodate carb, airbox, zorst, levers and controls etc. the critical thing is lining up the rear wheel and engine sprockets. the rest has to follow on from that. another factor is handling. even though the 250 suzi isnt fast, it may outperform the suspension and brakes. think carefully before you do this kind of stuff, but if you do, there are plenty of ideas on here.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nah I dont take it as you running me down more constructive criticism haha! I'm very prepared for the swap I've got a complete front end of a aprilia rs250 including brake the rear will more than out perform the rear drum on a 1980 Suzuki as for sprockets I'm pretty lucky here they seem to line up quite well just need the engine cradle adapting as the frame gets in the way of the exhaust ports

·
Registered
91 Posts
good. i was hoping you would take it well. although it seems as though youre getting sorted anyway! post some pics of progress as your getting on.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well today I through out the originally engine cradle be raiding the weld shop at work tomorrow for steel going to use a mix of box section (about 2cm squared with a think wall) now this stuff is overkill but its free and I'm going sparingly on it cross bracing with 3-5mm sheet steel overkill again but at least it won't break! Do want to make a alloy one when I'm a bit more keyed into this fabrication malarkey!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts