Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of buying one of the new 2013 everlast 200dx tig welders. For the money it seems they cant be beat, extremely adjustable and capable. I know everlast had their problems back in the day but seems they have really cleaned up their act and produce pretty good machines the last 18 months-2 years or so. I have read all sorts of reviews about the 2013 200dx and everyone seems to love it. Even talked to a few welders who came from miller diversions and they say they like it much better than the millers. I know I know, its a "Chinese" welder but the igbt inverter on the everlast tigs, which is the important part is actually made by siemens right here in the USA and is a very nice unit.
Anyone here happen to have one or have used one of these NEW tigs? Thoughts or opinions?

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
Jody from welding tips and tricks has been comparing his Everlast with the big name ones. So far it seems like a decent welder, especially for the money. The arc characteristics seem to be close to. Having never used one myself, I can't give a good opinion.

Its not really a good comparison with the diversion series though, unless your comparing just prices. More in par with the dynasty 200 I would say. The diversion is more of a bare bones, no thrills unit

Have you looked into repairing one of these units? Can you take it to your local welding supply/ repair shop if it starts acting up? Our will they even work on it. That would be my biggest concern

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure about my local welding shops but parts are readily available and everlast is based in SoCal which is close to me so even if need be I could always just drive to their actual HQ. Also, every machine does come with a 5 year warranty, which is a plus.

·
Mono-thingy-guy
23 Posts
I've got the Everlast PowerTig 185 Micro and I love it. The only reason I didn't go with the 200DX is because I wanted the 120V option since I didn't have 240 in the garage yet. I actually got turned to Everlast from Jody on welding tips and tricks and he's right, it does a lot of what the bigger names can do, but it's also very affordable.

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've got the Everlast PowerTig 185 Micro and I love it. The only reason I didn't go with the 200DX is because I wanted the 120V option since I didn't have 240 in the garage yet. I actually got turned to Everlast from Jody on welding tips and tricks and he's right, it does a lot of what the bigger names can do, but it's also very affordable.
They do make a version of the 2013 200dx that is 120/240. Its a few hundred extra though.

·
Former bike builder
1,240 Posts
I have Everlast ac/dc tig. Not rememper what model that is. But 230v.
Its been good machine to weld and I do ac welding alot.
Only bad thing to say from it is that foot pedal is total shit. That really is cheap chinese garbage.

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have Everlast ac/dc tig. Not rememper what model that is. But 230v.
Its been good machine to weld and I do ac welding alot.
Only bad thing to say from it is that foot pedal is total shit. That really is cheap chinese garbage.
Does yours have the silly foot pedal with the spring and the knob on it? I have heard that those SUCK, they are totally different now.
This is how they look now...

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What's the advantage of the 200DX vs the 185 Micro?
Micro looks descent but its just not as adjustable.
The 200dx you can adjust much more as it has frequency and balance, 2t/4t selectable, adjustable pre flow and post flow, high and low pulse with adjustable frequency, which is a huge selling point for me as I love the pulse feature sense bad ankles dont let me rock the wiggle foot too much. Just switch it to 4t, set the pulse, up slope/down slope and use only the torch switch to start stop your weld. No feet required.

·
BLACK BELT
7,030 Posts
Thanks for that info brother.

I'll show it to my welder and see what he thinks.

Gonna have to drop about 2grand in welder and other items to have my homie do the work.

I could probably get someone that has a TIG to do everything for that price - but I'm trying to keep the money in the family.

Will probably need to sell everything after the build to get some cash back.

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ya I feel ya, im saving up at the moment to buy this welder. Thought of selling one of my bikes to pay for it but just cant bring myself to do it.

·
Frankenbike builder
441 Posts
Micro looks descent but its just not as adjustable.
The 200dx you can adjust much more as it has frequency and balance, 2t/4t selectable, adjustable pre flow and post flow, high and low pulse with adjustable frequency, which is a huge selling point for me as I love the pulse feature sense bad ankles dont let me rock the wiggle foot too much. Just switch it to 4t, set the pulse, up slope/down slope and use only the torch switch to start stop your weld. No feet required.
The most important feature you mentioned for me is the pre-and post-flow for different metals. I don't have the ankle problems and am really used to the pedal to adjust my heat and keep the puddle correct and pretty.

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The most important feature you mentioned for me is the pre-and post-flow for different metals. I don't have the ankle problems and am really used to the pedal to adjust my heat and keep the puddle correct and pretty.
Have you ever tried welding in 4t? Its very different but once you get the hang of it you will never go back.

·
Frankenbike builder
441 Posts
Have you ever tried welding in 4t? Its very different but once you get the hang of it you will never go back.
the 700+ dollar price difference in machines and the fact we rarely have to climb into a car chassis when building bikes is probably the part that sells me.

I honestly never welded in 4t, and it sounds great, but for now, the added expense I can't swing it.

I think if I just get the micro, and make the money back on it and then some, I may upgrade- plasma cutter first, but I do need the TIG thing.

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the 700+ dollar price difference in machines and the fact we rarely have to climb into a car chassis when building bikes is probably the part that sells me.

I honestly never welded in 4t, and it sounds great, but for now, the added expense I can't swing it.

I think if I just get the micro, and make the money back on it and then some, I may upgrade- plasma cutter first, but I do need the TIG thing.
This is true, I always forget most people on here are mainly bike builders lol, I find myself in all sorts of odd welding positions with the stuff I do so it helps me. I had to sell my tig a couple years ago when I lost my job and ive been itching for another ever sense I sold it. Now that im back on my feet 100% I have been shopping for another one.
If your looking for a plasma cutter too I highly recommend the Miller spectrum series. I have had my spectrum 375 for going on 8 years and have never had a single problem with it, plus the consumables are dirt cheap compared to some other plasma cutters.

·
Frankenbike builder
441 Posts
I used the cheapest piece of crap plasma cutter they made for a long time- it was super cost effective for bike work as well. I am seriously thinking of going Everlast with this as well. Pretty good price. I think, again, I can make the money back on this, get enough side income to go for a major upgrade at some point. I would like to get to the 3-7k range saved up and get a real industrial rig set up. It is really needed here on the big Island for odd jobs.

·
BLACK BELT
7,030 Posts
My buddy said he doesn't use the pulse feature, but the other features are nice. Probably agrees with what you are saying here.

Looks like I'm going to order the ProTIG 200DX.

·
BLACK BELT
7,030 Posts
On the Everlast website - it says, "click to make an offer".

So, I offered $1000. Still would have to pay tax and shipping (and argon setup).

The price on welder's Direct is $1075 - my other option.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts