Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
ZUK ATTaCK
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

This is my brother's 89 ex-500. I really liked the way it turned out. Everything except the clear was auto air waterbased paint. The clip-ons and acerbis being lower made it turn out really nice I thought. anyway here are the pics.

Before:

After:

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,432 Posts
Very nice! The paint is really awesome.

Want some advice? Start hiding as much as possible. Resevoirs, cables, wires, anything that's out in the open. Stuff it underneath something else.

The EX500 also does incredibly well with upgraded fork oil and springs and an SV650 rear shock.
www.sonicsprings.com has a calculator to tell you what fork oil and springs to buy for your bike and weight. Also doesn't take a whole lot to get an SV650 shock in there, and they're plentiful in the used market because the SV650 guys all go with GSX-R shocks.

·
Registered
854 Posts
thats the coolest looking ninja 500 I've ever seen. I'm diggin the stencil style graffiti. I'll have to show this to my neighbor he just got a new one. He's been working on turning his old Honda into a cafe racer ... maybe after seeing this he'll want to strip down his 500.

·
Registered
854 Posts
in fact if you can wait a little bit I'll be upgrading my suspension soon and will have the shock from my SV650 available. But if you can't wait haelo is right, they are plentiful.

·
688 Posts
Congrats, the 500 looks sick. The paint scheme is very nicely executed. I also like how most of the extra stuff (coolant reservoir) has been painted so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.

Can you take some detailed pictures of the clip-ons themselves? I'm very interested in this approach for my 500. Also, is the bike considered "done", or is it a work in progress?

If it's a work in progress, I have two suggestions:

1. Lose the rear plastics and add a custom subframe/tail. There is a guy on EX-500 that did an R6 conversion that turned out quite nice.

2. Lose the old swingarm and upgrade to a 17" rear wheel with disk brakes. The biggest difference you'll notice is the tire selection form 16" vs 17". Since you'll run into width issues on anything over a 160 tire, and the FZR swap is a bit tricky, go with a complete rear from a 94+ EX500 with the aforementioned SV650 shock upgrade.

Congrats again. Your brother should ride with pride.

·
Perpetual Project
3,695 Posts
Love the paint, gives the bike a real tough look.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Nice job. It looks to me that the bike is incomplete. I'd look into atleast painting your tail to match the rest, or chop it all up and do a conversion like someone said earlier. Nice work though.

·
GURU
1,858 Posts
I used to hate that headlight setup. That paintjob makes it look totally different. It made a huge difference. I really love the way that bike came out. You just need to do something with that rear. I say do the r6 swap like tundra said.

·
ZUK ATTaCK
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ya I'm definitely leaning toward the r6 swap, it looks very nice on that bike. Does anyone know what year r6 that tail in the pic above was? Thanks for all the replies.

Oh and Hungryhungry, If you do that suspension upgrade definitely let me know when you want to sell that shock. Thanks.

Nate

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
I have a chance to pick up 2 ex 500s from a friend. one was run last year and the other is complete but hasn't run in a while. I might pick them up and make the good one into a bike for my wifey and the other one would be my flat black, stumpy ass, bug eyed fighter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts