Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm currently working on my 2000 R1 and, when it comes to exhausts, there really isn't a lot of choices out there as far as "streetfighting" this bike. She currently has a carbon fiber Akrapovic slip on, but now, without all the fairings and fenders off, that Akrapovic must go. My question is, I would like to fit her with one of the latest short slip on's from Akrapovic, Graves, etc, but they make none for my year bike, so is it possible to make one sold specifically for a different bike(say the R6 for example) work on my bike using a local muffler shop?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
Let me get this right.
You're making a fighter but you're worried there are no off the shelf kits to do your exhaust?

·
The friendly Ghost.
13,172 Posts
Let me get this right.
You're making a fighter but you're worried there are no off the shelf kits to do your exhaust?
Easy now, everyone was here at one point.

·
Isn't as dumb as he seems
549 Posts
Apparently the pipe diameters are usually the same among sport bikes... So just find a slip-on that mounts in the same way.
Worst case scenario is you have to make a new bracket for the hanger.

Anyway, since when is an R1 an "older bike" lol? :confused:

·
UnicycleMode
7,580 Posts
Anyway, since when is an R1 an "older bike" lol? :confused:

I often think the same thing and then realize (the bike in question) was manufactured 15 years ago...

Hard to even comprehend that my '98 Bandit 1200 is fast approaching 2 decades since it was assembled! Even more staggering is the ages of my fleet of 70's bikes, or for that matter how my '99 YZ400F is a relic by the standards set by alu frame 450 MX'ers. :nuts:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you, guys!!! Sorry, I didn't setup the notifications for the thread correctly. Maybe I'll just cut the long Akrapovic can I have on the bike now. Or get a smaller GP style can or tube, and make it work for the bike.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts