Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Are you sure it's not just something that was spilled on the headers? Leaked brake fluid, oil, coolant, ect will stink very quickly after the engine is started, even if it was wiped off. Headers warm up very quickly to 5-600* which is plenty to cause this.

·
jANITORIAL TECHNITION
1,138 Posts
Looked to be running rich ? Was it cold when you started it in the video? Loked like it was spitting out of the pipe .

·
Commander Cool
9,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cold and hasn't been run in a couple years. There would be a fair bit of crap in the pipes.
I don't think there's anything on the pipes, it smells like very hot metal, not anything else.

·
Commander Cool
9,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Valve seats. Boak. I hope to fuck its not them. Ok I'm gonna pull the carbs off soon and check all the jets. On all four carbs.

·
Vtwin
3,945 Posts

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Get an IR thermometer and see how hot they really are. You might be just fine. Like Grey said, and since the bike has been sitting, may just be rusty valve seats not sealing well. A little seafoam and some WOT usually cures that ;). Valve lash OK? Too tight of a valve would do this. Also retarded ignition timing can makes pipes hot enough to glow.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Vtwin
3,945 Posts
That just gave me an idea for a cheap test, hold the throttle about 1/2-3/4 for a bit, if it takes about 30sec for them to start glowing then you're good any less than that means trouble....

Note: they make great cigarette lighters in a pinch, my buddy uses the pipe on his quad all the time

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Commander Cool
9,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I really need to get a new battery. I'm pulling the one from my SV at the moment and it's a bastard of a hassle..

·
Vtwin
3,945 Posts
Wait! What just happen?

·
Commander Cool
9,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wait what what? Everything is fairly self-explanatory..my gixxer is running lean,which makes the pipes instantly super hot, and I having to pull the SV battery out in order to test it.

I'm putting off pulling the carbs. I really don't wanna do this

·
Vtwin
3,945 Posts
I started my bike today....and the exhaust got hot!! Does anyone else's bike do that?:D

J/k! :)

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

Reactions: GreY2231

·
Watch the world burn
1,046 Posts
If your exhaust is getting hot there might be controlled explosions happening somewhere near them....

Reactions: Denver
1 - 20 of 46 Posts