Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a carb'ed 2002 bandit 600 that im currently chopping up and modding to my liking.

I just removed the airbox from the frame ( holy shit...seriously...biggest PITA, ever...especially for something so basic.)

and i keep reading that its BEST to leave the stock OEM airbox for several reasons, they say the bandit 600's dont like anything else than the stock airfilter... shame, b/c it's going to be a MF'er to put it back in there when the time comes. Any input here?

ANYWAYS- my original question was....exhaust.

im kinda running out of cash, and dont feel like spending too much on a exhuast to only chop it up and make it a shorty. It also saves me from having to custom make a bracket to hold the exhaust

will having this kind of short exhaust ( i think its just a straight pipe) pose any harm to my carb'ed bandit 600?

please, and thanks in advance for the help!

edit: if anyone has any better/other ideas PLEASE share them.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you're going to need some seriuos rejetting if you are going to use that end and pods

check mine out
dammit, i really don't wanna fuck with "re-jetting" since i barely know what it entails. Im just learning about motor mechanics.

what if I leave the stock airbox, and ditch exahust or get a OEM short one from say, an R6

(will check out your threads)

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jets are easy anybody can do it if you get a good kit you hardly even need to tune it (I went with ivans performance) it takes less than thirty mins once the carbs are out and all you need is a Phillips and a flat head screw driver

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
im going to have to do some research...

·
Registered
740 Posts
Tossing the stock airbox on a bike with CV carbs will make it run like dog shit unless it's rejetted. It will be far too lean and have no power, probably won't rev all the way out.

Generally this entails different (or adjustable) needles, bigger mains, and smaller air jet/s.

If you get a jetting kit it should get you pretty close. Call dynojet or any of the other companies and tell them your setup and they should be able to recommend a kit, or customize a kit for you.

From there it's pulling the carb rack, taking the bowls off, and replacing jets with different ones. It's not difficult, just carbs tend to be intimidating to new mechanics. Go slow, take pictures, be methodical.

·
Longtime rider
3,115 Posts
OK So I have done this on my 03 Bandit 1200. ( Do not know if it will work on the 600 ) So I did a little shorty exhaust like you are wanting to do on yours. Tried running with the stock air box ran like sh*t. But if I added the Baffle and Exhaust fiberglass it ran fine. Now as I said mine is a 1200. So I dont know if it will work for the 600.......

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Do lots of research before you go down this route with the 600.Have heard of lots of guys running into jetting issues even with jet kits for the 600.Lots of trial and error required.Not trying to discourage you,but be prepared for a lot of messing around.Good luck.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK So I have done this on my 03 Bandit 1200. ( Do not know if it will work on the 600 ) So I did a little shorty exhaust like you are wanting to do on yours. Tried running with the stock air box ran like sh*t. But if I added the Baffle and Exhaust fiberglass it ran fine. Now as I said mine is a 1200. So I dont know if it will work for the 600.......
hmmm, i read somewhere that 600's and 1200's are way different when it comes to the carb's. I heard 600's are a PITA compared to the 1200. . :(

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tossing the stock airbox on a bike with CV carbs will make it run like dog shit unless it's rejetted. It will be far too lean and have no power, probably won't rev all the way out.

Generally this entails different (or adjustable) needles, bigger mains, and smaller air jet/s.

If you get a jetting kit it should get you pretty close. Call dynojet or any of the other companies and tell them your setup and they should be able to recommend a kit, or customize a kit for you.

From there it's pulling the carb rack, taking the bowls off, and replacing jets with different ones. It's not difficult, just carbs tend to be intimidating to new mechanics. Go slow, take pictures, be methodical.

hmmmm, im going to probably take this advice and do it with someone who knows what they are doing... that or I find some guy off craigslist who "tunes/repairs" bikes and pay him to come and install the jetting kit and I'll learn that way

I dont mind the stock airbox... yeah its a PITA...like...really a PITA... but the exhuast is bugging me. I wonder if cutting the muffler in half also has its problems

i just wanna ride! This thursday im welding lugs for the tail swap... that was suppose to be the ONLY mod done to this bike lol...totally lied to myself lol

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
one more question guys.... since the whole re-jet BS seems a bit advanced for me atm and appears costly if I need a dyno, etc, the bandit I have 2002/5k miles idles a bit rough until i play with the choke and let it warm up (takes a while)....

seller says its probably from the gunk acumilated over winter or something and has shit stuck in the jets or w/e... i figure I might as well "clean them" since they are hanging off the bike at the moment

any recommendations... im just learning to turn a wrench, but this cant be difficult can it?
anybody have some instructions?

·
addict
370 Posts
im not sure about the 600 but the 12 is a cold blooded animal and it takes a while to warm up so it may be as simple as that and also dont throw the jet jit out the window just yet if i were you i would call ivans performance or hole shot tell them you are thinking of a jet kit on your b6 and what you want to do to it they will know better than i and im sure if a jet kit is just not in the cards for you right now they will tell you that when i ordered mine i talked to ivan and he seems like a real nice guy and stands behind his product.

·
Registered
740 Posts
If it runs fine once it's warmed up (no choke), I wouldn't worry about it, as said just cold-blooded tendencies. You could try dumping a 1/2 can of seafoam in a full tank of gas, that can sometimes help with minor/nuisance running issues.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts