Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As it happens, I'll ask a fucking dumb question from time to time as I continue my first build on my first bike. Im nearing its completion... and ordered shorty levers.

I have a GSF600, with a GSXR 05 front end.... the front brake MC may or may not be from a GSXR, but instead from a SV- not sure.

I ordered ebay shorty levers for a GSXR 600, without even thinking of fitment issues. The brake lever was a simple install, but once I had the bolt in, it causes the front brakes to lock up since its pressing down on the pin... so I guess maybe I do have a front MC from a SV? A little modification and im sure i can get it to work.. but i dont want to modify. I want it functional out of box-unless I have no option.

the MAIN problem I have, is I CANNOT find a shorty lever for the clutch, on the OEM 2002 Bandit 600 I have. Googling this, only brings up threads about a clutch perch needing switched out, and mine contains a switch. What is the significance of the switch? I know i need that fucker plugged in to start my bike... but can I remove it somehow, or bypass it? or get a different clutch perch thing from another bike to have short levers on it? if so, which bike? any information to certains threads, please share.

sorry for wall of text... its hard to explain what I want. simply, I need to figure out a method of having adjustable shorty levers on my BANDIT 600. The OEM bandit clutch lever has a odd hole that is used for some switch.

CLIFF NOTES: help me install shorty levers. It seems I have to bypass this switch. I dont even know the function of this switch thing, and its built into my clutch perch.

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
U can use a perch off anything and just bypass the switch by jumping the wires. Just keep in mind that it can start in gear without the clutch pulled in if the kick stand is up

·
old fart
3,713 Posts
its a safety to make sure you have the lever pulled or the bike in neutral, before you can start the engine!
you can just bypass it!
BUT, and this is a big BUT, are your levers cheap Chinese copys??? if they are it is common for them to be badly
made and to the wrong dimensions!! that cause the brake to bind/lock.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its a safety to make sure you have the lever pulled or the bike in neutral, before you can start the engine!
you can just bypass it!
BUT, and this is a big BUT, are your levers cheap Chinese copys??? if they are it is common for them to be badly
made and to the wrong dimensions!! that cause the brake to bind/lock.

oh wow.... so before I return these levers i got on ebay... I will try to slightly modify the brake lever, it just needs a teeeeeny bit shimmed, where the bolt goes to hold it in place.

and as for the clutch lever... why don't I just order a 2005 GSXR clutch perch? will that work okay? Will I have any issues with my existing OEM bandit clutch cable? Regarding the safety switch ill just jump it as you both recommended..... (this means just just cutting the wires that feed to it, and soldering them together, right?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
U can use a perch off anything and just bypass the switch by jumping the wires. Just keep in mind that it can start in gear without the clutch pulled in if the kick stand is up
so if anyone else starts my bike up without knowing... RIP lol

is this a common mod people in my situation make? or is this a very important safety precaution that I am removing.

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
It's very common. I use an rsc lever on all my bikes which don't have switches at all so I have to bypass it on all of them

It will only jump forward a little when u click the starter. I do it sometimes cause it looks cool, hit the the starter button with out the clutch so it starts rolling and will start half way through the roll.

·
Lazy bastard
1,116 Posts
BUT, and this is a big BUT, are your levers cheap Chinese copys??? if they are it is common for them to be badly made and to the wrong dimensions!! that cause the brake to bind/lock.
I know tons of people who use these and I've never heard of problems, so I wouldn't say it's that common.

·
Sick of being frozen
1,086 Posts
I personally know of this happening twice , locally. So it shouldn't be brushed off. It is a known issue and it hurts people.
I know of four cases, but there will be more as i dont get on all forums !
I've heard of this issue too, I've also heard people come back and admit they didn't install them right, before you modify anything look carefully at the small rotatable drum (usually brass colored) and make sure if it has a dimple it's facing the right way.
I've used various knockoffs on many bikes without issue, I do take them apart and re-assemble them when I install.
I've got 11,000 miles on the ones on my Z, aside from the "anodizing" discoloring they work fine.
I'm not saying they are all good, I've just seen people with no business working on a bike and blaming the parts.

Reactions: Kimmo57

·
Lazy bastard
1,116 Posts
So in conclusion I guess we can all agree that if one buys and installes levers (Chinese or any other), one should check the fitment and function carefully before riding.

·
FNG
68 Posts
should be no need to cut and solder.
follow the wires back from the switch to the next connector. I'm not sure on the new ones, but the older suzukis used bullet connectors, male/female, set up opposite on each of the two wires. just unplug the switch and plug the other two ends together.
bb7

·
Administrator
50,498 Posts
So in conclusion I guess we can all agree that if one buys and installes levers (Chinese or any other), one should check the fitment and function carefully before riding.

Yep and REP!

this shoud be a given to us wel schooled bikers eh;)

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well well well.... didnt this stir up a little debate. I found the problem.

the brake lever didnt fit properly, b/c as mentioned earlier, the pin the rotates wasnt on right. Now its fine.

the clutch lever wasnt working, because the perch was from a different bike, and not a GSXR 05'

you guys are awesome though, learned a lot in this thread. THanks!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ALSO...

im paranoid of the clutch lever being too tight, and burning out my clutch.

I got the GSXR clutch perch install on my badit, with the short ebay levers.

the dial on perch turned all the way, so that its at it's loosest tension with clutch cable and it feels a little tight, or its in my head. Driving I don't notice or smell anything....but this is my first bike I and I dont know exactly the way its suppose to be.!

should i have swapped the clutch cable with the GSXR OEM? Or is that not need.

note: remember, I have a GSF600, with GSXR front ( do i need to swap clutch cables since the cable may attach the the perch slightly differently.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts