Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got some Blackbird clip ons for my Bandit. Problem is they're a bit too short. The stock master cylinders hit the stock gauges. I'm not in a big hurry to swap either, so I'm looking for a good way to extend the clip ons about an inch, maybe two on each side.

How would you do it? Steel tube plug welding with a slug? Bolt on extensions? Fook it and go back to dirt bars?

·
Mad Sconnie
2,602 Posts
I did this before when I put clip ons on my old Sabre. I had a pair of extensions turned out of steel. They extended the bars I believe 1". They were turned to match the OD of the clip on bar 1" long, then stepped down to match the ID of the bar for about 3/4" I believe. Then I plug welded them in the bars. I tapped the center of one of the extensions so I could bolt a bar end mirror to it. They were pretty heavy, so they also helped remove some vibrations from the bars.

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can you replace the whole tube? Or are you stuck with extending what's already attached?

If I had to extend, I would make the extension/ slug as one solid piece. About 3/4" of slug minimum IMO. Two good sized rosette welds oughta do it.
I might be able to replace the
whole tube. Mr. Honda decided pinning and staking the hole was good enough from the factory. Good enough for me.

I did this before when I put clip ons on my old Sabre. I had a pair of extensions turned out of steel. They extended the bars I believe 1". They were turned to match the OD of the clip on bar 1" long, then stepped down to match the ID of the bar for about 3/4" I believe. Then I plug welded them in the bars. I tapped the center of one of the extensions so I could bolt a bar end mirror to it. They were pretty heavy, so they also helped remove some vibrations from the bars.
Y'all are onto something with the solid extension. Might have to get friendly with a local machinist to get them made. I'll probably get the ends of the extension tapped to fit some bar ends I've got kicking around.

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On second thought, anyone on here want to do the machining? I'll provide a drawing and the tap for the bar ends. Just send it back when you're done.

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll have to look at the tap when I get home. I think it's an M14x1.5 but don't quote me on it. I don't have material but really any basic steel should do.

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got your package today. Your extensions are all done. I'll send your stuff out in the am.
Rep this guy. Put my parts in the mail Thursday, and he's finished on Monday.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts