Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Northern Neighbour
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1998 CBR 900

I would write a novel as everyone wants to about how their bike is pissing them off....but i will give point form 'coles notes' explaination of what's wrong, and what i think about it.

Given, work has really bogged me down and stressed me out...i haven't been on the bike in a month or so.

-a month ago and before...bike would run like a dream, no issues.
-last week tried to start it...battery flat. boosted it from my car
-Started running rich after start up...1 foot flames were coming from the exhaust
-speedo was going crazy (up to 40 or 50 km/h and the bike was ideling)
-said F that, put bike away and charged the battery over night

NEXT NIGHT
-battery is perfectly charged.
-bike starts but burps and beltches, got it 2-3 kms down the road it dies.
-Start it, dies. Pull choke, starts idles, i go....it dies.
-I pull choke start it, turn idel knob to run faster....get most of the way home, dies.
-I notice my buddy turned my reserve tank on...(which could make it do wierd burps and what not), i switch it back to ON and it starts fine, idels fin, no burps nothing....runs like silk so i burn it home as fast as i can.

YESTERDAY: i go out for a leasurly tour
-Pull choke, hit starter, bike kinda turned over....
-hit starter again, no turning over....click, click, click, not turning over and im killing my battery....

I swear REALLLLLLLY loud and put the cover back on the bike.

Go back out an hour later, my fuel switch it pointed up in the ON position, i switch it to reserve (to see it it's lower than 0.9L in the tank).......nothing.

right now im pretty much pissed, i have no idea what would cause such a catastrophy. I'm so frustrated im beyond words, and i think im going crazy, left is right, and up is down to me now.... just to make sure. for the gas switch...UP is ON, horizontal is OFF and DOWN is reserve..... right?

I'm trying to cover all my bases. Just to be sure.

other things i think it could be...

-clogged carb
-Voltage regulator
-something else electric?
-mmmmmmmmmayyyyybe i don't have enough gas?....very long shot

any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
stator.

·
ADAM FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
12,319 Posts
i had the same problem with my zx check to make your sure any of your fuel line under nearth your tank isnt kinked,or fill it up with fresh gas (drain your tank of old gas first/carbs) and yes your battery might be fucked espicially if you left in your bike during storage get it check to make sure it still holds charge,if be chance you left your fuel on during storage you heads would be flooded

try some of these if they dont work buy a kawasaki:LolLolLolLol:
good luck dude

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
first off. im pretty damn sure you ARENT supposed to jump your battery with a car battery. 2x the voltage or something.

second...if your battery is old it isnt going to hold a charge. if your stator is junk, your battery wont hold a charge even if its fresh outta the box new! without the stator running correctly, your bike runs just off of the battery, which will quickly drain it. when the stator is working, the battery only has to start the bike, then the stator takes over running the electrical shit, and recharging the battery.

as far as what sounds like your fuel problem...id say maybe you need to do some cleaning up of your fuel system. maybe you could run something thru it that cleans it up...or even better, take it apart and clean the tank, petcock, lines, and carbs. fun fun fun.

:( ^that is precisely why i decided not to buy a 900 and got the 929. fuel injection.

·
Northern Neighbour
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. The battery is new...and holds a charge fine.

Good call on the Stator. ill look at that.

Good call on the storage and the fuel being open (which is was), and probably why i was getting foot long flames when i started it.

Good call on the fresh gas too, I'll get some new gas into it and syphon out the shitty stuff.

Thanks a million guys, if there are more ideas ....shoot!

oh ya, Good call on the 929 :D

·
313 Posts
right get a volt metre in place on the battery and get it started and above idle and see what it reads. Like even running like crap you only need it at like 4000-5000 or so for a second. :)

Then go from there.

Carbs are probably all lacuered up from sitting too. Could have a stuck open float.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
PhatRR said:
oh ya, Good call on the 929 :D
i know someone selling one! :evilred:

·
Northern Neighbour
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
my next bike will be a 929 or 954, but one thing i can NOT get over is the MPH.

I gots to have a KM/h speedo. Call me crazy :nuts:, i just can't do it in MPH.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
PhatRR said:
my next bike will be a 929 or 954, but one thing i can NOT get over is the MPH.

I gots to have a KM/h speedo. Call me crazy :nuts:, i just can't do it in MPH.

UMMMM :squid:

all you have to do, is press a button on the gauge and it changes!

:LolLolLolLol:

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
seriously tho!

·
Registered
387 Posts
929_adam said:
first off. im pretty damn sure you ARENT supposed to jump your battery with a car battery. 2x the voltage or something.
Nope, they're both 12V and there's no problem jump starting a bike off a car.

MsHap said:
right get a volt metre in place on the battery and get it started and above idle and see what it reads. Like even running like crap you only need it at like 4000-5000 or so for a second. :)

Then go from there.
That will check the alternator and charging system, not the battery. It should read about 13.5-14.5V.

To test the battery check the voltage across the terminals while cranking it over, if it drops below about 8-9V then your battery is poked. It will usually wind over noticably slower too. Be aware that loose or coroded terminals are more often the problem rather than the Battery.

929_adam said:
UMMMM :squid:

all you have to do, is press a button on the gauge and it changes!

:LolLolLolLol:
Haha, I did that once when fucking around with my Triumph, then couldn't figure out how to change it back. It was a pain in the arse but I eventually got used to MPH until I found the manual and managed to change it back.:LolLolLolLol:

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
929_adam said:
it is ok as long as the car is off...

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
2much said:
Haha, I did that once when fucking around with my Triumph, then couldn't figure out how to change it back. It was a pain in the arse but I eventually got used to MPH until I found the manual and managed to change it back.:LolLolLolLol:
yah i did it for fun once. i was driving around being like ghostrider hittin the highways in KPH...then i saw a cop and had no idea how fast i was going so i changed it back.
:party-smiley:

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
PhatRR said:

$ ?
whats up?? money concerns??

·
Northern Neighbour
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
^^^^ oh sorry, thought we were on the same page...

you said you knew someone with a 929 fo sizzale. and we found out a button solves our km/h-mph issue. :LolLolLolLol:

also , thanks 2much!

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
oh yah. ok.

:bigred: <-- he was selling a 929, but apparantly traded it for an fzr 600 :nuts:

my other buddy has a 929 stunt bike (STRONG MOTOR) that hes thinking of trading for a gsxr 750. he might be interested in some moneys tho.

as far as the gauges go....want me to do a picture documentary of me switching from mph/kph ? :LolLolLolLol:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Using a car battery to jump a bike with a CDI unit is not usually a good idea. If you got an old points and condensor bike you can get away with it. Put a voltmeter on the battery and turn on the high beam. Anything less than 11.5 volts means it is time to shit can that battery. I would suspect that the CDI unit was damaged. Resistance testing this component is usually beyond the ability of all but electronic nerds. 12 volts is 12 volts but you have one hell of a difference in amperage.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts