Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i posted some pics in other threads, and realized i never posted anything in the pics section of my bike, so here goes my pic whoring thread.

Backstory to pics: I picked the bike up as a wrecked, beaten, ex-race bike come streetfighter about 2 1/2 years ago. It must have been in a front end wreck as a racer, because the front end when i got i was a crappy first gen SV with a rag tied around the leaky fork seal :D. So anyways, i go to school for design and decided to do a motoryccle project. I spent the semester rebuilding it, built a full fairing fiberglasss body for it, and over that summer the body was thrown away by maintenace. :skrooz:

So i fightered it, and now i'm redesigning it. Doing new tail, tank cover, rad cover, headlight, and belly pan if i can get some studio time next semester (last semester before i graduate).

I just thought i'd share that with you cause a lot of the design behind the exhaust, tail, and other parts was based upon the fact that they were gonna be covered. The way i'm designing it now is really dressing up all the exposed stuff. :rock:

one of very few pics i have of the body:

photoshop and renderings of what the planned outcome was:

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
Nice thing there

the concept looks pretty neat, too, but I like how it is now :D
especially the exhaust, what's that can made from?

·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I made the exhaust from some (automotive) cherry bombs. I cut the stock header right where it goes 4-2 (its a 4-2-1) and i cut the brackets that held the 2 pipes togeather, then heated up and bent the left one so it pointed to teh outside (that was a huge PITA) then i shortened the cherry bombs, and welded them to the modified headers.

They were louder than most harleys when i first started it! lmao. So i added some extra packing then welded some baffles (the kind used for drag cars with open headers) into them. Now about as loud as a shorty d&d - but way throatier. I hosted a vid a while back of the sound, see if i can find it.

more pic whoring:

cut header:

shortened bombs:

my pretty oxy welding :D :

baffles:

·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like it too as is, but i'll like it better when i remake it ;) Its a 94 F2 with 95 F3 motor, 98 carbs with stage 2 jetkit, 1000rr front end, 600rr rear suspension, swingarm - modified to fit in F2 frame, wheel, brake and custom brackets for the linkage. Custom subframe, gixxer 600 tail, custom ABS subframe covers, and an HID headlight - that was a temporary rig in the one pic just to waterproof it now its housed above the standard projector in a 04 gixxer 750 headlight. Can't even think of all the other crap i've done to it, but thats a brief list.

I like how it is now :D
Actually, thats how it looked last summer, now its basically in boxes all over my buddys garage!

I stripped it down to the frame, filled in the holes on both sides of the swingarm (still gotta finish the sanding at some point, jb weld sucks as fille....but it is powdercoatable unlike bondo :rock:). I painted the whole engine flat black, and started (still gotta finish) polishing the clutch cover, stator cover (new cover, no more jb mess) and bought a polished factory racing pulsar cover. I also painted the fork bottoms flat black, and I bought a pro-taper evo bar and some generic risers but havent drilled and reinforced the triple yet. I also got some nice vortex rearsets and a used ohlins steering damper :D

I'm also probably gonna get some trailtech gauges and ditch the big f4i cluster. I also plan on a 1" lowering link on it cause it is really high (i think like 34" seat height, i have to one foot it) and it is pretty twitchy even with raising the triples about 8mm. Plus i think it will look better - i like the tail, but its a little too high for my taste.

So at some point in time i gotta reassemble the engine, finish polishing the covers and finish sanding the swingarm. Then i can get the frame and swingarm powder coated and put it back togeather and start on the body.

·
49 Posts
that fiberglass body is really really cool. How did you make it? I made a fiberglass tail setions for my bike and was wondering how I could make some side flarings.

·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I built the body in Alias as a 3-D model then had it milled out of blue foam in 3 "molds" one for the upper, one for left and right sides. I then layed the fiberglass over that and then cut it and trimmed it and popped it off. I just riveted the upper to the sides with a rivit gun and i needed to fiberglass the lowers togeather -you can see the extra cloth i left hangin when i layed em up in the picture.

·
49 Posts
what kind of machine milled out the blue foam. Something like a cnc machine? and how did you know the dimentions of the bike to make the 3-D model. I guess I need to go back to school. ( I just graduated in commicatons) should have done what you are going. What are you doing????

·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah we have a 5 axis mill down at school. I just took measurements with a good ol tape measurer for the dimensions.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts