Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Recent Transplant
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my new headlights, twin 4" lamp dominator units from the UK. They have side mounting holes and are 8" wide, my forks are 8.5" apart at the center, so it shouldnt be too hard to mount them. I looked at XPO and some other places, but prefab brackets are like 70 bucks. How hard can it be, right?

hah.

So I got 1/8" aluminium bar stock, thinking I would bend it into two radii bends that will wrap around the fork with bolt hole tabs at either end, and one side could incorporate the longer arm for the bracket. Unfortunately, I don't have access to a real machine shop or bender, so I just wrapped it around some PVC of the right diameter to get the radiused bends in. The 0 radius 90 degree bends are impossible though, cant seem to get the metal to bend uniformly without unbending my original curve. pictures here might help.

Other ideas: thinner fork clamps, and sandwich a flat piece of the bar stock between them, or use worm gear hose clamps to hold the brackets in place around the fork.

Anyone got BTDT or want to weigh in with opinions or advice? Sorry for the long-ass post, Ive been working on it all night and it's bugging me.

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
A set of Acerbis headlight mounting straps (rubber staps that wrap around the forks.)
They have tabs on them that you can squeeze through a properly sized hole. Then you'd either just strap your headlight directly to them, or make small brackets inbetween the straps and the light.

They're $30-40 new.

You could also do the 90 degree bends first, tried that?

·
Recent Transplant
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The acerbis mounts might work, but I feel like these lights need something a bit more solid than rubber straps. I tried doing the 90's first, I can get them in but then doing the radius bend without undoing them is tricky.

Might just go back to home depot and see what else is available for pipe clamps and fittings, and work with that.

·
aka crash test
756 Posts
some things you just have to spend money on

·
Recent Transplant
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
albertaf4i said:
some things you just have to spend money on
To that I say BAH! Most things are certainly easier to spend money on, but hell I could have bought a brand new Triumph speed triple if I solved problems just by throwing money at them.

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
Giving up ain't the answer to this one. The Acerbis straps are BEEFY for rubber. I've beat the living shit out of mine and they're still perfect and not even soft yet.

·
Recent Transplant
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How do those straps mount to the actual headlight itself? I have two 8mm mounting holes on either side of the headlight unit, so a bracket needs to come out from the forks and bolt to those, which I don't know if the acerbis mounts will do.

Tried bending the aluminum some more, and giving up on using that as the clamp. Too stiff, just going to use it for the bracket.

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
7.62 - The acerbis have rubber tabs that you squeeze through a hole. 8mm will have to be drilled out slowly until it they're big enough.

·
Recent Transplant
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lantern, pics coming once I strip down the front end to install new gauges. I think I've got a solution, I had some 1" pipe clamp pieces laying around in my basement from a plumbing project, looks like they would work well if I got a set in 1 3/4" and used a rubber shim between the clamps and the tubes to dampen vibrations. Hopefully if I use 2 on each side and really crank them down with lock washers and nuts, they wont go anywhere.

·
Recent Transplant
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
PS- lantern, for some reason I have to sit through about 10 cycles of your avatar gif before I can avert my eyes and keep scrolling. Freakin' Korean hypnosis.

·
DIZZLE
1,446 Posts
Pics would be the biggest help, take pics of under the speedo, I had some bolts that locked the speedo to the upper triple, I made mounts that went down from there. you could find something harder than pvc and use a hammer to help shape things up. I love to pound things into shapes so they fit:knucks:

·
Registered
526 Posts
You were saying when u got the aluminum bent and then took it off the bends would come out? Have u tried using one of the propane torches u can get from walmart to heat it up and get it to where u want?

·
aka crash test
756 Posts
the acerbis mounts are decent i have not yet have a problem with them but as per bending metal if you want a metal clamp your gonna have to take it somewhere you get it professionally bent or buy some altho you could maybe heat it up enough to do it but you would have to tack or clamp the material to the pipe you are bending around

·
HipsterKillerGarage
6,484 Posts
sevenpointsixtwo said:
they would work well if I got a set in 1 3/4" and used a rubber shim between the clamps and the tubes to dampen vibrations. Hopefully if I use 2 on each side and really crank them down with lock washers and nuts, they wont go anywhere.
Why hassle with making a rubber shim?

RUBBER COAT SS P CLAMPS:

Usually like $2.00 a piece. ;)

Or you can go my route. If you've got some old clip ons that have a mount hole on the front like these GSXRs...

Take 4 of them. Cut the bars off, clean them up so it looks like a standard fork clamp once it's powdercoated.

Mount two lefts on your left fork and two rights on your right fork.

Then, just machine a bracket for each side... :)

VOILA!

100% solid mounting for your lamps and it looks great too.

(Why the hell am I not making this kind of shit and selling it? lol)

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
Where you get those rubber coated clamps? Auto parts store? What would I ask for besides 'those rubber coated clamps'

One of those small enough would be perfect for my gauges.

·
HipsterKillerGarage
6,484 Posts
haelo said:
Where you get those rubber coated clamps? Auto parts store? What would I ask for besides 'those rubber coated clamps'

One of those small enough would be perfect for my gauges.
Try an electrical store. They're rubber lined for insulatory purposes I think.

You want stainless steel rubber lined P clamps. :)

·
Recent Transplant
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Those rubber coated P-clamps are exactly what I found in my basement, but they were too small. Going back to home depot today to pick up the right diameter.

Good call on the clip on brackets, maybe later if I feel particularly motivated, I will try something like that. How much would you ask for a set if you WERE making and selling it?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts