Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have a 2001 Katana that I am wanting some input on some custom made fairings. Im just drawing a blank right now I know I have a few ideas of my own. It's just I cant come up with the rest I know imma have vents near my carbs but the rest is just a blank so how about some ideas of some fairings for my bike. so any help will be appreciate thanks guys.

Attachments

·
I bang metal
2,779 Posts
if you look in the build threads there is a guy that was attempting the same thing you want to do. If you can find his thread you can learn from his mistakes and make it easy. IMO use something to get a general rigid shape (cardboard or papermache even works) and then lay fiberglass over it to make a more permanent part

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks man will do I am also looking for like design ideas for the fairings s well. I am doing the under belly here soon just outta cardboard and then gonna foam it, then fleece it, then fiberglass it but as of right now I am just dumb founded to what shape to go with for the front fairing. Idk if I should do a back fairing if I do id do a cafe rear fairings look idk any ideas help just have builders block :doh:.

·
I bang metal
2,779 Posts
why use fleece? I know it is a cheap and easy way to build up a case layer but it really isnt needed unless you absolutely know you cant afford the extra one or two layers of glass. Stretching the fleece and not getting any wrinkles will be a crap shoot.... it is able to be done for sure but imo its just a risk you really dont need to take. cover your rough shape in latex house paint or foil tape and you should be good. If you are looking to make a part to make a mold from it will be a tad bit different but not by much.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok well i have plenty of glass to do what I need and if I need to order more its a easy 20 bucks for a 5 yard by 36in on ebay.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts