Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 331 Posts

·
EXUP
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What follows is a duplicate of my build thread on another forum, but once I'm up to date I'll post on both.

Originally Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:26 pm

OK so its not "new" but 12 years ago I had a 1985 FZ 750 that was fitted with an FZR 1000 genesis engine, that was imported from Japan by the bike shop I used to work in.

I loved the mongrel so much so that I bought an fzr 1000 genesis back end for her, so I could fit a fatter tyre!!

Used to be great fun, as it looked like an old 750 and many a ZZR1100 et al were surprised by the remarkable turn of speed from the old nail

Anyhow I traded it for the Exup that I still have,

and have always hanckered for another one.

So when this came up on Fleabay it was fate.

FZR 1000 exup engine, exup rear end, FZ forks with Exup front wheel, genesis calipers, and adapter plates.

Bought an FZR1000 Exup front end, to replace the standard FZ forks, then its time to paint, polish, powder coat, etc, etc.

Who says you cant make a silk purse from a sows ear?!?!

Just need a bigger garage!!!

Still gives me something to play with!

·
EXUP
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:37 pm

Created a Photobucket acount to make it easier for you lot to see, It annoys the arse out of me waiting for pics to load, so get ready for a SH*T load!!!

Long way from Naarfook

Carbon fibre seat hump

"Harris rearsets"? or just ally stamped with letter punch???

Not a full Exup front end....yet

YEP it does say 52002 miles

Note precision clearance between water pipe and bottom of fuel tank

Just tried a spare R1 seat unit on for size.

After a wash, with the lagging removed from pipes, dont look too bad.

·
EXUP
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:28 pm

Right, thought I'd best keep you updated with the progress on the FZ1000

have had a jiffle round in the garage, in the hope of going for a spin over easter

so the FZ now resides at the rear, where it can be tinkered with and not be in the way

First job, EXUP valve siezed ho hum

Not as bad as I feared, all header bolts came off, some with studs, but nothing sheared, thank god!
All bolts came out except the last one on the valve cover, typical
So that was drilled and tapped, a little heat on the valve to get her turning, and then strip, clean, grease, and reassemble with stainless bolts and copperslip!!

Then on Monday the FZR1000 top yoke and bars from Fleabay arrived, so were stripped and the bars straightened, blow torch and BIG pole!!
ready to be added to the FZR front end sitting in the corner!

At least with the exhaust off i can prop up the front end ready for the swap!!

And finally today I get home to find this waiting for me!!

Makes me ashamed to be work for Royal Mail, this was only posted on Monday in JAPAN!!!!
We can only just manage that most of the time in the same country!!!

Apologies for all the pics but.... :ttiwwop:

·
EXUP
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:57 pm

Update for anyone that cares
Thought I'd go and have a play as its my day off, and swap the front ends
looking at the front end more closely it "seems" that the frame may be twisted slightly
when viewed from the front the forks seem to have a slight "list" to the left!!

Can't see any obvius damage on the frame, so I'll carry on and keep my eye open for a "straight" frame and logbook on Fleabay, as I was gonna get it mocked up and running before I stripped it down to get bits powder coated anyway.

So any way, swapped headlight just for giggles, looks much better!

Then set about removing front end after constructing my own ABBA stand.
I call it the BODGE

For anyone out there that wants to know, an 89/90 exup front end, 43mm forks, fits straight in, head bearings the same.
Only mods that will be needed are lockstops (hits rad) and if you use exup clipons you will have to alter fairing/move clocks.
Might go the street fightger straight bar route yet, not sure

Yet there is still seems to be a "lean" to the left!! so the original forks/yolkes weren't bent....ARSE!!

So thats where we are now, possible twisted frame, modified lockstops needed, alterations needed to fairing/clocks or fighter bars fitted!

My apprentice wasn't much help, constant look of bewilderment!

Did I mention I need a bigger garage!!

·
EXUP
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Origonally Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:14 pm

Spent the weekend getting the Fz out of the confined space of the garage and checking it properly, and it would indeed appear to merely be an optical illusion creates by an ill fitting top fairing and off centre radiator combined with uneven blocks under the frame!!

When on a paddock stand with said items removed, and using a spirit level to check wheel alignment, all seems straight!!

We will see when I eventually ride it!!!

And while I was there, thought I'd look at the electrics, bit of a mixed bag.
According to the guy I got it from its all YZF750 stuff.
The CDI certainly is, but the connections to the clocks dont tie up with any wiring Diagrams I can find, and the R/H switchgear looks more like thundercat/acd stuff, with what looks like aftermarket connector blocks.
All of this is uncerimoniously stuffed wherever it will fit!!
Will have to see if I can make a box or summat to put it in!!

·
EXUP
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally Posted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:13 pm

Right, been fettling for a while so here goes.
due to the fact that the EXUP clip ons foul the fairing, I thought I'd go the route of bar risers, so got a set off Fleabay and went about adapting the top yoke.
single fixing riser

utilise existing clip on retaining hole by drilling out to 12mm from 8mm

looks ok I feel, only problem is now the brake and clutch lines are too short, still will sort that later, at least it now clears the fairing. ( when its put back on.)

·
EXUP
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally Posted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:37 pm

Also managed to get a L/H switch cluster including choke lever and cable for an R6 to throw into the mix, matches R/H switch cluster, just needs wiring into the spaghetti under the tank, and some braided hose's from a GS1000 to replace the existing ones that are too short due to the risers.

Took the rear end out as well just to check it was all free moving and not siezed, rear spindle was but was soon persuaded otherwise.
Had to do some surgery to the swingarm so the shock doesn't foul it, as it appears to at the moment, also gives me the option to fit dogbones to raise the back end.

after unsiezing the exup valve and removing the Rad to check for true, I thought I'd give them a spray with High Temp paint before putting them back on.

Once they were back on, topped up the radiator, fitted the new battery, and fired her up for the first time since I bought her.
all is right with the world carbs just need a clean and balance but that can come later, still tinkering at the moment.

So thats it up to date, just need to sort the wiring, lock stops, change hoses, and the major stuff is done!

·
EXUP
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally Posted: Tue May 27, 2008 3:56 pm

Posted: Tue May 27, 2008 3:56 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Right, next update, not too much to report, I held off playing for the last week or so as I wanted to see what I could find at the BMF.
Went on Saturday for a change and true to form it rained!!
Still I did manage to pick up a pair of fairing panels in good nick, and some mirrors from the auto jumble for the FZ, and a set of carbon frame guards and a carbon chainguard for the EXUP

Got back from the BMF with the goodies and thought I'd get in the garage for a play, so took the carbs off to give them a going through.
Glad to report all is well, apart from the previous owner using silicone sealer on the diaphram caps, and we all know what happens when silicone sealer meets perol, thats right, It melts and goes all gooey.

so thats as far as I am now, pics to follow!!

·
EXUP
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:18 am

Blimey, just read my last few posts,

Quote: Got back from the BMF

Well its now a year later, and I have again returned from the BMF, bit dissapointed really, not much at all in the auto jumble.

Still I did manage to pick up a complete set of LED tinycators for £24
dust cover £5
2 x front paddock stands £5 each
and a can strap £5

but no luck in finding blue spots, so got some of Fleabay instead.

I do apologise for not updating the post for the last year but have been busy with extensions to the lounge kitchen and most importantly GARAGE!!

At least now I can get back to playing with the FZ although for some reason I dont seem to have any more space in the garage than I did have!!

Before

After

·
EXUP
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:32 pm

Jees, it seems like I get on here once a year!!

Any how, afternoon all, not much progress gone on during the last year as regards the FZ.

but heres whats happened,

Went to the BMF again, purchased an LED flasher unit, to go with the Led indicators purchased the year befor, but thats it!!!

Bought a second hand welder a year ago, put it in the corner of the garage until 3 weeks ago!

Got the urge to go all streetfighter so looked about for a decent headlight
Didnt want to go the twin spot route,I dont like the "STREETFIGHTER" style headlights on Evilbay, so thought I'd see if I c
an get a standard headlight that looks good, along with the bonus of actually being able to see where I'm going at night!!

Anyway pics to follow.

·
EXUP
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:16 pm

So after looking again at Spondons FZ streetfighter I decided I wanted to try and do the same.

But after an unsuccessful trip to the BMF, I scoured Evilbay for An MT03 headlight, they hardly ever come up, so I looked about for somat else and ended up with this

Kind of evil looking, something different to all the twin headlight jobs, and it should light the way at night!!

·
EXUP
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:38 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Headlight arrived so out with the trusty polystyrene block to see what it looks like

Not bad, then tried it in the existing fairing mount so i could use the standard clocks

looks OK from here,

but fugly from everywhere else!!

So back to the original idea I fashioned a makeshift bracket from an old towel rail!!

Unfortunately the towel rail is chromed brass so cant be welded, best get some steel then!!!

God bless Royal Mail!!

·
EXUP
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:28 pm

In the process of positioning the headlight I discovered the brake lines are in the way, due to the stupid 90degree splitter!

So yet again Fleabay is scoured for replcement parts!

So out comes the welder (aquired 2 years ago and not touched since) to see what I can do

Makeshift frame cut about and laid up ready for "welding"

·
EXUP
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:25 am

Anyhoo, my welding is not the best, as the last time I did any was Arc welding at college 16 years ago.
Never had a go at Mig, but how hard can it be?
But this is the result, pigeon shit tastic!!

So further investigation needed on that front, Unless I'm just crap at welding

·
EXUP
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:41 am

Right,

After a little online investigation,I resolved the issue by the following.
Replaced the Mig wire with some Clarke Flux cored Gasless wire, as the stuff in it was un labelled so god knows whether it was gasless or even for mild steel!
Changed the earth clamp and lead as the original one was getting hot!

and after watching several youtube "how to weld" video's this was the result.

Excellent, I'm not that bad at welding after all, at least in a straight line

·
EXUP
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:52 am

Now that I'm confident I can do a better job with welding the Headlight mount up I decide to make another one.

But I'm still having issues with the flip down helmet.....And the welding one

So I decide I'll prepare the frame but wont weld it until my new Autodarken helmet arrives.

First attempt with LOTS of grinding down of the PS welding!!

Note, headlight upside down

Beginnings of the second version, different layout, trying to keep it less visible from the front.

·
EXUP
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:11 am

One of the other things about streetfighters that niggles me is the clocks, trying to get a clean look without resorting to pushbike speedos or Kin expensive digital ones like koso, acewell etc

Plus Id rather avoid the whole "SETUP" procedure if I can.
Trying to adapt the FZ clocks can be done, but they never look right and always seem bodged!
So after much scouring on Fleabay I came up with these, looked good back in the day, Cable driven speedo, electronic tacho, enclosed pods.

Should mount nicely behind the headlight!

·
EXUP
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:45 am

Then on Saturday (4 days ago) this arrived

But so did this!!!

The result of a vicious struggle between my Royal Mail Mailstar and Gravity!

Or to put it another way.....Fell of my post bike!!

End result, few scrapes and bruises, but worst of all Fractured Scaphoid in right wrist and Fractured Radius knuckle joint at the top of right forearm.

Hence the reason for the updates cos I cant do Nowt else as I'm right handed!

Typical, just as I get the enthusiasm to get back into it and start making plans of what to do this happens!
Oh well, best just amass parts for 6 weeks time when I can start playing again.
On the plus side, I'm getting quite proficient at left handed typing!!

And thats all I've tried left handed before your minds go there :fu:

1 - 20 of 331 Posts