Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

301 - 320 of 331 Posts

·
EXUP
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #301
So, once this was completed I fitted the radiator mounts and filled her with water (no coolant yet incase of leaks) and ran her up.

Temperature gauge works

Vid below

Fan switch works a treat too, cuts in at 90 degrees

doesn't take long for the temp to start dropping either

Everything is water tight, just one small problem being that the lower hose is a bit too close to the exhaust header for my liking!

Remedied this by temporarily spacing out the right hand bracket where it mounts onto the frame downtube (as viewed from the front)

But this introduced a gap between the bracket and the rad on the left!!

So I will have to find a solution for this, as I don't really want to make a new bracket unless I have to, may just cut off the mounting lug on the downtube and re-weld it back on 20mm or so further inboard.

And just for giggles replaced my key fob. ( damn you Spdu4ia :D )

So this is the first time she's been run since before Xmas and the weird running on 3 symptom has gone, happy days, not sure if it was the new carb rubbers, the resealed inlet stub o'rings, the new HT leads or the fresh fuel, but its gone and thats all that matters.
Plus on top of all this the new temp gauge and fan switch work, and the new hoses don't leak so all in all I'm a happy teddy bear :D

·
EXUP
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #303
What was the cash count on the bar ends would you say? Just curious.
The bar end weights I already had, stainless steel to fit an FZR 1000 Exup, cost £25 about 6 years ago.

The inserts were £2 each and it cost me a couple of beers to get them machined.

So not too much all in all :D

·
1 Posts
Wowwww ...... Just spend half my weekend in reading this topic and only can say wowwww .... :thumbsup:

I myself am working on an FZ also (and also with Spondon's bike as example lol) and am happy to see more and more people are using this bike as a project. One question i do have for u, since u are using a lot of parts from an FZR 1000 exup why not use its USD legs ? U can throw the whole front in from a distance (even uses the same bearings) and it would make the bike a lot fatter from the front.
Anyway,love the bike and respect ur work on it,just hope mine will look as good as this one when ready

·
EXUP
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #307
Cheers Demous, you're making me blush ;)

Might go for an USD front end in time, but I just want to get her on the road first.

Anyhow thought I'd best pull my finger out and do some more work

So heres a small update,

sorted out the radiator hose clearance issue by introducing a twist into the hose, it looks like it'll give me the clearance I want, if not I'll header wrap the downpipes...........maybe.

Before twist

After twist

Plus it means I can remount the radiator in its original position.

Also ordered some clip washers to attach the undertray to the seat unit, yet to fit

And ordered a chain and sprocket kit from Busters with 16/48 gearing.

attached the old chain temporarily to remove the front sprocket nut, whilst employing the wood through the back wheel technique, but to no avail. even with my long breaker bar!!

seeing as I don't have access to an impact wrench/gun, it was time to let the Neanderthal in me out, hammer and chisel time.

Don't like doing things this way, but needs must, so I have just ordered a new nut to go with the lock washer as these are mullered now.

there you go, small update, more to come I promise.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Fuck me that's taken a good bit of beating to gte it moving. Those Yamaha sprocket nuts seem to like seizing on for a pastime, I had similar problems with the one on the FZR1066 motor in "Harold" I think the rebate on the back of the nut where it lets over the spline slightly tends to hold moisture when wet, and then "glues" itself on there.
I've used the same silicone hoses on my ZRX1000R build as none of the specific bike kit hoses would work with the custom made radiator etc. Over the winter months I'll knock up some patterns and get a set made without the spiral wire inside, as they can be a right fucker to get into a tight radius. Looking very good there, I like the old FZ Yams

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've been reading up on this thread for the past days, it's one heck of a sweet bike!
nice attention to details, but one thing irk me, those hose-clamps you used as headlamp brackets.
Sorry buddy, but I know you can do better!

Keep it up!

/bop

·
EXUP
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #311
Cheers, Mustapha, yep it did take some twatting to get it off, but at least it came off!
Ideally I would like to get the outlet spout on the rad moved, but this will suffice for now.

420, glad you enjoyed the read just sorry you've had 2 days of downtime at work!

Blitz, don't worry, I can take constructive criticism ( unlike some on here ;) ) but this seemed like the best / most cost effective solution to the problem at the time.

I dare say in time, like the rad outlet, things will be revisited at some point, ongoing evolution and all that.

Laters all :rock:

·
EXUP
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #312
Right then, lock washer and sprocket nut arrived, so on with the chain and sprockets.

Mmm gold chain!!

Turned out the front sprocket was a 16 toother anyway, but needed changing!

Made a ramp under the rear wheel to aid in the refitting of it ( just roll it back up the slope instead of trying to lift and hold it in place whilst struggling to insert the axle!!)

Linked the new chain to the old and wound it round, easiest way to put a chain on if you ask me, apart from getting someone else to do it :D

Had to take a link out as it was too long, so out with the grinder.

All riveted and lock tabbed up, nice and safe!

Sprocket cover re installed along with the stainless allen bolts,

then I remembered something I purchased 3 years ago.

Thats right a Carbon chain guard.

Almost forgot I had it :D

Anyhow after that I filled her back up with coolant, fitted the airbox and tank, added a little petrol and took her outside for a brief first ride, bearing in mind I didn't even ride it when I got it 4 ish years ago, I was looking forward to it, just up and down the cul de sac officer!

Video below (click on pic)

Well chuffed, but as I suspected one of the fork seals has popped already

so I will have to replace that before the MOT, and I ground away too much material from one of the lock stops as the forks hit the tank (which wasn't fitted when I "adjusted" them)

:D

·
we are 138
6,063 Posts
Spent the last two nights at work reading your build. Great work. The practical approach you take to problem solving is inspiring.
One question. What material / thickness are you making your brackets out of?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
EXUP
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #315
Now you may remember that my rear rim has a dink in it

And I purchased another wheel to replace it with about a year back

I thought I'd better do something with it, so spent a good couple of hours cleaning all the crap and gunk off of it in preparation for painting.

Not a bad result

So, now it is ready for these to be fitted, courtesy of Ebay, and then painted.

I'll swap the front tyre too so as to have a matching set.

So there you have it, another small update, just have to get some paint for the rear wheel, but as its a bank holiday weekend here, nowt's gonna happen till Tuesday at the earliest :D

·
EXUP
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #316
Took advantage of the sun shining yesterday, so put my replacement rear wheel out in the sun to soften the tyre and thus make it easier to remove.

"New" tyre fitted

Then set about swapping the front tyre, so as to have a matching set.

Front wheel out

All done, discs removed so I can give the front another coat of paint at the same time I paint the rear.

OOh, fancy race tyres!!

And if any one asks, of course I chewed the edges up myself, :LolLolLolLol:

·
EXUP
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #319
any progression?

The beast was featured in Practical Sportsbikes here in the UK back in September

Anyway, since the publication I've not really done much more to her bar paint the rear wheel and disc!

But now that the shoot is over I can post some pics of it in progress, I have to say I'm well impressed as to how well the pictures came out considering the light was fading at the time.

The actual images are about 8mb each so you can zoom in really close without losing detail.

So next in the never ending build is to try and sort out the side panels, whilst trying not to get distracted by the new project that has arrived!

something to keep me busy for the future, once this one gets finished!

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
this has come out very nicely. really excited for the next build

301 - 320 of 331 Posts