Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 92 Posts

·
Flashburnt
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
BTW, this is what the bike looks like right now. Almost ready for the move.

·
Flashburnt
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Little update. Swinger came in today. Will have pics in this post tomorrow. Off an 05 600rr. Forks will hopefully be in the mail next week. Time to start cutting to make this swinger fit:shocker:

·
Flashburnt
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
So I finally got to start working on my bike again. Started off my hauling the bike to the shop

Then I wanted a waist height work bench, so I got a roll around cart, and added a piece of plywood to it, with 2x4 supports notched so it wouldn't slide, and clamped at each end. Then added a custom touch :cfcartman:

The new swinger. 05 CBR600RR thanks sebspeed!

Pullin all the old shit off(btw, all for sale).

Notice the width difference.

So I spent way too much time with a hacksaw...

Initial mock-up.

Then, I noticed there is a lower mount that is almost in perfect position for mounting the lower dogbone. And I have a question. From the measurements I got from allspoolin4, when I bolt up to the existing holes, it puts the rear of the bike about a thumbs width, or 1" lower. Should I move the mounts so they are exact, or do you see any problem with rocking the stock mounting spots?

And, now with the stock shock out, I can cut off the bracket, and I have a perfect place for my battery, CDI box, relays and shit, all inside the frame rails. One shitty part, is that the reservoir for the shock sits out the side, and might hit my subframe, but that's just an excuse for me to build another subframe like I wanted to. I mean, look at all this space!

·
Flashburnt
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Looks like I got a deal for some Renthal Fatbars, and a carbon 2 Bros can I will shorten for the undertail exhaust. Should be in the mail late this week along with my forks!

·
Flashburnt
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
So after further examination, the mounts on the bottom I was hooking the linkage up to, is offset. So it was time to hack those off. While I was at it, I also nixed the top shock mount.

I also hacked my subby off. Gonna have to chop it all off, yet I left a little still there for the time being, for mock up purposes.

This is where it sits.

Feel free to photochop any ideas you have.

My idea of a bobbed tail, curved lower bar on the sub, and a 10" carbon can, with a leather covered seat, mock-up looks something like this.

Shitty picture of what it might look like with my ass on it.

Noticed I think I'm going to have to shim the rear sets out slightly to make sure I can get the exhaust through there. Also noticed there is a TON of room between the frame rails, I'm soo stoked.

·
Flashburnt
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
So I have a new subframe idea. Though of it this morning. Its on page 14 of my discussion. Its MS paint drawing, so its not exactly what I'm going for. Also thought I'd post pics of whats in the mail :shocker:

Renthal Fatbars

2 Bros carbon can

05' 600RR forks/triples

All parts thanks to Sebspeed!:rock: Worked out a trade with my parts and his parts plus some skrilla.

·
Flashburnt
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Well, I started to apply my new subframe idea last night. Started off with teaching myself to bend the 3/4" square tubing around a tight bend. So after clamping it to an old 17"-ish pulley, clamping it to it, and slowly heating it, it bent quite nicely.

I then hacked off the most usable are of the bend I could.

Then I finished hacking off the rest of my old subframe.

So then I tacked the upper bars in place, and taped the lowers to see if I liked it.

So the only change soo far, is that I removed the upper bars, and will have them mounted wider at the front, so they will match with the lower curved bars, and mount more flush. They will flush mount underneath, with gussets. Anyway, its getting there. I'd like to have the can before I weld everything up so I can make sure it fits well.

·
Flashburnt
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Alright alright...

I finally made progress where I took steps forward, not backward.

Redid my subframe AGAIN and this time I liked it. Tacked it in. Cut the lower bars, tacked them. Got the rear tank mount tacked up. Overall, I'm really liking the look. I also hacked off this dumb bracket on the front I forgot about. Anyway, pics.

And then, a subby might look cool, but it has to look right with the rider. I think it looks good. You tell me.

So I'm liking it. Its 4 1/2" wide at the rear, which, if my can is 4" round, should fit quite nicely. I might opt to not use the can, and use some sort of silencer or really small exhaust. Actually, please refer me to some small exhausts.

Let me know what you think.

·
Flashburnt
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
So the night started, and I pulled off my swinger, after I made templates for the lower linkage, and threw it in my trunk to get the hole tigged. Then I went on to the rear of the subframe.

This idea, I thought of the other night, half asleep, probably on something. I now have refined it. Anywhere, here is the start of it.

·
Flashburnt
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Now if you go back through some pictures, you may be able to catch a glimpse of my 79 Trans Am exhaust tips-turned coat hangers. Well, I was goofing around with them, and might have stumbled onto something.

I then thought it would be cool to be symmetrical, so I had my friend hold another up there.

Then it was too wide, so I chopped some out between them, and tacked them where they mated together. Then mocked it up with duct tape. This is where it sits.

Final side profile.

So what do you think? My plan is to get a really short muffler/baffle, and get it in there somewhere, and I'm going to wrap all the exhaust anyway, and coat the tips black. Eh? Comments on my exhaust, my build, the way I wear my hair, are all welcome.

·
Flashburnt
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
So $102 and my new 40ft extension cord for my welder, and I went nuts. Welded everything on the subframe up nicely, none of this flux shit. Then ground it all down to make it look decent. Also worked on the tips a little bit. Going to work on them a bit tonight hopefully. What do you all think of the angle they are at? Tilted slightly up. Anyway, pics.

This picture is kinda trippy. It almost looks like there are 4 tips per side, but its just the reflection. Anyway, tips will be black, but here is my bailing twined placement.

Comments always welcome.

·
Flashburnt
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Well, been a little busy tearing out a pontiac 400 that ate 13 lifters. Anyway, I did some work.

I got my battery box, trimmed some excess crap off, and fitted it in between the framerails, in a perfect spot. Its going to mount up great.

I got the tail fairing started. Tacked it, decided I liked it, then started to weld it up. Its 22 gauge, really thin, because I had it, and finding metal around here is a chore. So I made due with it. As I started to grind, my disk exploded (never buy shit cheap disks), so I didn't get to finish grinding it down. It had been a long day, so I will go back through and take care of lows/pin holes. Also note I capped the underside.

And I threw the tips back up in place to see if they still look right, and they do :shocker: Have to trim some more to get them to sit in perfect though.

Profile shot

And pics to show that I fit. Mind you, I will sit slightly higher with my seat. I plan to make a base. Then a seat pan that will be covered in foam, then have that wrapped in stitched leather.

Oh yeah, I got a header I think I'm going to cut up to use for my tail piping. Will the header piping be big enough?!

Questions, comments, concerns. Let me have em.

·
Flashburnt
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Alright alright. First my bitch. I took my parts in two weeks ago. I took them in on a Monday. Guy said he would get to them end of the week, or early the following week at the latest. I stopped by yesterday(Thursday, 10 days after I dropped them off), and he hadn't even started on them. Pisses me right off. His procrastinating my parts is slowing my progress. Its maybe 2 hours worth of work. Fuckin come on.

Ok, so I got my forks, can, and bars from Sebspeed, in trade for my wheels, forks, and some cash. Got them mocked up.

Then I shortened the can even more. Got the tips looking decent. Sprayed some black on them so I'd get an idea.

Then I set my happy ass down on it. I need to build a seat frame so the can stays where it is, and build a seat pan and start getting foam on that. Anyway, this is close, but the can wont hang down in the front when I get the base made. I want to start on my exhaust but need my swinger. And does anyone see a problem with running 1 5/8" pipe from my collector into my can?

·
Flashburnt
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
So I picked up my swinger yesterday, only to find out the only machinist in town broke his lathe... :doh: So I am still waiting on my bushing. I couldn't wait any longer, so I mocked all the shit up to get that much closer. Got the lower linkage mounts made.

And made my gussets. Didn't feel like welding them in tonight. Will tomorrow hopefully, when I do my linkage. I have to get some measurements for the linkage before I weld it in.

·
Flashburnt
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
So my swingarm bushing still isn't fucking done. He said tomorrow(friday) so hopefully. But hes going on 2 weeks late now so I'm not holding my breath.

Thanks to The Hooligan :rock: I got my measurements for the linkage, so I could set up the swingarm and weld the mounts up. I also slightly lowered the bike, about 3/4" with the placement of the mounts.

Decided I wanted to rock the gussets, so I did. Then I decided I wanted to break them up a little, so pulled out the drill.

I then jumped on the exhaust. First time EVER building exhaust, so it was all new. I think its turning out great. I flattened it where it will sneak behind my rearset. Everything needs to be mounted, in most pics its just sitting.

Full bike shot for Babyfighter the little whiney fuck. I even uncovered my forks for ya buddy :)

Opinions on the gussets and exhaust please:shocker:

·
Flashburnt
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
So some have eliminated the fuel pump on the F3, because the F2 didn't have one, and I am pressed for space, so I pulled mine off. Gotta find a petcock off an F2 though, because mine is shot anyway.

Then I modified my battery tray for some more room. Angled it back for clearance in the front for the petcock and other misc. shit.

Then I also pulled off all that bullshit ram air shit. I forgot to take a picture of all the stuff I got rid of, but fuck. Solenoid, and like 5ft of stupid hose. Its setup so that the solenoid opens at 12mph and that pressurizes the bowls or some stupid shit. Anyway, got everything all setup.

·
Flashburnt
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Also, mind you, I have never ridden this bike. I bought it laid over and hadn't run in 6 years. First night, I got it running after rebuilding the carbs. Then, I tore it all apart. Now its been over a year since I have run it. Now I've taken about 18" out of almost all of the harness, as well as bypassed the damn kickstand switch(because sometimes on stoppies it drops down and kills the bike), and the clutch switch is temporarily bypassed, and I might do that permanently. I got it running tonight just running on starting fluid. Probably shouldn't have revved it like a did, but it wasn't that high. I still need to get some tank sealant and seal my tank, then get a petcock and see how it works. Anyway, short vid.

Also, mind you, all the exhaust is damn near open, I taped the midpipe to the header, and the muffler to the midpipe. :thumbsup:

·
Flashburnt
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
So with no argon I have been taking care of little tedious things. I first took my battery box and modded it some to rake the battery back. Then to keep heat down, I took a starter solenoid heat shield, cut it in half, and riveted it inside, to keep heat off the battery. The exhaust will be wrapped, but this is extra precaution.

Then made a cover that opens slightly so I can set it in, then rake it back and close the lid. I need to find a little rubber strap so I can strap it down.

And mounted it.

Here is the tank down with all the wiring underneath. You can also see I mounted the RR on the subframe.

This is where it sat after today.

Now I need to figure out where to mount my ignition switch, push button start, and that's pretty much it for electrical. I eliminated the clutch switch and kickstand switch. No more kill switch either. Just the key.

·
Flashburnt
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
I filled the bowls with fuel and hoped it would start. And it did :party-smiley:. It ran well, stumbled a little, might be missing. I will probably pull the carbs off once more and make sure they are all legit inside. But, it runs. Its a sigh of relief after hacking up the harness like I did.

EDIT - Here is the correct video. Thanks for the heads up nailbomb.

·
Flashburnt
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
So I finally got my swinger bushing. Wasn't perfect but I made it fit. NOW... its perfect. Narrowed everything I had to and it swings oh soo nice.

Also worked on the exhaust some. I have to pull it off and shorten the coupler so I can actually get the damn exhaust up and in there. I also made the mistake and put the tabs on the wrong side, so I can't pull the exhaust out easily. Cutting the tacks tonight and putting them on the other side will solve that. Still need to figure out a rear mount for the can. Anyway...

Oh! And I've got a rear wheel coming from Vernk and a headlight from Scrappy!

21 - 40 of 92 Posts