Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

Fathead_03's 1996 CBR build "to be named"

132K views 91 replies 1 participant last post by  Fathead_03 
#1 ·
All discussion about my build should go in this thread Fathead_03's 1996 CBR build "to be named" - Discussion Thread

So this is where my bike stands as of tonight. Little background. I started this bike back in march of this year. I had access to all the tools I needed, as I was working at a custom/restoration shop. Well I quit there, had some things come up, and it got put on the back burner for quite a while. Well, now is my time to get off my ass and get it done. You can read my previous build thread here.

See less See more
#2 ·
Things that I have done previous to competing in the buildoff.

custom subframe
modded tank
flipped clip-ons
moved all unused tabs from frame
painted engine
new black levers
some other little stuff.

I'm into the bike
Bike - $900
Levers - $20
Headlight - $80 (going to probably change)
Misc. things - ~$20

#3 ·
So i made some headway tonight. Started off by fixing my bars. I flipped my clip-ons, and mounted them under the triple. But as i did, i noticed it was rather crouched, and when i got started today, it made my clutch cable too short, and put too much drag on my throttle cables. So, i kept them upside down, but put them above the triple. No big deal.

I then began removing all the tape off the wiring harness, removing all unused wires, and im getting ready to drastically shorten a large chunk of the harness, i just need to get another soldering iron. Went about running all the wires, installing all the fuel lines, carb heater lines, etc.

Then i got a few more small things done. Caliper mounted up, got the chain on, sprocket cover, headlight wired(looking for a v-rod style headlight, have a cyclopse for the time being).

Im trying to get the bike all together, running, and driving first, after this first set of mods, such as the tank and subframe. I have a decent job ahead of me finishing the tail. I have never actually ridden this bike, as when i got it, i got it running, then tore it all apart. I want to make sure i work out any kinks before i get too much into customizing things, and end up not making the deadline. I do have a few secrets up my sleeve:shocker:

Here it sits end of the night.

#4 ·
I thought i pulled alot of wires out last night, i thought wrong. Started shortening up the main portion of the harness by about 16" tonight. Thats almost done. Ran all the relays, sensors, etc to the approximate place they will reside, and shortened them within reasonable length.

Then figured id see if shed crank. Nope. Headlight would shut off when i hit the start button, but wouldnt crank. I jumped the relay and it cranks, and it gets power to the relay when you hit the button. Pretty sure its the relay. Also, fuel pump wouldnt prime when the key was turned on, so i ran power straight to it. Spins over fine. Wont get power to it, wont even get power to what i believe to be the fuel pump relay(or fuel cut off relay).

If anyone knows of an online wiring diagram for an f3 where you can actually read the wire colors, let me know. So thats where i stand tonight. Almost all of the wiring is done, all fits under the tank, just need to catch those gremlins.

#5 ·
So tonight i spent another 3 hours chasing electrical problems. Found one, had 2 identical plugs swapped, one for the fuel pump, cant remember the other one. Then still no starting, thought there may be a problem with the kill switch, so i pulled those wires out. Then ended up cutting the starter button switch. Dont think im going to run a kill switch. Probably just the key, and im going to put a push button start under the seat. Might put a rocker switch for the kill under the seat as well. Not under it, but below it on the side, you know. probably flush mount the push button in the fairing when i build it. Still hunting on this fuckin thing. Starting to piss me off to the point where i want to jump in the full bathtub holding my battery charger with one hand and a beer in the other. So i called it a night before i got too frustrated. Hopefully put in some time tomorrow and get it solved. Not much more i can do, other than re-wire the whole bike, which i may do eventually, to make everything clean, the perfect length, and solve this shit.

Oh yeah, contemplating putting a turbo on it too. I have a turbo-god of a friend, and i feel comfortable fabricating anything, so the only thing holding us back is the carbs, whether they can handle boost, and tuning them. Ill keep you all updated on how that starts to pan out.

#6 ·
The fucker cranks over!!! Finally. Shit, i was about to start from scratch. Then i found the pin on the neutral switch had been pulled back a hair, wasnt making contact, but when i probed, i probed from the good side, so it read it was working. Shit. Anyway, after my little fiasco, i now will not use the factory kill switch or start button, as i may not even run a kill switch, but im flush mounting the push button below my seat, next to my ignition.

So now that the wiring is figured out(could shorten up the wires more, but after this headache, i might just cram), all i need to do is make some sort of plate to mount the relays and fuses, so they arent flopping around. Next is to decide on a battery tray idea, and it looks like i may be able to keep alot of my subframe exposed, so i have to decide on if i want it exposed, or covered with minimal side fairings, yet leaving the shock exposed.

Also, looks to be somewhat doable to turbo the bike, so i might be keeping my eyes out for certain parts, like a raising rate fuel pressure regulator, small turbo, etc. Not sure if im sold on the idea, but seems doable for sure. Probably a question of funds, but id fab up the header, charge pipe, intake manifold/airbox, etc. So just a few main components would be spendy. Good thing i have 6 months!

Tomorrow i hope to have the harness wrapped back up, start looking for a fuel pump relay(only thing i need, i can jump the relay, and it works). I might start making templates for my fairings and whatnot. See how driven i am tomorrow.

#7 ·
So i hauled my tank off and started sanding it down. Then i got a crazy hair and decided to start on my tail. So i bought some resin, glass, foam, and had an old fleece blanket laying around. The foam was $10 for a huge sheet at home depot.

So i originally started off with foam inserts in the sides, but the subframe ended up being too wide to be comfortable, so i scrapped the sides. Cut 3 triangles and used trim adhesive to stick them together. Cut out the bottom so itd sit flush on the rear of the sub. Then started shaping it with a knife and hacksaw blade. Got it close, then used 40grit on a small block to shape it. So after that, i used an old fleece blanket to stretch over it all, to start to give it the shape i wanted. I then covered that with tinfoil so it will release.

After that, i went and stretched the fleece over everything again, being rather particular with the shape, since this will be the base for my glass.

I then mixed the resin and started applying it very heavy, soaking the fleece.

So this is where its at right now. I still will need to form some filler pieces between the tank and the tail fairing. Im pretty sure im going to cut openings in the side fairings so my shock is exposed. The piece that is in resin right now, will stay one piece, yet i will be cutting all the excess fleece off, to make it flow, and follow the bottom of the subframe. I will then make an undertail as well, which will extend into the subframe, leaving most of the shock exposed. Both will attach to the subframe. Im going to fiberglass a battery box as well. I might even make a little box under the seat in which i can keep the registration/insurance papers. I might add more later, as im a little high right now from the resin.

#8 ·
So i sanded on my tank a little bit and had to bring it back home so i could mock up the tail and make sure shit fits/looks halfway ok. I also trimmed off some of the excess BS on the first layer of fleece.

Here the tail is somewhat trimmed except the rear, because im not going to fuck with that till all is said and done.

Now this was just a mockup, using the tape. This is kind of what im going for. But, when i applied the resin, on the underside i had it domed up, for a concave undertail. Well, it fell. But also, lucky me, i couldnt get enough resin, so i pulled the tail off, and resin'ed the shit out of it. Should have the right curve then.

The opening around the shock will fit and be bigger also. And, if you check in my build thread, im probably going to open the sides to expose the shock and make shit look less bulky.

Here is the idea about going around the shock.

And here is a picture of the idea i have for the sides of the tailfairings. Remember, i still have to make the fairings meet the tank still, so dont give me too much shit.

#9 ·
Alright, the tail is really rough right now, i havent trimmed the excess off the fleece, but this is the idea. The very end is going to come to more of a point in which ill make with glass and kitty-hair. Anyway, here are some pictures of my POS.

#10 ·
So i started glassing. my stupid fucking ass got in a hurry trying to get a layer on everything first round. so whatever was on the bottom while i was glassing on top started to fall down, so half my fuckin glass on my tail fell off. Oh well. im gonna try to get a bolt out of a cv axle for my roommate then get more glass. shit better cure fast.

#11 ·
got back from the store, had my halogen lights on it. gonna try to get another layer down right now. THen maybe one more tonight. Wish i had my DA and compressor here, i have to drive out to a shop to use that shit. Oh well, here it goes again.

#12 ·
So shit is turning out really bulky. I may work with what i have. I may just fleece and rock just sanded fleece. I may do it in sheetmetal. I may bob it. I guess we will see.

Or i might bob it with two tails, a bobbed, and one just like the tail i was making.

#13 ·
So what happens when you have nothing to do on a holiday such as thanskgiving? You DW. Tried another approach to doing my tail. Reshaped it a little more. Got ahold of some floral foam, glued it together(note: the glue they sell for it sucks, does not get hard. instead, use spray adhesive, works much better and almost instant). Made the general shape, then carved a better shape, then sanded it to what i was thinking. Then, resin'ed right over the foam. I plan on melting out the foam once im done. Here are some pics.

Getting the general shape.

A little bit of sanding.

The rear of the seat pan area.

Added the resin right over the foam.

This where i left it. See how it turns out.

Please visit my discussion thread and let me know what you think of it, and what you think of my altered idea for the tail.

#14 ·
Little update, started glassing the tail section, and ran out of hardener on thanksgiving day. yet to go back, because ive been busy trying to get this jeep going.

Also received my fuel pump relay and right rear set!

#15 ·
Its been a few days since ive done work. I ran out of hardener, then picked up my jeep that i was getting going, now that its good to go, back to the bike.

Got my rear set from byrdmancafe in the mail, swapped my pegs and shit over, threw those on. Temporarily hose clamped the rear brake line and the shock reservoir because i plan to get a VFR swinger, if all goes right.

Picked up some more hardener, will finish glassing this evening, after my roommate is done printing, pussy cant handle the resin fumes.

Worked on finishing up all the wiring, so i went though a whole fucking roll of electrical tape, but it was worth it. Next bike i build though, im building the harness from scratch. Fuck factory harnesses. Ill use the plugs maybe. Anyway, got the harness wrapped, and pretty close ideas for where i am going to mount things. CDI box and RR will be mounted under the tail, almost all relays will be off the back of the airbox, under the tank. Might make some sort of mounting box for all that shit. Battery i plan to go above the shock, but my battery is huge. I think ill get a gel battery and mount it flat(horizontal) or if its small enough, fit it inside the tail. Anyway, here are some pictures. Still a little jumbled but yeah...

Questions and comments, lemme hear em...

#18 ·
Resin hardened up, so i scraped most of the foam out for the time being. Set it on the tail, to get an idea of how its gonna look. Let me know what you think. All i have to figure out now is how to form the seatpan area, from the tail to the sides of the tank and covering the upper subframe bar. shouldnt be to tough. anyway, pics.

and yeah, i take alot of the same pic from different angles. i wanna see if it looks funny or something. fuck off.

#19 ·
and a few pics with my sorry ass on the thing. and keep the crocs comments to yourself. they are nice around the house, so i dont fuck up my socks. haha.

#20 · (Edited)
Well, its been on the back burner for a while. Just to let you know, I'm not out of it yet. I traded some parts of my forks for a deal on these forks with triple. They are off of a cbr600rr.

Also from the same board member, I am getting a polished swinger and shock from a cbr600rr, which will be powdercoated black.

:rock: Probably build me a PC oven when I get home. So I will be swappin in this swinger too :rock:

Also, now with this swinger, and that I am going to have more time on my hands, and a full shop(not a mud room) at my disposal, I am going to build a new subframe, more flowing, more intricate, more involved. At the moment, I plan on making it really flow with a shortened undertail exhaust(still going to run a tail, but rather short). Really incorporate the pipe into the subframe. With this, swinger also, I will get a 600rr wheel, and will run a 180 or 190 tire.

EDIT: Will be running 600rr wheels front and rear.

A few other plans, little bit more cleaning up, little more fabrication, more work on the harness. This thing will be taking shape real soon.

#21 · (Edited)
BTW, this is what the bike looks like right now. Almost ready for the move.

#22 ·
Little update. Swinger came in today. Will have pics in this post tomorrow. Off an 05 600rr. Forks will hopefully be in the mail next week. Time to start cutting to make this swinger fit:shocker:

#23 ·
So I finally got to start working on my bike again. Started off my hauling the bike to the shop

Then I wanted a waist height work bench, so I got a roll around cart, and added a piece of plywood to it, with 2x4 supports notched so it wouldn't slide, and clamped at each end. Then added a custom touch :cfcartman:

The new swinger. 05 CBR600RR thanks sebspeed!

Pullin all the old shit off(btw, all for sale).

Notice the width difference.

So I spent way too much time with a hacksaw...

Initial mock-up.

Then, I noticed there is a lower mount that is almost in perfect position for mounting the lower dogbone. And I have a question. From the measurements I got from allspoolin4, when I bolt up to the existing holes, it puts the rear of the bike about a thumbs width, or 1" lower. Should I move the mounts so they are exact, or do you see any problem with rocking the stock mounting spots?

And, now with the stock shock out, I can cut off the bracket, and I have a perfect place for my battery, CDI box, relays and shit, all inside the frame rails. One shitty part, is that the reservoir for the shock sits out the side, and might hit my subframe, but that's just an excuse for me to build another subframe like I wanted to. I mean, look at all this space!

#24 ·
Looks like I got a deal for some Renthal Fatbars, and a carbon 2 Bros can I will shorten for the undertail exhaust. Should be in the mail late this week along with my forks!

#25 ·
So after further examination, the mounts on the bottom I was hooking the linkage up to, is offset. So it was time to hack those off. While I was at it, I also nixed the top shock mount.

I also hacked my subby off. Gonna have to chop it all off, yet I left a little still there for the time being, for mock up purposes.

This is where it sits.

Feel free to photochop any ideas you have.

My idea of a bobbed tail, curved lower bar on the sub, and a 10" carbon can, with a leather covered seat, mock-up looks something like this.

Shitty picture of what it might look like with my ass on it.

Noticed I think I'm going to have to shim the rear sets out slightly to make sure I can get the exhaust through there. Also noticed there is a TON of room between the frame rails, I'm soo stoked.

#26 ·
So I have a new subframe idea. Though of it this morning. Its on page 14 of my discussion. Its MS paint drawing, so its not exactly what I'm going for. Also thought I'd post pics of whats in the mail :shocker:

Renthal Fatbars

2 Bros carbon can

05' 600RR forks/triples

All parts thanks to Sebspeed!:rock: Worked out a trade with my parts and his parts plus some skrilla.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.