Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well y'all I guess it's time to start a thread for this project seeing as how I'm doing work on it. Long story short, I got two 2001 dr650's and will be building one supermoto out of them. The good news is I have almost an entire bike worth of parts to sell in order to pay for the fun stuff. I had a 2008 drz400 s/m years back and loved it, but I had always like the dr650 better. It was a simple air/oil cooled suzuki motor in a chassis that was a little more suitable for highway and longer distances than the 400. So I guess here we are today.

Not planing any game changing ultra mega tard type build, but I do plan on changing a bunch of things to make this a clean unique looking bike. That's the plan so here we go! :shocker:

Motor I'm using in the frame I'm using, both washed and cleaned up nice. Black paint on the frame is shitty and will be going at some point in this build, no worries :D

Some of the good bike's parts but mostly the more beat up bike's parts.

The rest of the good bike's parts are in my bedroom.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Nice to see you start another build ill be watching!

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lame update... :LolLolLolLol:
But, the goal for the short term here is to get the good parts all together in the form of a bone stock bike and get the carb cleaned, which it's in need of, and get it running. Then I will start the fun stuff. So it will get interesting just hang with me here. I've stripped 2 dr650's and I'm putting one back together, just to strip it completely again, and put it back together :D

For now, here is where I'm at.

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Carby then.

Carby now.

The outside made the carb look worse than it was. All that nasty stuff was mouse piss, one made the bike it's home for a while. The inside was actually really nice and all I needed to do was a quick pinesol soak and hot water rinse and carb cleaner spray. The outside took some elbow grease, but all in all pretty easy job.

Then.......... Sigh.... I made a decision I almost immediately regret....

That tank and seat are from a Honda FT500 I parted out a while ago. I had an interest in doing a modern take on a scrambler/motard wheeled bike when I first picked up this bike. And in my opinion that tank and seat look freaking killer on there.

Here is a dr650 that resembles the type of look I'm interested in.

I didn't intend on going that direction and may not still.... SO DONT FALL IN LOVE WITH IT :D

But damn.

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Most of me want's to keep this a stockish looking DR650 but with small touches that make people scratch their head and say, "That isn't factory is it?". I think that the DR makes for a clean looking motard in near stock form.

Example A.

I'd like to have a bike I can ride two up on. And I'd like to have a bike that utilizes more of the stock parts to keep things simple. And I'd like to have a motard that looks... Well like a motard. There is really only one direction you can take a mortard build and while there are going to be changes, I think the one thing that should stay constant is the fact that it's a dirt bike with 17's.

With the FT500 tank being rusted inside and bondo'd outside it's pretty much scrape. I have a clean as hell stock tank and seat for this bike so that is what I'll more than likely use.

I'll try to make this an interesting build :LolLolLolLol: I just feel like with all the crazy shit being done on this forum it's kinda lame to not go fork, swingarm, seat, tank, wheel swap crazy on this...

·
Registered
51 Posts
so my brother has a 1978 suzuki gs550e we have been lookn fir a set of carbs for it for close to a year now with no luk anybody know anybody that gots a set it would really help out with his cafe racer build im the one building it he is the one that is gonna b enjoying it lol

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's so stock! :LolLolLolLol:

Took it out for a quick 8 or so mile ride today, and besides a leaky petcock and a small oil leak at the base gasket she is good.

First impression is that the suspension really needs some help. It's soft as all hell! Good news it that there are proven parts out there to cure that problem. Basically all you'd need to do is go to procycle's website and open your wallet lol. Don't plan on switching to an usd fork mostly because these can be setup really well for SM duty. But as always that option isn't off the table yet.

I really think stock this bike is pretty corked up. Need to check into a 3x3 type mod for the airbox ala drz400. Rejet the carb and get rid of that over weight boat anchor pos stock muffler.

About that muffler. Posting pics of a bone stock DR650 in this thread has even me board. So here is a teaser shot of the pipe I picked up for the bike.

It's a dual exhaust off of a 2013-2014 CRF450 :rock:

Should be pretty sexy on there and loose a ton of weight at the same time. Pretty psyched about that one....

Hang in there mods are coming soon. Thanks to all the early subscribers too!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Might I add what in the actual fuck were they thinking with the blue tank, all white plastic scheme for this year. To me anyways, hands down worst DR650 color scheme...(It came just like that picture above in 2001. It wasn't made ugly by anyone prev. to me.)

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
Might I add what in the actual fuck were they thinking with the blue tank, all white plastic scheme for this year. To me anyways, hands down worst DR650 color scheme...(It came just like that picture above in 2001. It wasn't made ugly by anyone prev. to me.)
Lol I have all white plastic for my drz ready to be installed but haven't yet because I don't want that scheme, so I'll be waiting til I'm able to get the tank done.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts