Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

Few small problems

1K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  Cole K 
#1 ·
Well, finally took possession of the R6 on Monday. Last night I found a couple problems.

First off, a fuel line split. Is this something hard to fix? It's the line coming from the tank. Will I have to disassemble the engine? I have a family friend coming on Sunday to help me out, but if I can do it myself, I'd rather save him the trouble. Also, does any one know the inside diameter for the line? I'm going to hazard a guess at 5/16 but again, not totally sure.

Second, I need to wire up a license plate light to pass inspection. I'm not sure how it should get wired up. I know for this situation, pictures would help, so I'll get some posted when I'm home from work. I'm guessing that I need to wire it into the tail lights so that it's always on, but again not totally sure.

Third, horn doesn't work which I also need for the inspection. This is probably something I could do myself, but the one screw for the left switches is stripped. I'll try to get ahold of a dremel so I can cut a slot into it. This is the one thing that I'm not too sure about doing myself because the horn is behind the rad. Might pay for a shop to do this unless its actually going to be an easy fix.

Any insight for any of these issues? Like I said, I'll try to get any pictures required as soon as I'm home from work. Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, finally took possession of the R6 on Monday. Last night I found a couple problems.

First off, a fuel line split. Is this something hard to fix? It's the line coming from the tank. Will I have to disassemble the engine? I have a family friend coming on Sunday to help me out, but if I can do it myself, I'd rather save him the trouble. Also, does any one know the inside diameter for the line? I'm going to hazard a guess at 5/16 but again, not totally sure.

What year R6? You should be able to look it up online. Is there a Yamaha dealer close to you, they might sell the part. You could also take the fuel line off and take it to an auto parts store and have them help you match up a replacement length. You shouldn't need to disassemble the engine.

Second, I need to wire up a license plate light to pass inspection. I'm not sure how it should get wired up. I know for this situation, pictures would help, so I'll get some posted when I'm home from work. I'm guessing that I need to wire it into the tail lights so that it's always on, but again not totally sure.

There should already be wires dedicated to the license plate light. See if you can find them in the tail, hopefully the previous owner did not snip them way back. Otherwise you can carefully wire them to the brake/running light. Your best bet would be to wire in a small plug to the brake light so you can unhook the plate lights if needed when disassembling the tail. There are some license plate bolts that double as lights.

Third, horn doesn't work which I also need for the inspection. This is probably something I could do myself, but the one screw for the left switches is stripped. I'll try to get ahold of a dremel so I can cut a slot into it. This is the one thing that I'm not too sure about doing myself because the horn is behind the rad. Might pay for a shop to do this unless its actually going to be an easy fix.

Check the fuses first, maybe it is a simple fix. Check the wiring that goes to the horn and make sure it is plugged in and not corroded. You could add the wiring if needed with a small button. Black from the horn to the frame. Red from the battery to one of the button terminals and then from the other button terminal to the horn.

Any insight for any of these issues? Like I said, I'll try to get any pictures required as soon as I'm home from work. Thanks in advance!
See my response in green

#3 ·
Mike, you must be a godsend. For the plate light, there aren't any loose wires kicking around in the back, but my dad is an electrician, so wiring everything up will be no problem and I'll probably end up with a really good solution.

The horn, I'm hoping the button is just out of place, but I need to get a stripped screw off first. Maybe I'll get brave and end up dropping the rad out completely on Sunday as well.

It is a '99, no dealers close to me however, but I'm going to grab a couple feet of hose anyways. Kind of worried about how easily the line split, so I'd like to have some extra length for it anyways in case anything else goes wrong since it looks like all the lines are still original.

Will get pictures of everything this evening.

#12 ·
THE '99 R6 is not injected.
Reference the horn, if your dad is an electrician whats the problem.

The fuel lines normally last a long time unless the bike has been standing for long periods, I have a '02 R6 with 30k + miles on the original hose
also my horn was mounted on the bottom yoke.

#7 ·
Got the fuel line sorted out. Took about an hour and a half, with me having no idea what I was doing, but just traced the line to the fuel pump and replaced the line with relative ease.

For the plate light, that's been sorted out as well, my dad took a look at it while I was at work today and figured out a solution.

The horn is the last thing on my list at the moment, but that will be taken care of this weekend. Thanks for all the help!

#8 ·
I've seen a lot of enduros slide through street inspection with a small airhorn (like the type you'd get at a sporting goods store) taped to the middle of the bar or the top of the fork. Fixing the actual horn is probably better, but if it's a non-trivial fix, an airhorn might get you through inspection...

#9 ·
#14 ·
One thing I can tell you for (pretty) sure about trying to get janky, half-assed, maybe-technically-legal bullshit through inspection is that if you go in with an attitude like that, of course it's not going to work. A dumb smile and a copy of state code is your best bet (unless state code explicitly prohibits what you're trying to do, in which case just go with the dumb smile).

The horn thing can work, though. I have license plates to prove it. I can't say whether it'll work in California or Canada or anywhere else, but definitely in Virginia, definitely in Washington (state), and we'll see about DC in another month or two (I hate horns, so I typically ditch mine when the turn signals go... thus the fixation on temporary air horns...).

Just throwing it out there as something to try if the OP wants to get the bike through inspection quick and the hard parts are broken. Looks like he's got it about fixed anyway.

#11 ·
I'll be dropping the rad and getting the stripped screw out ASAP. That'll give me a good chance to take a look at the horn itself and get the switch cluster apart. Shouldn't have to replace anything I'm thinking.

The light will also get done at some point this weekend, but that should be done in about 20 minutes

#15 ·
Well, going along with my absolute noobness, I discovered what I thought was the horn, was actually the fan motor... Ooops, I feel quite silly. Anyways, after I picked my pride back up from the floor, I went out and bought a new horn. Now the new problem is, I have no idea what colour wire it is for the horn. Asked on r6-forum, got a bunch of views in the thread, but no responses. Looked through wiring diagrams and the service manual, but honestly, I have no idea how to read that.

And as an aside, what would be the best way to clean up the rats nest of wires from the front of the bike?

#16 ·
Got all the issues resolved. Hooked the horn up, for some reason it didn't sound off. Thought it may have been faulty so i hooked it up to my plate light wires, it worked. Hooked it back up to the horn switch and like a miracle, it worked. Now just need to wait until wednesday for my new tires to be installed and it'll be completely ready to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.