Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any reason to spray gelcoat on fiberglass parts after bodywork and before paint? I've been working on a fairing with an existing gelcoat, but have had to do a lot of cutting and other modifications to get it to fit. Is there any reason to spray on gelcoat prior to standard bodywork with lightweight filler, filler primer, and paint? I'd assume it'll help smooth out the surface requiring less filler and bodywork to hide the weave, but don't want to take the extra step if not necessary. I do have a quart of gelcoat handy for another project, so no additional project costs.

part in question:

Thanks!

·
V4's FTW
10,496 Posts
No. Gelcoat is used when molding parts.

Do your filler work, then shoot a few liberal coats of filler prime. Sand the filler prime back with 600 wet then shoot your sealer/color/clear. Works great for me every time.

·
Oiler Boilereerer...er(s)
1,562 Posts
No. Gelcoat is used when molding parts.

Do your filler work, then shoot a few liberal coats of filler prime. Sand the filler prime back with 600 wet then shoot your sealer/color/clear. Works great for me every time.
What he said. Gelcoat is for molding, no need. Just put all the glass and resin you think you need, sand, fill, prime, paint and clear.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts