Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i am wanting to start a new fiberlgass project of my own. i hope to build a rear cowl to replace my passanger seat.

first things first, here is my bike as of now...

this is the fiberglass cowl that i want to build:

firsd things first, i was wondering where the heck i could find urethane foam from. can i get it at a store such as lowes or home depot?

i have some other issues, but i cant remeber them right now.

give me any helpful information if you can! thanks!

·
Build It Ride It Live It
10,684 Posts
Another option is the expanding foam in a can. It's about $5 a can. Find a cardoard box a little bigger then what you want the size to be and line it with a plastic bag. Fill it up with foam and once it's cured you can shape it from there.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys...

the more i think about it tho, i like this look a litle bit better ;)

i dont know what im gonna do yet. lol

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,640 Posts
is that a CX??? twin. shaft drive. thats my guess.

cool bike. first one i've seen in the fightering process...aside from one who someone uses as a stuntbike.

super clean too man WOW!!!

WELCOME TO THE SITE FRIDGE!

·
Perpetual Project
3,695 Posts
Either the bobtial or the cowl looks good to me man, the next thing I'd reccomend is a front end swap, that front just looks all wrong with where you're going with the bike. Kudos for an un-orthodox project though man!

·
British Bloke in Canada
2,146 Posts
you know what us brits used to call the CX500.....the Maggot, basicly cause most of them were filthy cause they were a dispacth riders work horse.
they made a turbo version the 650 turbo....the plastic maggot.

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
fat_fridge said:
i have some other issues, but i cant remeber them right now.

lol, yeah, i have that problem too :D

cool project you got going. can't say i've ever seen anyone 'fighter a cx either.

oh, and i think i have some video somewhere of that cx stunt bike, i'll have to dig thru my old backup disks and see if i can find it. as i remember, it was a temporary thing b/c the guy's regular stunt bike was having some problems.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks a bunch for the imput guys, yeah it is an 1982 honda gl500 interstate. believe it or not, it started out as a full-fairing touring bike of my dads, he passed it on to me and i incorporated my own taste to it. i actually started the build of my tail today, i figued im going to just chop the tail and go from there...

i am going to try a diff front end, might end up lowering it a bit, but i did hear that old cbr forks fit right on the cx and gls.

anyways..
enjoy the pics.

i started a mock-up today of where im going to mount the taillight assembly. i made a bracket to mount it, and i plan to fiberglasss around the open area. all i need to do now is hack that subframe off. :knucks:

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,640 Posts
Scrapyard said:
A CX500 Stunt Bike!? Are you serious? This I gota see...
i cant find the post right now. but i will. and i'll post a new thread for ya. its good shit.

·
Perpetual Project
3,695 Posts
A shoebox may make for a smaller taillight:D

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
try dropping the fork tubes through the tripples an inch or two and dropping the headlight bown further. that will make the bike look way better. but othere than that it will be a neat project.

·
Fresh outta Fighter camp!
357 Posts
As far as the foam goes, not sure what kind of foams can be used to make templates/molds. But we use LARGE blue foam billets at work when we build docks for customers. It comes in 9 foot sections, that I believe are 12"x20". If this could be used, its not that expensive, and you would have a lot to work with. They cost roughly $80 each where we get them.

·
Fresh outta Fighter camp!
357 Posts

·
65 Posts
Im using 2" thick pink foam insulation board that I laminate together. This is the cheap way of doing it. ie I only spent about $50 at the depot to create the tail. It is also very easy to work with.

2x 2"x2'x8' sheets of pink foam $30
1x can of 3M super 77 $10
2x quart of DAP spackle(goes on pink dries white) $10
100 grit sand paper

I know they make a yellow foam for professional work. I think you can even machine it. But the shit is super expensive and the dust is corrosive.

I havent got to the fiber layup but all the pics of the mold are on my buildoff thread.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks for the imput guys. yeah, i was waiting to lower my front end a bit. drop it about an inch or two, and lower the flyscreen a tad bit.

i decided to get that expanding foam in a can, picked up one can for about 6 bucks, but i need another can i think. I was going to get the big pink sheet and i think i should have. Im going to actually start shaping the foam tommorow after school so i will post pictures later in the night of the progress. thanks fro your help!

p.s. and there is nothing wrong with the shoebox light! i am cheap haha

1 - 20 of 46 Posts