Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
is not your fucking bro
7,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im making my fiberglass tail section and fibering onto my front fender. how hard would it be to fiber a shell over my bandit tank so i can do crazy fins on it . and how would i secure it. 3m tape all over ? 2 part epoxy ?

·
Perpetual Project
3,695 Posts
It can stick to bare metal, but with the vibrations of a bike it wouldn't surprise me if you have some seperation. I would at least wrap it under the lip on the edge of the tank.

·
Registered
854 Posts

·
Ebay PosterChild
981 Posts
i have no idea how a abs plastic mold even happens. could you give a quick explain ?

its a home made box with a metal platform with pin holes in the platform and it sucks the air from the top to the bottom and you use a heat lamp to form or mold the plastic i've used milk jugs and walmart bags before and they work just fine or you can get the abs powder or what ever they call it

·
90 Posts
its a home made box with a metal platform with pin holes in the platform and it sucks the air from the top to the bottom and you use a heat lamp to form or mold the plastic i've used milk jugs and walmart bags before and they work just fine or you can get the abs powder or what ever they call it
Wow! How about a complete write up in the DYI section. This sounds very interesting.

·
Registered
69 Posts
funny you posted that, i've ben researching and designing my own vacuum molder for the past 4-5 days now. I think I read somewhere some buys use some kind of release ajent like resein or something though. Great how to!

·
Registered
69 Posts
ya know, im not sure yet, I still need to research more to find out what kind of resin they were talking about. But it makes sence there should be some kind of release ajent.

·
98 Posts
funny you posted that, i've ben researching and designing my own vacuum molder for the past 4-5 days now. I think I read somewhere some buys use some kind of release ajent like resein or something though. Great how to!
For vacuum forming all sorts of plastics on all sorts of different plugs (i've used plastic, foam, painted, primered, bondo-ed, unpainted, etc) the best and simplest "release agent" i've found is baby powder. This is what most people use, and it works great. You want to put on a nice dusting, I usually put a bunch on and then brush the excess off by hand. This will keep the hot plastic from sticking to the plug - especially if your forming over plastic!

·
All star !!!
6,714 Posts
I would think baby powder would not be good to use for fiberglassing resins...as I would have to think it would stick to the resin...which might be Ok for a painted part...but not if doing CF and want a clear, high shine finish.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.