Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so I peruse a couple other fighter sites for ideas and stuff. well, the more I look at european sites the more I notice that in europe the fighter crowd seems to be allot like the harley crowd is here. and that would be (sadly) middle age white dudes who hold a proffesional level job just throwing some money around trying to recover some of there youth. and frankly, it makes me kinda nervous. sure there are exceptions, but if you want an example go to one of the european fighter boards and check out the mug shots forum (streetfighter-mcc.co.uk being the chief example).

whereas here in the states most of the fighter guys I know are pretty young motorcycle enthusiasts who find that it is just the most logical proggression in getting the most streetable use out of there bikes.

anybody else notice this? or am I just a bit weird

(was at a harly shop today, maybe the stench is stuck in my brain)

·
is not your fucking bro
7,216 Posts
ive seen that. and all the old german fighters have mohawks and wear leather vest with "2fast4law". maybe because thier are not any harley dealers in those parts. old guys got to get thier rocks off somewhere.

·
Interesting post dudes.

I don't think it's an age issue about streetfighters though, more an 'attitude' one to be honest.

I mean like if I buy a hypermotard I am identifying with that school of thought, but in reality I'm not really a super motard sportsman, just a wannabe who adopts that style.

Same goes for race replica buyers, but you tend to see more of them because they have held sway in the market place for around ten years.

With 'fighters, motorcycling is coming back to what it always was, that is, basic functional machinery with no frills.

Fully enclosed/faired machines were almost unknown around 20 years ago other than fancy land speed record stuff.

So whatever you think or do, always remember your basically re-inventing the wheel out of modern techno advanced parts.

The older guys into this are not always trying to make a statement or hold onto lost youth. They are what "you" will be if you manage to get through the induction phase unscathed. ;)

·
746 Posts
Iv also noticed that some euro-fighters are getting totally stupid with bling and chrome and fat tires and useless shit ala the American "Chopper"

·
the Gixxer is BACK!
1,425 Posts
:nuts::mad::angry:I kinda take offence to this....so you're trying to say only young people can be streetfighters? what if when we were younger we couldn't afford a bike and now we can and really enjoy the fighter look? Is that what you'd call a "middle age white dudes who hold a professional level job just throwing some money around trying to recover some of there youth.".....that sir is a very bold statement on your part and kinda pisses me off. Who are you to judge me on my age and vehicle? Just because the person is old they should ride a harley???? or better yet a BMW???? Wow dude....really narrow minded on your part.... And what do you think about the punk 19yo with a viper? or maybe a corvette?

BTW...I'm 28, have a professional job, own a condo, a jeep, and a fighter...but I guess I'm trying to recover some lost youth and throwing my money around....:nuts::

Your post is telling me that only young people can drive fighters??? I think we should be happy that an older crowd has encompassed the fighter look and can pass it along to a younger generation, after all thats how a lot of things got started. Or are you scared that the younger crowd will think its no longer "cool" and will look at fighters like a lot of the sportbike crowd look at Harleys? thats truly not someone I want to be involved with to be honest. I have respect for all things on two wheels, from harleys to scooters, and yes I do the wave to them, even if they don't wave back. We're all in the same boat if you think about it.....

Was it not the Cafe racer of yesteryear that got the fighter scene started? And I highly doubt it was 19-20yo people doing it, it was an older crowd.....And by and older crowd I mean the 25+ range.

maybe you should explain this statement so I don't look at your posts with disgust from now on:

I notice that in europe the fighter crowd seems to be allot like the harley crowd is here. and that would be (sadly) middle age white dudes who hold a proffesional level job just throwing some money around trying to recover some of there youth. and frankly, it makes me kinda nervous.

·
TLS Fight Time
730 Posts
Those euro fighters that look like tarted up easter eggs have nothing to do with age, those crackers had no taste when they 20 or 30 or 40. And any biker with a vest just remind's me of the Village poeple(gay)

·
Urban Guerilla
404 Posts
(snip)

BTW...I'm 28, have a professional job, own a condo, a jeep, and a fighter...but I guess I'm trying to recover some lost youth and throwing my money around....:nuts::

(snip)
Dude, if by middle-aged he meant 28 and up, then I'm really as old as I feel (I'm really only 31, but going on 40). I'm pretty sure middle-aged means, at the youngest, into the 40s. Folks in their early 30s and younger are part of the "young crowd" for most people.

As for who is into what and at what age, I really couldn't care less. Just remember, one of the baddest and most badass of street riders, and a rider of 'fighters, is Europe's own Ghost Rider.

And he ain't no spring chicken.

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
the streetfighter form is a byproduct of it's function, plain and simple. (in my eyes) it's SUPPOSED to be a stripped down, raw, bare bones bike. no frills, just what you need to go, stop, and turn as quickly as possible. the rest of the crap is un-necessary, imo.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
+1.

i wouldnt know enough to be able to judge them (not that i want to).

so wut do you think that only bums should ride streetfighters cuz theyre poor, and the guys with money should all ride bolt-on display cases of fully dressed bikes?? hahaha

·
is not your fucking bro
7,216 Posts
i dont think the european fighterers are professional guys at all. more like the hells angels i guess.

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:nuts::mad::angry:I kinda take offence to this....so you're trying to say only young people can be streetfighters? what if when we were younger we couldn't afford a bike and now we can and really enjoy the fighter look? Is that what you'd call a "middle age white dudes who hold a professional level job just throwing some money around trying to recover some of there youth.".....that sir is a very bold statement on your part and kinda pisses me off. Who are you to judge me on my age and vehicle? Just because the person is old they should ride a harley???? or better yet a BMW???? Wow dude....really narrow minded on your part.... And what do you think about the punk 19yo with a viper? or maybe a corvette?

Your post is telling me that only young people can drive fighters??? I think we should be happy that an older crowd has encompassed the fighter look and can pass it along to a younger generation, after all thats how a lot of things got started. Or are you scared that the younger crowd will think its no longer "cool" and will look at fighters like a lot of the sportbike crowd look at Harleys? thats truly not someone I want to be involved with to be honest. I have respect for all things on two wheels, from harleys to scooters, and yes I do the wave to them, even if they don't wave back. We're all in the same boat if you think about it.....

Was it not the Cafe racer of yesteryear that got the fighter scene started? And I highly doubt it was 19-20yo people doing it, it was an older crowd.....And by and older crowd I mean the 25+ range.

maybe you should explain this statement so I don't look at your posts with disgust from now on:

I'm not trying to offend you. and I appologise if I have. I am not too much younger than you and I have a family, and a proffesional level job. I am not saying that it is a bad thing I am simply noting that there seams to be a difference in the type of people who enjoy riding/building fighters between the US and europe. I am in no way insulting the people who ride them. in fact, I would rather see the "middle age white dudes" riding a fighter than a harley. and no, 28 is not middle age.

maybe it is just on the board that I used as an example. I'm serious, go take a look at the mug shots forum on streetfighters-mcc.

I make no correlation between your age and your ride. I saw a 59 year old guy on an rc51 absolutly shredding it at a track day once. thats cool as hell. I know a guy that is 19 years old and builds some sick ass hardtail choppers, thats cool as hell too.

what I DO have a slight problem with, and this has almost nothing to do with the subject of my original post, is the harley crowd in my area that never owned a motorcycle in there life until they decided to buy a $20,000 harley for there 48th birthday and put 200 miles a year on and call themselves motorcyclist. that would be like calling me a professional road racer.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I think I see your point, altough I know next to nothing about the people that ride Euro fighters. But I do know that within the Harley scene you have 2 camps from what I see. The RUBs that write out a check for everything and call themselves motorcyclists. Then you got guys like one of my co-workers that customize their harleys themselves, fabricating their own parts, doing their own wrenching, ride all the time, etc. To me thats what the StreetFighter scene is all about ... not necessarly how a bike looks but how it was put together and why, form following function. And the people that ride/own those kinds of bikes will have similar attitudes just as people that just throw money at their bikes for blings sake will also have similar attitudes.

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
I think I see your point, altough I know next to nothing about the people that ride Euro fighters. But I do know that within the Harley scene you have 2 camps from what I see. The RUBs that write out a check for everything and call themselves motorcyclists. Then you got guys like one of my co-workers that customize their harleys themselves, fabricating their own parts, doing their own wrenching, ride all the time, etc. To me thats what the StreetFighter scene is all about ... not necessarly how a bike looks but how it was put together and why, form following function. And the people that ride/own those kinds of bikes will have similar attitudes just as people that just throw money at their bikes for blings sake will also have similar attitudes.
well put, and i agree completely. there's major differences in attitude between people who just stroke checks, and people who put in the time and effort to do it themselves.

i've also noticed, amungst both the fighter crowd, and the chopper/harley crowd, that the guys/girls that do it themselves seem to be alot more humble about it, usually. letting thier work speak for itself, not bragging about how much money they have in it. hell, the only bragging i like to hear is how much money ISN'T in a build! home grown ingenuity gets a long way with me.

·
The Philosopher King
296 Posts
The big difference I see between Euro and North American is just what is perceived as cool…. The black cut up leather with chains, piercings, and skulls dominate Euro streetfighter culture which is what North Americans associate with Hells Angels and el Diablo motorcycle clubs which predominantly ride….any one…Harleys!!

I won’t even get into the yuppie culture which is attached to all forms of motorcycling (EVRY GROUP HAS YUPPIES). In Vancouver for example we have a large group of young teenage Asian’s that ride brand new Ducati’s all with matching gear and almost as much chrome as a Harley Sportster. You take the good with the bad

·
Build It Ride It Live It
10,684 Posts
Flint, I've noticed a similar asspect of the older, sutto HD looking guys over in Europe. What you have to remember is Jap bikes are what they grew up with. Just like over here the "older crowd" remembers HD from their hay day. And like here, some guys like the tarted up bling machine and some guys are going more for the traditional, lean and clean look. It's a cross section of a genre. You get it in everything. There is a segment of the scene that has some American influence. We do have that effect on the world. Wether it be bikes, cars, fasion, music, etc... Curse of being a super power for so long. The world looks to us for the next big thing. Although, a lot of the style is their own. And honestly, The fat tire thing is a bit more Euro then you might think. But we all play off each other to come up with the next trend. Fighters are deffinatly not American, but we are trying to coin our own style. The fun part is trying to stand out in a crowd of followers.

·
The Philosopher King
296 Posts
There is a segment of the scene that has some American influence. We do have that effect on the world. Wether it be bikes, cars, fasion, music, etc... Curse of being a super power for so long. The world looks to us for the next big thing.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH............BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!!!!!!!

ohh Americans...(*sigh*) :puke:

·
Build It Ride It Live It
10,684 Posts
Deny it if you want, but look around at stupid shit like Pop music, MTV, Harley Davidson, McDonalds, etc. How much does a pair of Levi's go for over there? I've had people on the street offer to buy the pants off my ass while I was walking around town.

I'm not saying we are the end all of being. Not by a long shot, but there is a lot of American flavor that trickles across the pond.

·
Life's Short, Stunt it!
737 Posts
thats very true...and if you look at the issue of streetfighters magazine you'll see a full faired blinged out roaring toyz bike... in STREETFIGHTERS!!! i was just like wtf? and they referred to it as the new thing thats starting to catch on. its like streetfighters over here, in that streetfighters are starting to get more and more popular and over there our bling machines are gtting popular. everyone is just looking for somethin new and different.
but now canada... they dont really have anything to offer. lol.... jk guys

·
The Philosopher King
296 Posts
I am Canadian, no pond, and INVINCEIBLE73 all I had to offer your girl was some great Canadian Bacon last night and she was thrilled :0

American influence is a very interesting topic, if you are interested I can foreword you several of my undergrad thesis’. A sphere of influence does exist, but don’t kid your self just because there is a McDonald’s in Bangkok does not illustrate the far reaching touch of American culture because that McDonalds isn’t like the one in Texas the food on the menu isn’t even the same

Furthermore you could analyze what exactly you feel dictates your culture; your list of fashion and food is not actually controlled by the American citizenry it is controlled by media. Streetfighter Magazine for example; you don’t work for it so have no input in what goes in that magazine… therefore you can conclude that for some streetfighting in the US is controlled by streetfighter magazine not the citizenry actually involved in that group… getting the picture?

That aside I will try to show another quick example:
If you were to ask someone from China about their culture they may described hard work
If you were to ask someone from Russia they may describe a strong soul
If you ask a Canadian they may say multi-culturalism
If I asked you would you tell me about Wal-Mart and MacDonald’s??

As much culture trickles into the US as trickles out…It’s a globalized world thanks to technology and free trade, I hope you don’t think Japanese food was an American cuisine creation?

The reason why I laugh is that your comment suggests that you view the entire world as waiting with baited breath to hear what Paris Hilton thinks is hot so we can all go out and copy her and that couldn’t be further from the truth.

Also don’t think I don’t like Americans…for the most part I do, but if you think your “Superpower” status drives your culture, America is in more trouble than I thought.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts