Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
addict
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i had to replace the front master on my brothers yzf600 and now i have a basically empty braking system that is giving me hell trying to bleed it and everything ive looked up says to use a vacuum bleeder

Ive been trying to just gravity bleed them but im not getting any pressure on the lever and there isnt any more air coming out of the bleeder

any tips, hints, suggestions?

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
use a vacuum bleeder

That's your ideal answer. However I've had luck in the past hanging the calipers above the master and bleeding that way. Basically any method where you're pumping the brake fluid against gravity should work reasonably well.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
The Hell You Say!!
2,956 Posts
I pulled the lines off of the calipers and lifted them above the master. Use your thumb and fingers to create pressure as you release the lever. I got a good firm lever in about 5 min

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
thanx blensen ill try hanging the calipers. but if they arent on the rotors wouldnt it squeeze the pads in and make it near impossible to get back on
When I did it I stuck the handle bit of a wrench or some other piece of metal between the pads so it held the gap.

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
How did you get them back on without getting air in the lines

I'm guessing that wasn't directed at me. You'll have some air at the end of the lines, but then you should be able to use the bleeders on the calipers. The tough part is initially getting the system filled. Once you've actually got fluid through you should be able to bleed it.

G

·
I've never had a problem with bleeding brakes & never used a vac bleeder or pressure bleeder either theres no need

Remove front brake lever, fill pot with fluid, push piston with a short bar & hold while opening bleed nipple on caliper, close bleed nipple & release piston, repeat 2 or 3 times then replace lever & bleed as normal 5 minutes should give you good brakes, the reason for this is the brake lever most times will stop the piston moving fully so you are not getting the full effect & cant build pressure up, a few pumps doing it my way will give you enough pressure to continue as normal
Info above aquired from a lockheed brake design engineer 20 years ago & has never failed me yet

·
Registered
850 Posts
Make sure you get the air out of the top of the line by bleeding from the top banjo bolt. Thats normally where the air gets trapped.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts