Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well...I signed up on here quite a while ago but hadn't been back to check in. Went through my favorites today and went "oh crap, I haven't been there in a while". I'm a friend of BritJoe in Calgary, my GSXR (2000) is being stored by him right now. I also have a 1989 GSXR750 frame (traded it to Joe for a Carbon Fiber bellypan) that will eventually get a Turbo or Nitrous 1216cc propulsion system. The current project is a 1995 Kawasaki ZX6E, a wierd start, I know...but I got it for a song and thought it was ugly :D I work in a bike shop (www.universalcycle.ca). Used to be in Parts and Accessories but I finally got to come up to school and I am doing my Motorcycle Mechanic Certificate in lovely Fairview, Alberta. I plan on opening my own shop dealing with custom sportbikes and streetfighters, doing everything from custom fabrication, to chrome, anodizing, powdercoating, etc. But for now, I'm just a mechanic who has a passion for motorcycles and what they can be...not what they're sold as.

I attached a couple pics...my 2000 GSXR750, and my Ninja

PS. The ninja has since had the subframe TIG'd on, all bodywork painted flat black (with chalkboard paint, so I can draw flames on and such :D), and a few other little trinkets....

Attachments

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The mechanic course is awesome...it's a lot of fun. Right now we are working on some bikes that belong to a riding school...cheap work for them and we don't have to worry as much about pretty paint lol. That said, we have almost 200 bikes on campus donated by Suzuki and Harley. The Harley's are for the Harley specific course, we don't touch them much...but it's nice having 20-odd GSXRs and Busa's to play with!!! Also, if you make arrangements with the instructors, you can bring your own bike up (my Ninja is here). Then you can work on it in class. Mine has recieved tires and brakes so far, and will be getting new fork seals and steering stem bearings next month. The town we're in is pretty far from home (at least an hour from anything resembling a city), but it's nice to be away from the distractions. I'm in a campus apartment and from what I've seen, its the best deal for housing. Townhouses are nice, but they're more money and the rooms are way smaller...and they're not any quieter, that's where most of the partying happens.

Here's the link to the course...it's not the greatest link but it's okay. For further information, maybe send an email to one of our instructors, Brad Chorney ([email protected]) or Dan Bruce ([email protected]).
http://www.nait.ca/programs/PEM/

The chick was a model at a car show I entered...Crystal Lo. I have some better pics of here somewhere as well lol.
http://www.crystallo.info/

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,722 Posts
good shit man. its good to see theres programs out ther besides MMI that arent just out to make you into a poor mofukka!

so do you feel like you are learning a lot??

what WAS your skill level when you enered the school vs. what it is now??

do they teach you real involved and technical stuff or is it like MMI and they only teach you the "basic mechanical principles involved in motorcycles" ???

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,722 Posts
The Green Lantern said:
your my new best friend,your in adam's out(sorry buddy):rock: thanks dude your a gentleman and a scolar

fine fine! i see how it is. :mad:

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's better than MMI. MMI was like $25,000...this was $4000 lol. It's a 4 year apprenticeship, so I do this (28 weeks), come out as second year, and go to work. Work for "X" hours and go back for 6 weeks, etc. I was pretty mechanical all along, by far the most knowledgeable person in my class (if I can say that modestly and without sounding like an ass). In our first year we do everything from wheels/tires/bearings, to 2 stroke rebuilds, 4 stroke tuneups. Seconds year gets into cylinder head rebuild jobs and such. Third year gets to cylinder boring etc. There are an amazing amount of places all over the world wanting Canadian apprentices. They feel we are the most qualified (from what I hear). I've had offers in Australia, Sweden, Britain, Mexico, and at several shops in the US...and I've only been here 6 weeks!

It does get pretty technical...which I love. Tight specs, micrometers, etc...I love how precise it all is. I can't wait for the day when I can start building my 7/11 motor. We have also done wheel lacing and truing...which is actually a lot of fun.

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We actually do a bit of welding. They teach us oxyactelyne for stubborn fasteners and such. I did night courses last year and got my MIG/TIG level 1 certificates from SAIT (a local technology institute). That was a lot of fun!!

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,722 Posts
LUCKIES!!!

ive liked doing the small amount of welding that i have done. i'd probably just go nuts if i was good at it. and build me a custom chassis!

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,722 Posts
The Green Lantern said:
you can have my job,its shitty allways cold or wet never fun,dirty as hell

no no. i didnt say i wanted it to be my job...i wanted it to be a pasttime..y'know one of my hobbies!

not my job. then its not fun.

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well...I did my fork seals today, steering stem bearings go in tomorrow and I should be able to yank off my swingarm. We got the bead blaster going and I got some paint...... :D So if I get some time I'm gonna strip and paint the subframe...and the fork lowers. It's awesome!! HAHAHA....this bike is gonna be brand new when it's done! I'm psyched! It's gonna actually need nice paint when I'm done :( lol

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Look at this awesome n00b thread, before there were rules and before there was thousands of members to whore it up!

Spyder, Adam, and Greeny---post whore's OLD SKOOL!!!

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
Yup, pretty awesome intro. Too bad you still aint got shit to show for that gixxer yet.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts