Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Nice. Do you have a thread for ur build?

·
HipsterKillerGarage
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It'll be together soon enough. lol This is a LOT of welding and machining to make this go the way I want it to.

I've got the arm mounts fabbed now, and they mock up perfectly. Just need needle bearings and dust caps for the swingarm and then I can weld them in and call the rear end mounted.... that is, as soon as I get a bracked made up and a Ducati 750/900SS rear shock to mount. ;)

·
HipsterKillerGarage
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DrunkNun- Nopers man, no thread. My progress has been really erratic as I have a newborn son who was born with Congenital Heart Disease, so I've been swamped.

I'll try to get a good update and photos soon enough though.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Sorry to hear about your son bro.

·
HipsterKillerGarage
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
THanks. It's all good though. He had open heart suregey for 2 of the 3 conditions at just under 2 weeks old and he's a smily little guy now at 3.5 mos.

Has to get a catheterization on his aortic valve next month, but that's an overnight procedure.

·
HipsterKillerGarage
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Surely:

FRONT END:

2002 HSXR 600 forks, calipers, etc. Complete swap. Running this 3.5x17 Excel Takagao rim with heavy duty spokes, Triumph Speed Triple 6 bolt rotors and a 120 front tire (Michelin Pilot Power). Rim and hub/adapters will be powdercoated black, spokes will get polihed.

CHASSIS:

1977 Kawasaki KZ650B with ALL braking and tabs removed. Regusseted and custom motor mounts, custom swingarm mount. The frame will be welded up soon, smoothed over, and powdercoated a nice cherry red color.

ENGINE:

1986 GSXR 750 air/oil cooled. Stock motor. No need to try to bend the frame with MORE power. haha It's getting sandblasted, repainted, and then polished fin edges and covers with SS bolts. Custom exhaust.

REAR END:

2003-2005 Yamaha R6 swingarm. 1977 Kawasaki KZ1000 single disc rear hub with 40 heavy duty spokes running to a 5.5x17" Takagaso rim. Black rim/hub with polished up spokes and drive gear. 170 rear tire, Michelin Pilot Road. Shock of choice will be a Ducati 750/900SS since I can fab a bracket to weld to the arm and not have to fuck with linkage assemblies.

TANK:

Was going to use a 83 GS tank, but now I got a 81 GPz1100 tank that I have been drooling over for some time, so I'll run that instead. I've got it shaved now with no emblems. Will get black paint with good clearcoat, and then when I get that finished I'll goldleaf some stuff on it.

TAIL PIECE:

Going to go with an Airtech seat (We have an account through work). Standard "Boxed Cafe Seat, Long" because it's wide, square, and will fit the tanks profile. I'll clean that up, paint it black, and do some goldleaf on that too.

ELECTRICAL:

Building my own harness using the stock plugs and connectors. New wire is better than 20 year old wire. Speedo/Tach is the Acewell 2800 kit. Thinking I *may* sink some MIG lights back in the forks. It's going to be more of a cafe bike than anything else, but the look of having no lamps on the front is kinda sexy in my opinion.

OTHER:

There will be other things accented with red to match the frame.... brake lines, stuff like that.

The overall posture of the bike will be more cafe than streetfighter. I've decided to wait to pick up a sportbike to streetfighter instead.

·
Naked from the waste down
1,334 Posts
mpls|cafe|racer said:
Surely:

FRONT END:

2002 HSXR 600 forks, calipers, etc. Complete swap. Running this 3.5x17 Excel Takagao rim with heavy duty spokes, Triumph Speed Triple 6 bolt rotors and a 120 front tire (Michelin Pilot Power). Rim and hub/adapters will be powdercoated black, spokes will get polihed.

CHASSIS:

1977 Kawasaki KZ650B with ALL braking and tabs removed. Regusseted and custom motor mounts, custom swingarm mount. The frame will be welded up soon, smoothed over, and powdercoated a nice cherry red color.

ENGINE:

1986 GSXR 750 air/oil cooled. Stock motor. No need to try to bend the frame with MORE power. haha It's getting sandblasted, repainted, and then polished fin edges and covers with SS bolts. Custom exhaust.

REAR END:

2003-2005 Yamaha R6 swingarm. 1977 Kawasaki KZ1000 single disc rear hub with 40 heavy duty spokes running to a 5.5x17" Takagaso rim. Black rim/hub with polished up spokes and drive gear. 170 rear tire, Michelin Pilot Road. Shock of choice will be a Ducati 750/900SS since I can fab a bracket to weld to the arm and not have to fuck with linkage assemblies.

TANK:

Was going to use a 83 GS tank, but now I got a 81 GPz1100 tank that I have been drooling over for some time, so I'll run that instead. I've got it shaved now with no emblems. Will get black paint with good clearcoat, and then when I get that finished I'll goldleaf some stuff on it.

TAIL PIECE:

Going to go with an Airtech seat (We have an account through work). Standard "Boxed Cafe Seat, Long" because it's wide, square, and will fit the tanks profile. I'll clean that up, paint it black, and do some goldleaf on that too.

ELECTRICAL:

Building my own harness using the stock plugs and connectors. New wire is better than 20 year old wire. Speedo/Tach is the Acewell 2800 kit. Thinking I *may* sink some MIG lights back in the forks. It's going to be more of a cafe bike than anything else, but the look of having no lamps on the front is kinda sexy in my opinion.

OTHER:

There will be other things accented with red to match the frame.... brake lines, stuff like that.

The overall posture of the bike will be more cafe than streetfighter. I've decided to wait to pick up a sportbike to streetfighter instead.

Sounds amazing man. Can't wait to see it progress.

·
HipsterKillerGarage
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
shift1313 said:
looking good man, you forgot to mention how much work went into making the front wheel work, wasnt it 3 hubs sacrificed:)

Good luck with the son, im sure thats scary. My cousins kid went through a similar thing a few years back and hes a tank now.
Uhm, no... it was no hubs sacrificed.

The way I've done it didn't require me to cut any hubs apart at all. ;)

All I did was pull my KZ hub apart, mate some custom parts to it, and bolted the adapters up.

·
17 Posts
mpls|cafe|racer said:
THanks. It's all good though. He had open heart suregey for 2 of the 3 conditions at just under 2 weeks old and he's a smily little guy now at 3.5 mos.

Has to get a catheterization on his aortic valve next month, but that's an overnight procedure.
WOW i had a cath when i was 6 (20 yrs. ago), and i was in for a whole week. At that time, 6 was the youngest they would do it. My best to you and the little guy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.