Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
WannaBe
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's just say someone cut off their entire subframe which holds the upper shock mount and wanted to build an entirely new upper mount. How would one go about finding the location of where it should be if they had no idea where the factory one was originally

I've looked all over the net for articles or tutorials on how to find the right mounting location, but I've yet to come across anything other than Car/Truck stuff.

I have a YZF600R with this type of leverage setup:

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
The problem is that you're asking for a simple answer to a complex question. Without knowing where the shock mount originally was, you're basically going to have to redesign the rear suspension using all the components you already have as constraints.

Alternatively, find someone else with a YZF600R and have them tell you the exact location of the original mount.

·
WannaBe
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The problem is that you're asking for a simple answer to a complex question. Without knowing where the shock mount originally was, you're basically going to have to redesign the rear suspension using all the components you already have as constraints.

Alternatively, find someone else with a YZF600R and have them tell you the exact location of the original mount.
Yes, but I guess the question is how would you determine this if you're building from scratch? I only need to find the upper mount location to build it and I see a lot of build where guys are just throwing together a shock mount and I have no idea where they're getting their spacing from. I understand the angle thing, but I have no idea how one would determine the length from the lower to the upper mounts if you just had some random shock.

Does that make sense?

Either way, I guess I'll go find the correct spacing on another bike, but I'd still like to know (if someone knows) where I can find info on how to correctly do this should I want to do custom shocks (all mounts) sometimes.

Thanks for reply!

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
Frankly a lot of guys are going with whatever looks close enough. To really know where to put the shock you'll have to determine whether or not the shock valving is meant for a progressive, flat, or regressive shock rate, and what that rate is. You'll then have to determine the location of the lower mount in absolute coordinates as the wheel moves through it's travel. You should be able to back your way into the location of the shock then by looking at the shock rate and theoretical compression as a function of wheel travel.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
Would you happen to have a link to some documentation on that? I can understand technical stuff (it's my job), I just can't seem to locate the information.. My google skills are apparently weak.
I've never done it because I've never needed to. I'd say your best resource here is going to be a book on suspension design. Maybe look into the stuff Tony Foale wrote.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.