Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 197 Posts

·
"More than meets the eye"
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had the Firestorm for 2 years now...bought her without any fairing and decided then I would not go back to original.

I did play around with the looks a bit in the mean time and got to what you see here:

A few months ago the engine ran big-end bearings...after some saving and some searching I managed to find a replacement crank...but now I am still in need of bearings and gaskets.

Due to a few other miscellaneous parts also needing replacement like fork seals and sprockets and so on, I decided that while she's stripped down I will take the chance to also build her into a more respectable streetfighter. Not that I was unhappy with the looks at all.

The budget will be a fairly lowish budget as I will be doing it on the little bit of money left over after all the bills have been paid every month...and any additional money I might get from the odd private job.

Some plans are:
A different headlight setup
Possibly a modified front fender
Possibly a matching pair of brake and clutch master-cylinders (maybe off a Blackbird)
Modified tank (have a spare tank with small dent)
Possibly a single radiator
Powder coated frame and swingarm
Underseat exhaust
Custom tail piece and tail lights on the stock sub-frame with the full-size seat
Hopefully a VFR 750/800 SSSA

·
Administrator
5,256 Posts

·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sub'd.

If you're on a budget the SSSA might be a while off but these links are pretty useful for when you get around to it:

http://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...icle-2-single-sided-swingarm-conversion-9874/

http://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ngle-sided-swingarm-sss-conversion-how-14544/

I'm in the figuring-out stages myself right now. :D
Thanks for those links!

Yeah for now SSSA won't be a priority at all...unless I come across a real bargain in terms of the relevant parts...keeping my eyes open for a local VFR that's stripping for spares...with exchange rates it isn't viable to import from the US or the UK

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
What's up with the brake cylinder on it now?

You can't use blackbird it's a 1/2" bore and you need 14mm. For Honda parts maybe Cb1300 should be good. Otherwise yam parts exist easier such as xj600s. Or just stay with what you have it works and is a low priority.

·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nothing wrong with the current brake and clutch cylinders...it is just that Honda overlooked to match them. And when the handle bars are so naked it stands out. But you're right...it is a lower priority thing at the moment...that can be changed a little later on too.

·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I might have found a real bargain on a SSSA off a VFR800...but shipping might kill it a bit as it's from Australia...another local guy is getting some front-end parts for his VFR from the same seller so we'll be sharing the shipping...he's currently looking for space in a container which will help with the shipping cost.

Other than that I have been playing on SolidWorks and designed the underseat exhaust and tail-light setup...please remember front of the sub-frame in my rendering isn't accurate at all...

What do you guys think:

·
100 Posts
I like where you're going, but I'd fear that assembly would look so flat/wide it'd be hard to make a tail that went around it that looked nice and small. But then again, You probably have an idea on the tail already that'll look sick. I like the old school tail lights.

Mad respect on the solidworks skills. I've been wanting to pick that up forever.

·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know exactly what you mean and know that it might look very wide. At this stage the way the lights sit is the main cause of that. I might move them forward a bit to get a more rounded/triangular shape to the tail especially when viewed from above. So I want to build the tailpiece to give the lights a fairly deep frenched look.

Thanks for the compliments...I must admit I am by no means a pro on solidworks yet.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okey...so I've been busy with Solidworks some more....here is a more completed sub-frame...

Yeah I know it isn't very thin and slim...but this is just my first take on it...it's not yet cast in stone...

What makes it difficult to get it thin and slim is where the exhausts sit in relation to the seat...unfortunately I have to use the stock seat at this stage.

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
The three long skinny pipes mean a few things. First is extra complications. Second is more noise as you don't have the volume for much packing at all - think about how loud these bikes are on two regular full size race cans then multiply by a lot. You might as well start it without a silencer on for a preview. Third is more complication, seriously the link section is going to be a bastard. Find titanium's triumph build on here and ask yourself if you have his level of skill and patience.

Personally I'd be looking for an original or aftermarket sprint 1050 setup and see what could be done with it. Or even something more simple yet more effective like a single outlet RR underseat box. Depends how much you like your ears bleeding on a longer trip.

Anyway three pipes under the seat suggests triple. It's a characteristic of many newer triumphs. Why not go with twins like a Ducati? You could probably recycle a lot from the cans you have.

SSSA is more of a priority than you think with underseat exhausts. It gives more room for your "up" pipe. Else you need an arm with space through or next to it like an r1 or 900 hornet. Or some horrible twisted link pipe (please no).

·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the comments a_morti. I hear your concerns and I'm not ignorant about it.

Extra complications? Yes, I agree. Especially with the stock swingarm...I am in fact only planning on going this route once I have a SSSA.

Noise? The two cans that was on the bike when it broke down are fairly loud but not harsh...and all they have in are the perforated inner tubes with no packing whatsoever...and I love the sound they make. With these new cans I am actually planning to install packing...so I am hoping to at least get roughly the same noise levels and sound out of them.

I just feel the three cans will fill up space between the sub-frame rails much better than two......

·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This project of mine is going to pick up speed in the next few weeks!!! :D

I finally picked up the engine spares I needed from Honda after a long wait so the engine assembly can start.

I decided to can the VFR800 project that I started with as there are a few critical sensors missing which Honda does not sell seperately so I am now parting out that bike.

That means the SSSA is going onto the VTR :D

I managed to do the basic fitting yesterday but the real fun is only now gonna start as I have to modify the rear header to clear the shock.

Today I sold the tailpiece of the VFR and with that money I bought a tailpiece plastic from an '09 R1 and also a 17 inch car wheel for the SSSA. I now also need to start a sub-frame for that tailpiece and then obviously seats too.

Here is where I am at now in terms of mocking things up...the wheel just sits on the studs to show off how it blends in...I quite like the look.

Reactions: Cookie2000ad

·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yesterday I made some progress on the sub-frame for the R1 tailpiece. The basic structure is complete but it still needs some mounting tabs and braces and also the battery box.

By the time I finished there wasn't good enough light for nice pics so I'll take pics today but here are at least pics of the upper half of the sub-frame with the tailpiece on it.

I like how slim this tailpiece is and I want to keep things as slim as possible:

At least the rear mounting tab for the tailpiece is already done but still need tabs for the front mounting points of the tailpiece:

Reactions: Cookie2000ad

·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I managed to make a fair bit of progress. Got the subframe finished...still need to fit the battery box though. Also managed to locate my exhaust cans...the old ones that were on the bike before the strip-down.

Tailpiece on and exhausts located:

I love the wide spacing of the exhausts...will need heat shield though:

·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Rear footpeg held in place with tape...still need to drill and tap holes in the mounts for them. I also cut the forward pipe from the exhausts:

Not much needed to get the forward pipe to clear the rear footpegs:

·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Now on to the handlebars. Here my main idea was to build something totally unique. To be honest I got the idea from one of these small black plastic toddler bikes.

So, the idea was to create a cover for the upper tripple clamp onto which two tube are welded that are large enough to go over the tops of the forks.

The top tripple clamp with previous bar mounting holes and the base plate for the cover. I haven't made the hole above the ignition yet as I couldn't find my 29mm hole-saw:

The base plate screwed on:

·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Next was to make the upright tubes and weld them to the base plate:

·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Now to 'box' the base plate with 25mm x 3mm flat-bar. BTW the base plate is also 3mm thick.

Test fitting the tripple clamp to determine where the slots for the clamps bolts must be cut:

Tripple clamp now sitting snuggly in the 'cover':

·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
After sometime spent on the actual bar they are done...well not 100%...the inner ends will get nice rounded caps. The tops of the uprights will also get rounded caps.

1 - 20 of 197 Posts