Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally picked up my first 'big' bike - a rather tidy K2 GSXR 1000.

After riding the supermoto for a few thousand miles, the cramped position and clip ons was brutal. Starting to get used to it a bit, but I really prefer dirt bars these days.
So, after having it for sale for a while, and nothing but the usual Facebook marketplace mouth breathers offering 40%, I think I might put the bike on a diet and give it a basic fairing-ectomy.

I took it for a run yesterday and had good fun. The engine is a peach!

So I'm away out to the garage to see how it looks naked. I quite like the shape of the tail, so that would probably stay as-is to start with.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
they ride great with flat bars
That's what I was hoping for! I had a shot of a 750 with flat bars a few years ago but I wasn't used to bars at all then.

I can't decide whether to drill and reinforce the yoke for risers, or get a conversion or kit from the likes of Moto CNC or ABM...

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've ordered a top yoke from Moto-CNC on ebay, and a nice Renthal bar. Looking forward to getting stuck in again!

Yeah I feel much more at home riding with bars these days after riding the 701 regularly. Just back from a flying visit to Braemar to bed in the new tyres on it, what a hoot

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
a lot cleaner than my k2.. thats for sure.

you may or may not need and or want new cables dpending on how high the riser/bars are.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
a lot cleaner than my k2.. thats for sure.

you may or may not need and or want new cables dpending on how high the riser/bars are.
I was a bit reluctant to strip it as it is quite clean, but I suppose it can't hurt to start with a clean base! I'm not doing anything irreversible anyway...yet!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not much to update - test fitted new top yoke and handlebar last night. They forgot to supply bolts with the yoke and risers so can't fully fit everything yet but it's looking good so far. I think I'll get away with the existing brake line as it was already a bit long, but not so lucky with the throttle and clutch cables.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sounds promising then. I'll have a go at that today. My headlight came yesterday so I'll offer that up as well.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Got my bolts in the post and loosely fitted everything. Drilled the bars for the locating pins on the switchgear. Throttle and clutch cables should reach, but I'm not sure on the best way of routing them? I'll see how they feel when I roll the bike out and turn either way.
The brake line does reach, but not by much, so I'll probably order another one.
It feels better already! I'll make a bracket for the brake reservoir while I'm waiting on fork clamps to test fit the headlight.

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
try and straighten the clutch cable out to atleast 45 degrees then run it under the clamp and under the tank with the throttle cables.

thats what i did at least.. seems to work good and hides the cable as much as possible.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
try and straighten the clutch cable out to atleast 45 degrees then run it under the clamp and under the tank with the throttle cables.

thats what i did at least.. seems to work good and hides the cable as much as possible.
I'd just tried that when I read this. I didn't think about straightening out the end though, good idea. I'll try that shortly!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cheers for that, seems to do the trick.

Can't wait to test ride it! If I can stuff all the excess wiring somewhere tomorrow I'll take it for a spin.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Picked up some thin aluminium flat bar today. Going to have a go at bending up some clamps for headlight brackets. Fed up of waiting on stuff from ebay...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts