Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've ridden a couple big bikes for short periods but never owned one. I'd like some input as to a large capacity bike that's not gonna try to flip me on my head everytime I accelerate. I'm fairly inexperienced with big bikes to be honest. My thoughts so far are-

Speed triple 1050
Fz1n
Sv1000
Z750/Z1000
Ducati monster 750cc+

Cost of spare parts for duke/triumph is a real concern.

The speed triple is the front runner just because I love the look of them and modification
potential.

The Fz1N is second on the list.

Any other ideas? Good/bad points on any of the bikes I mentioned.

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
I almost bought a speed triple couple of years back, although im still not all that experienced, i was even less experienced back then. It scared the living shit out of me, and im sure it still would.

Liter bike + inexperience + immaturity = death

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also gotta add that I'm 6'4, 110kg. A 600 is just too damn cramped for my liking. Way I figure it- a 750 is gonna get me in just as much trouble as a 1000 so may as well dive right in. I've had my bike license for 6 years (ridden for 2) and car for 12. So I have plenty of road time.

Dr jelly- dunno about immature, nearing 30, got a young child so I have no intention of riding like a crazy person.

It's also gotta have lots of fighter potential.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
IMO a comfortable riding position is priceless. You'll never feel in complete control if you have to consciously think about reaching for a lever, or rearranging your feet on the pegs, etc... My typical checklist for any type of vehicle goes :

Reliability
Comfort
Price
PO maintenance records.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Basement Fighterer
420 Posts
I'd say if you are a cheap ass like me look at the sv or z. Good value and plenty of power. From there cost just goes up as you go fz, s3, ducati... S3 has everything I want in a bike but they are pricey. If you have the money get whichever one tickles the most. Street triple is another option with a bit less power and decent comfort.

·
jamal avatar #1
3,443 Posts
fz1 for 3k, maybe a few bucks less.

the motor will outlast your ownership usually.

·
fatass needs corndogs
436 Posts
I would suggest the duc. They sre known to be a torture rack on long rides...with reason...but changing position of bars either up or slightly back is easy enough and puts the rider slightly more upright ehich maked it a ton more comfy...hell dropping them would too...basically a duc is a duc but needs bars swapped first thing. Or the gsxr literbike is a close second. Plenty power but really light. Comfy enough just a bit ugly out of the box

·
890 Posts
Everyone's got an opinion on that list.

Ride them all and buy the one that pushes the buttons the best.

Triumph and Ducati will be more expensive over here because.......they're Triumph and Ducati.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Also - ride a GSX1400.
Had a bit of a look at some pics online. The gsx 14 is not really my thing, cheers for the suggestion though. I'm more into the factory sports fighter style.

Im really looking for a daily ride that I can do some mild fightering while retaining factory reliability. Then intend to buy something else as a proper custom fighter project.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I would pass on the SV1000 having owned one there are several really shittily engineered bits that can turn the ownership experience very sour very fast.

I would go with the speed trip.

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
I would pass on the SV1000 having owned one there are several really shittily engineered bits that can turn the ownership experience very sour very fast.

I would go with the speed trip.
Elaborate on the sv please. I kinda wanted one cause i thought they were great

·
890 Posts
Had a bit of a look at some pics online. The gsx 14 is not really my thing, cheers for the suggestion though. I'm more into the factory sports fighter style.

Im really looking for a daily ride that I can do some mild fightering while retaining factory reliability. Then intend to buy something else as a proper custom fighter project.
You can bling the 14 up quite nicely IMO.....

1 - 20 of 43 Posts