Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off this is my first time building a bike by myself. Any helpful hints tips tricks whatever is greatly appreciated also.

So I got a 95 gsxr 750w for 300 dollars ImageUploadedByMO Free1386364079.644726.jpg
This is the way I seen it for the first time.

So after talking to the seller I find out that his little brother had rebuilt the engine as well as the carbs. Both tires are pretty much 50 miles or less. So after getting almost all the plastics a box of bolts, hoses, clamps etc etc just miscellaneous stuff and a complete engine.

ImageUploadedByMO Free1386364414.185702.jpg
This is the way it came to the house.

So I put the bike in my shed and got to work. The engine was put in, clutch hooked up, throttle cable, and finally my choke. Now my motor isn't bolted in all the way since I want to hear it fire off first and run correctly before I secure it into the frame.
ImageUploadedByMO Free1386364659.364499.jpg

Now for my final status on my new toy.
I found a battery that fits the tray for testing purposes only. I'm trying to fire it off though it's frozen rain coming down today, but I figured I'd at least try it.
ImageUploadedByMO Free1386365207.732374.jpg
Sorry for all the mud on the bike but like I said it's freezing rain right now.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
27 Posts
youve got a good plain cannvis to work on :) lets just hope this guys brother did a good job rebuilding the engine and carbs :thumbsup:

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Damn man $300 is a steal!
Did you get the title? :) lol..

Either way, subscribed for action...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I've been out for the past two days trying to get it to start. I'm going to replace the spark plugs on pay day and check compression once it warms up a little bit. I am also probably going to pull the carbs off and clean them up.
I'm getting spark for sure firing order is correct also and it would only give a bang out the exhaust with some fuel directly into the carbs. (No tank at the time)
Anyways that's all I have for today if anyone has some experience with these starting problems feel free to give out insight, or suggestions with this problem.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I been busy between working and everything. I got tired of the same thing from my bike not starting at all so I decided it must be the timing and that is where I got this little surprise. ImageUploadedByMO Free1387057407.861875.jpg
All through the intake side bolt one tappet worth a flip. So now to find a set of these double check the timing out and I should be good to go.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Ouch that looks rough. Did you find all the pieces. I don't think I have ever seen that before. At least you got the bike for a good price. Gives you some room to spend on her. Good luck and keep us posted

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well first update in a while, I've been busy. Bought my shim buckets or tappets as they are technically called in the mail today. Went out to the bike to pull the old ones out with no luck so tomorrow I will be pulling the head off the bike to replace the intake side. (Hopefully)
Wish me luck on this since it's my first head job on a bike...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well today I got the head off pretty easily I might add. Started checking everything out ImageUploadedByMO Free1388888561.990762.jpg
Pistons look new to me bit of gunk but that wiped off.
ImageUploadedByMO Free1388888607.318840.jpg
Don't know if you can tell but all the cross hatching looks great too.

ImageUploadedByMO Free1388888657.798903.jpg
Now I got all the shim buckets out on the intake side ( which was a pain in the a$$) this is what all I found ImageUploadedByMO Free1388888725.970094.jpg

ImageUploadedByMO Free1388888735.890307.jpg
Here is all the broken shim buckets (tappets)

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
How the hell does that even happen to the tappets? Ive been wrenching on/building bikes for years and have been inside TONS of motors and have never seen that before.

·
Fresh outta Fighter camp!
357 Posts
Dude, Ive been pulling and rebuilding outboard engines, bike/quad motors, and a few cars in the last 13 years. I have never seen cracked buckets like that. Almost like they were installed crooked, or bound up in the head, and when it was cranked over the cam slammed it and cracked it. Either way, I would want to tear that motor all the way down to clean out all the crank and rod journals to make sure there is no pulverized metal.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah I pulled the jug set and was spinning the crank around looking for anything. Didn't see anything thankfully now if I can just find a cheap head complete I think it will be able to finally start up lol.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Good luck

1 - 20 of 30 Posts