Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in March I bought my first bike from a friend. It had some body damage, but it wasn't that bad. After using it as my commuter for the last 5 months without fixing it, the problems slowly got worse until a couple weeks ago when a fairing flew off on the freeway. No money for brand new fairings, so I'm making it into a streetfighter! As I said, this is my first bike, so I'm kinda learning as I go.
The build is already pretty much finished, but I just found out about this website, so I figured I'd share my progress

Here it is before I lost the fairing. Already done work to it since I got, but this was my starting point for this build. You can see the side fairings have been replaced with these sheets of ugliness. You can't see, but the right side of the front fairing is pretty much completely gone and the headlight assembly is cracked in half.

This was after I lost the fairing on the freeway. You can kind of see some of the damage to the front end.

While investigating the damage, I found this shoved inside my frame. This is my radiator overflow hose.

Got it from home and took everything apart.

Here's my RAM air fix. Can someone please tell me if I did this right? Or if there's anything else I need to do?

Painting the frame, tank, and tail

Headlight came in yesterday. This big bulb is 6k HID and the small bulb is pretty much useless. Probably going to paint the top to match

Here's how she sits in my garage right now. This weekend I'm gonna pick up some higher grit sand paper and some rubbing compound so I can wet sand all the orange peel away.

So I'm off to the garage to try and mount the headlight and figure out what to do with my gauges. Thoughts? Advice? Criticism?

·
ZX-6R Fighterer
457 Posts
That's one ghetto overflow lol. Welcome to the forum and a great bike to fighter. Looks like you're getting off to a good start. I think you got the ram air figured out I did mine differently by capping off the ram air holes in the frame and letting that carb hose sit on the radiator. Here are some pics of that:

As for some criticism I'd be careful with that light. Doesn't fit the bike but that's just my opinion and it looks very sketchy to me. The last light (cheap piece of junk with crappy low powered bulbs) I had decided to fry its wires on me during the middle of a ride and I had to ride home at 8:30 at night with only my hazards on. Great job on the build so far and again welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I'm digging the mesh over the frame holes... I've been trying to decide what to with mine.

The main complaint I've heard about cheap lights is how dim they are. I'm hoping since I added the HID, that it will be good enough. Build quality actually seems decent. Not great, but I don't doubt that will serve it's purpose.

Here it is "mounted" on the bike. Nothings wired, I just threw it on to get an idea. I'm diggin the look, and I like the asymmetrical thing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks great. I was thinking about that headlight as well. Hope it works out for you.
I'll let you know how it works out. I ran out of time yesterday and had to go to work, so I'm on my way to try and wire it up and get it mounted correctly right now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bought a new battery. This is the battery that I took out of the bike. Not even a motorcycle battery. Since there was no where to actually connect to the terminal, the PO drilled a screw straight into the block of the battery. You can kind of see the holes, especially on the negative post. Sketched me out, I'm glad I replaced it!

Also, here's a look at the exhaust. Came like this from the PO. Just sawed the stock can straight in half.

Here's a video I took a while ago. It's super loud so it overloaded my phone mic, it actually doesn't sound terrible

Here's a video I took a while ago of the exhaust. It's super loud so it overloaded my phone mic, it actually doesn't sound terrible

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Headlight is connected and mounted. Just look at this mean bastard

This is my city light. It's really more of a glow. I already ordered a blacklight LED to replace it, should be here Monday.

and here's with the HID on. Seems super bright! we'll see how much visibility it provides tonight, once the sun goes down

All that's left is to mount the gauges, which I'm gonna try to tackle tomorrow... I have a couple ideas in mind but entirely sure how it's gonna work yet.

And mount some kind of bottle for my radiator overflow. Again, I have a couple ideas but I'll figure it out as I go.

Also going to try and pick up some 2000 grit sandpaper tonight to wet sand the orange peel away.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got my new coolant reservoir mounted. There will be another bracket on the top that connects to the hole on the left, just need to get a bolt that will fit in there.

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Wow man you saved that bike from a horrible life with the previous owner!

WTF, who does that to a battery!?...Or coolant overflow...Or exhaust for that matter...

Do work....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow man you saved that bike from a horrible life with the previous owner!

WTF, who does that to a battery!?...Or coolant overflow...Or exhaust for that matter...

Do work....
Thanks! I'm doing what I can. I should clarify, I said I bought it from a friend, but he's not the one that did all this. He bought it and rode it home, then a week later he laid down his gsxr, so he didn't touch this one for a couple months until I bought it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I rode it work yesterday and everything was awesome. Here's the low beam. Its actually about 100 times brighter than I thought it was, but it's still not very useful

This is the HID. Not a great picture because the brightness in the middle makes it hard to see how bright it really is, but it lit up the whole highway last night.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's a closeup of the mount for the overflow. Two L brackets from Home Depot, some weather stripping to protect the can from the hose clamps that hold it to the brackets. About 10 bucks.

A better pic of it mounted

I really like energy drinks

finished for now!

·
ZX-6R Fighterer
457 Posts
Here's a closeup of the mount for the overflow. Two L brackets from Home Depot, some weather stripping to protect the can from the hose clamps that hold it to the brackets. About 10 bucks.

A better pic of it mounted

I really like energy drinks

finished for now!

Nice work beardo. Any plans for the ram air tubes or exhaust?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts