Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!
Been lurking this site for years.
Picked up a cheap bike this summer just to have a cheap street bike to run around on and save the tires on my thumper.
Grabbed this non-running 1983 GS750E for $200...

Had it running and on the road for another $200. It ran, but the carbs needed to be synced, and it was fugly, but for $400...not half bad.
Grabbed a few things that I had from other projects, and did some click-shopping.
This is how it sits now:

So far, ProTaper bars, Koso guage, 06 Gixxer light, and some bar end mirrors. May lower that light a touch...
Tomorrow, I start on the subframe to replace the big black marshmallow with one from an 05 Monster.
Ultimately, USD forks, new swinger, better wheels and rubber. Would love a bigger engine, but will definitely be looking at EFI over the winter...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It seems to be a decent bike.
I've only put 60km on it. Dug into it and found one carb was drawing almost 50inhg and the valves had .07 lash.
Once the subframe is fabbed, I'm gonna change the oil and throw some miles on it...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Been a busy day...sold a bike, which took a lot of the morning. However, there has been a bit of work done. Stripped the bike down and started chopping...looks better already.

Got the top tubes capped off and some brackets glued on there. My POS welder is giving me grief with usteady feed and the game has been temporarily called on account of rain.
Fuck, I need a garage. :doh:
There have been challenges but I hope to get the seat at least sitting in position today...

·
Chief Breakshit Engineer
223 Posts
every time i see one of these, I think how you could have a project thats a modern take on the original katana:

especially when you can get these on the cheap compared to a real katana. Looks like you've gone down another path, so I'll see what you come up with.

Good luck with the project

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Love those early Katanas. Definitely a design that appeals to me more as I slide past my mid-thirties.
Hopefully you guys approve of the direction I'm going. If not, well, there ya go. I welcome the feedback either way.
So, in between downpours and getting sidetracked a couple times, I was able to get the seat in position...really, really rough, but u get the idea.

·
Registered
222 Posts
cool build, but I'm biased owning an 83 es myself. Always wanted to know what they looked like with a different sub frame, but too chicken to cut mine up. Can't wait to see what you do.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Mista...I spent many hours staring at the bike with cigar burning wondering how I would do it. Then I just said fuck it and fired up the cutoff wheel. Forced me to find a solution and DW.
That being said, in the next couple of days, I'm gonna redo the top brackets to strengthen them a bit.

Wlecome any recommendations from someone that has done this...

Also not sure i'm liking the headlight. Will lower it a little, but not sure if it will help much.
Opinions? Too big? Considering twin 4" lights or possibly the simple 7"...discuss :)

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
The seat looks great in that position especially where it it comes into the tank.
But..... :)

Damn it looks like the seat height is way up there!
Subscribed! This should be a good one...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks F'dup. Just did a quick measure...looks like the seat is somewhere around 33 or 34 inches. For reference, my xr650 is right around 39inches...
I'm 6'2, so I'm alright with it...besides, at a light you only need a toe down...

·
Chief Breakshit Engineer
223 Posts
For the seat position, the front end will likely be shorter if you end up putting USD's on it. What may be a slight angle now may end up being a little more extreme if the front end gets lowered. I had to remove foam in my seat to adjust the angle the seat top was. Now its more comfy than stock!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Handy bit of info about the USD swap. Will keep that in mind when that swap happens this winter.
I am a little concerned about the angle...looks like it may send the boys down into the tank...may end up adjusting things after the first ride.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Finally got a chance to do some work on the Suzi this weekend. Several changes and a ching-chong welder with inconsistent wire feed meant I didn't get as much done as I would like, but the subframe is 90% done. Just have to fab a spot under the seat for electricals and hang a mount for the battery.
The way it sits now, the top curve of the tank flows awesomely with the lines of the seat. I definitely sit more 'on top' and forward on the bike now, the pegs and bars seem to be perfectly spaced for the new position. The seat is higher, but I still stand flat foot.
Super happy with it right now. Got dark, so I had to shut it down, so no pics.
Working tomorrow, but after that there will be pics...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As promised, the results of this weekend...

Really have to drop that headlight...

Will get a more detailed pic of the subframe when its complete and cleaned up. Not gonna lie, some of those welds are not pretty...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks jmartin1110...
I thought it would look good, but now that its on, it matches the tank curves perfectly. Even where the tank and seat match isn't overly horrible.

Now, on the subject of perfection...that pic in your sig...just sit here waiting to see what it does next...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So I was thinkin to myself; "Self, what are you forgetting?"
Right! Right! Right! Completely forgot to update the build thread...
So I was able to get everything buttoned up in time for a week of riding at the end of September. Was able to get about 700km on it before it was stored. Runs alright, kinda surges occasionally on the highway, inconsistent power when the throttle is cracked, and the Koso dash flashes on/off. I suspect a coil. One of them has been monkeyed with by the PO and the resealed with clear silicone...maybe shorting to the frame?
Really digging the bike though. Seating position is comfy as hell, can ride all day.
In all, pretty happy with the bike...

Next up:
Suspension
Wider rims, better rubber
Microsquirt

How it sits now:

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Looks good. You defiantly need to do something about the headlight doesn't fit the bike. I think if you left the tank the way it was and got rear cowl for the monster seat and painted it like the tank it would have looked better. But that's just my .02 it looks good though nice work

1 - 20 of 23 Posts