Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my GW last week and started experimenting with. Traded a smartphone for the bike so it was a pretty good deal. Rode the bike home and it rode fine.
I don't like GoldWings, but the idea of transforming it and make it 'mine' is very attractive.

The bike had an accident and was dropped on the left side. Not too bad, all the engine guards, bags and fairings took the hit, and once stripped, there was no sign of damage.
Rode home from Long Beach on just the frame with the engine, no accessories, gauges, lights, super bold tire in the back.

The bike has 153k miles :) Runs like a dream but is missing a lot of parts.
I ordered pretty much everything, but I'm not sure what i'm going to do with the front leaking forks, rebuild or go with a Busa or gixer front end.

This is the Aspencade model that comes with all the options and fairings and bags. Plus the pneumatic suspension that i will probably upgrade to work with the new shocks.

This is how i came home (plus the huge couch that's not in the image)

Plans: (all parts are ordered so the easy part is done)
Not looking for a perfect and super clean bike (already have one). And i'm not sure what this will end up as. Cafe/Rat/Bobber/StreetFighter - don't care as long as i like how it looks.
Checked a bunch of build threads and found very few that actually had an ending.
Most of the GoldWing projects get dumped/sold/junked.

I WANT TO:
Drop it low
Cut the Frame behind the seat
Convert the huge stock couch into a Solo Seat
Change the Retro LCD Huge instrument cluster to something more old schoolish
Different handle bars with grips and mirrors
All new lights including blinkers
New tires
License Plate Mount
Rebuild/Swap the front leaking forks
Some basic maintenance with oil, coolant and brakes

Rattle can PAINT !

Get rid of most of the wiring that was used for the CB radio, Air Suspension, LCD cluster and all the rest of the GoldWing BS

Here's the progress so far.
- Cut the damaged exhaust and left the headers open. I have an idea for that and i doubt i will just leave the headers like that. Probably add some tips to it
- Replaced Throttle Cables
- Left battery Cover that was missing originally
- Replaced the rear shocks with shorter adjustable shocks - I want this bike as low as i can ride it.
- Destroyed the stock couch to use the seat base and see what i can do with it.
- Got rid of the stock pneumatic suspension components.
- Got rid of the Air Filter Box
- Trashed a lot of the wiring that was extra
- Got rid of the Timing Belt Cover and will probably leave the Gears exposed. Just paint them.

·
110 Posts
Leaving the timing belt covers off is a really bad idea.

I put a Valkyrie solo seat on my 81. Had to fab up some mounting brackets but it worked good, sat good and looked good.

Put BSA A65 handlebars on also. Get them from EMGO. you'll need shorter throttle tube and grips.

Progressive fork springs will make a huge difference, cost less than $100.

Careful changing out the guages, The 83 has self-canceling turn signals, overdrive indicator, and angle sensor that run through that conglomeration.

I always ran Bridgestone Spitfire tires. Dual compound for good mileage and handling. Lower it too much and you'll be scraping the valve covers.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chopped the rear of the frame yesterday and started removing the swing arm to replace the tire and paint what's necessary. Progress is slow but i'm happy i can get at least something done with my schedule

Not sure if i want a fender in the back or not. I really didn't plan to have a fender there, but the lines must 'flow' so i'm not sure anymore.
(the bike is on the center stand so it seats very high in the picture)

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
i wish i had kept my 1100. and id definitely agree about leaving those covers off. seen a few in my area get fucked cause of road crap getting caught in there

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Some progress from yesterday.

Mounted new rear tire, can't put the wheel back until i extend the brake caliper mount about 2 inches (hopefully today)
Connected the ignition switch and finally saw the lights on the old broken instrument cluster
Replaced the handle bar and have to decide on the angle of the bars after i ride it for a while

Not sure if i want to have both the Tach and Speedo, i think i'll just keep the speedometer in the center and add the Temp, Fuel and Voltage gauges in the fake tank

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Leaving the timing belt covers off is a really bad idea.

I put a Valkyrie solo seat on my 81. Had to fab up some mounting brackets but it worked good, sat good and looked good.

Put BSA A65 handlebars on also. Get them from EMGO. you'll need shorter throttle tube and grips.

Progressive fork springs will make a huge difference, cost less than $100.

Careful changing out the guages, The 83 has self-canceling turn signals, overdrive indicator, and angle sensor that run through that conglomeration.

I always ran Bridgestone Spitfire tires. Dual compound for good mileage and handling. Lower it too much and you'll be scraping the valve covers.

Thanks for the tips.
Partially agree with the timing belt cover, but i'll rarely ride the bike and 99% of the time it's sunny and dry in Southern California. I haven't set my mind to it yet, but like how it looks.
Plus, i see a lot of primary belt covers removed on choppers and they seem to like it.

I'm working on recovering the stock seat since it already has all the mounting for this bike. I just need a new pad and probably reuse the old 'leather' cover.

I ordered new grips and they should be a little shorter. There's barely any space on the handle bar to mount anything

Progressive springs are on my list, but i'm leaving that for later.
My bike has the Air Suspension + TRAC anti dive front forks and idk how progressive springs work with that set up. Just need some time to do the research. But i'm defiantly doing something with those forks.
If i get the springs, seals and fluids + the time spent - a good used set of forks. That's why i'm hesitant to order the parts for it.
It may make more sense to just order a set of same stock dry used forks for 100$ on ebay.

As far as the gauges... :) I'm only keeping the Speedometer on the handle bar.
I'll probably mount the Fuel and Temp gauge as well, since i already have all the parts, but i'm not sure if i'll have everything on that small handlebar.
May be mount the fuel gauge on the Fuel Door :)

I will have a circuit that comes from Clutch Lever switch and engages the relay that 'powers' the Start button. Everything else will be bypassed.

·
Registered
48 Posts
this thing is bad ass. i like the long slab side tanks. i aslo like how big and low it is. a goldwing is on my list. any idea what kind of weight you shed taking off all the junk?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
this thing is bad ass. i like the long slab side tanks. i aslo like how big and low it is. a goldwing is on my list. any idea what kind of weight you shed taking off all the junk?
Not sure about the weights but i can hardly lift the box with all the parts i'm trashing.
Probably close to the weight of a passenger :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
More progress from the weekend
Installed the Rear Wheel back and tighten the swing arm
Rear Fender
License Plate Holder and License Plate
Rear Blinkers are partially installed too

Started working on the exhaust but ran out of wrap :( Need to order some more.
Also started figuring out the front wiring harness and need to see what i'm leaving on the bike

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The current handlebar won't work :(
It sits too low and hits the fuel tank, i need to either install raisers and ruin the lines that i have planned or.... :) install Clip-Ons and make it even better.
I wanted to have my controls lower than the tank and clip ons are perfect for that.
Just ordered a set for the 39mm forks at 7/8 to match y controls. New Handle Grips are on their way as well.
Installed the Ignition Switch yesterday and continued working on the seat.

·
Registered
50 Posts
This "OldWing" is looking sick I like the lines on it with the handlebars you have got on there its a a real shame there not working but still think the clip on's is going to do the trick can't wait to see your finished bike.... GOOOOOODOS!!!!:)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts